How to ease the mind of my friends 1st cruise

Ok, with all the stuff in the papers and on the news about Cruise ship accidents and sickness lately, how do I ease the mind on my best friends first cruise with me in Dec. Every once in a while she reads or hears from others the news reports and brings it up to me, like, am I aware. I say yes, I am aware but don't pay to much attention to it all because it happens everywhere, everyday and not to worry.

Does anyone have any helpfull ways I can ease her mind.

Considering how many cruises go out every week, the number of problems is really extremely low. It's like flying or driving, most people go through life without anything but minor inconveniences. I've been on three cruises and the only problems I've ever had could have happened on a land vacation. The minor annoyances were worth it to see a new destination every day while not having to pack and unpack my suitcase. Cruising is the most relaxing but at the same time fun and exciting vacation that I've ever experienced.

Tell her she could get sick at the mall....or at work...or at the grocery store.....or Home Depot....or school......or at a bar...or a restaurant.......or church.....or at an airport.........that's the reality of it.

Car accidents happen every day. When a plane crashes or a cruise ship has troubles, it's big news, precisely because it's unusual.

Tell your friend that thousands and thousands and thousands of people set sail every day and have a wonderful time. That's why it's newsworthy when they don't.

I got sick after my last cruise on the Destiny (A cold and nausea), but did it impact my vacation....absolutely not. Any time you put 2000+ people in one place, you are bound to be exposed to germs. The experience of a cruise far exceeds the chance of getting sick.

The news media likes to sensationalize, that's what makes us stay up for the "news at 11" and then it turns out to be no big deal. Your frined will not be at ease until after her cruise (or during) you really can't make someone feel or know about something until they have tried it.

The sickness, well, the ships have to report noro-virus after 2% of crew/pax are affected by it. No one else does, not hospitals, office buildings, schools or hotels, even though it may occur in higher percentages there. So a ship with 3500 people has to report to CDC is 70 people get sick. I'd like the news to report, just once, that 70 people got sick, but the other 3430 people are feeling great.

The recent bedbug scare is pretty funny. There is something like 9 million cruisers during the year and only 2 cases that I know of have been reported. At least that problem has been in the media about hotels, too.

Tell your friend to wash his/her hands constantly...bring the waterless anti-bacterial and carry it around. Seriously, wash your hands frequently and keep your hands away from your face!! I teach preschool and we wash our hands and have the kids wash their hands every 15 minutes (we sent a timer and make a game out of it). We teachers keep our hands away from our faces at all times (takes getting used to, but it WORKS!)

Amanda:D

Thanks for ALL the replies, I am going to have her read all the responses because coming from everyone else with different answers should ease her mind. It's so true about the % that get ill, to bad it's not reported anywhere else, it makes the cruise ships look bad. I am sure once she has sailed she'll love it. I did not realize how many people actually cruise every year. Thanks again.

Archived