Spending 3 days pre cruise in Miami...where to stay and what to do

Newbie41

Hi,

Dh and I have never been to Miami and we are taking a cruise departing from there. We would like to spend 3 days there prior to our cruise. Dh read in a guidebook that downtown Miami is dangerous at night. Is this true? We were thinking about staying in Miami Beach or South Beach. Is this a good idea? We don't want to rent a car while we are there, so is it possible to get around by walking, using public transportation, or using taxis from either of these areas? Also are there any don't miss attractions?

Downtown Miami such as the hotels near Bayside is not dangerous. However, like any city you should always be aware of your surroundings.

You can use all forms of transportation in places such as the downtown area and Miami/South Beach but again if late at night do pay attention to your surroundings which is the same advice I would give you for any city around the world.

We stay several dans and enjoy the downtown area but some might want to be in the South Beach area for the beaches and for all of the restaurants, and other venues that are in very close proximity of each other.

We do not rent a car and spend five to six days. We like to walk and will take taxis and the like.

Keith

I would not stay in downtown Miami for 3-days pre-cruise; it's fine for one night before sailing, or for a night or two while on business, but you'll have much more fun and find much more to do - dining, nightlife, beach, art galleries, museums, and even more nightlife, in South Beach. :D

Miami Beach is the "Miami" you see in the movies and on TV shows -- it is a separate city from Miami, and the hotels there tend to be smaller and more expensive -- they also offer great dining, nightlife and a world class beach. A taxi to South Beach from MIA will run $32+ and another $15 cab will get you to POM.

Do some homework on Oyster and Trip Advisor before booking your hotel. Good luck! :)

Keith and John, Thank you. We have been doing some research and are leaning toward staying in South Beach. Any hotel recommendations there would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking we will have to pay between $200 and $250 to get a nice room at a hotel close to the beach. For those that have been there, does this seem reasonable?

Keith and John, Thank you. We have been doing some research and are leaning toward staying in South Beach. Any hotel recommendations there would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking we will have to pay between $200 and $250 to get a nice room at a hotel close to the beach. For those that have been there, does this seem reasonable?

Not sure what time of year you are looking at but check out http://www.hotwire.com or http://www.lmt.com for hotel options.

My dh & I are staying 1 pre cruise night at the Essex house in south beach. Great reviews. Then heading 2 pre cruise nights to the courtyard marriott downtown Miami because I'm running the Miami half marathon & it's close the the start/finishline. Found that on lmt fir $126. Per night. Good rates for the busy marathon.

Re the downtown area being 'unsafe'.....is the Hampton Inn Brickell classified as being in this downtown area? Are you suggesting to catch a taxi after dark? Is public transport not recommended after dark? Or do you mean to simply keep vigilant/sensible, as you would in any city? Just wonderin'. Thanks.

We have stayed in downtown Miami pre-cruise at the Intercontinental

and it was VERY nice. I booked it thru Last Minute Travel as well for $100 a night. There is a sidewalk from the hotel to Bayside that is a short walk away. Bayside has lots of weekend entertainment outdoors and tons of

restaurants and outdoor shopping. There is a Hard Rock Cafe and Bubba Gumps. You can also catch a bus to South Beach across the street from the hotel. There is also a brand new Marriott just built close to the Intercontinental. I could see it from the Pool deck at the IC.

South Beach is FABULOUS! took the duck there and it was fun.

That would def be a great place to stay!!!!

Archived