Hawaii crossing from San Diego

fernem

Hi, everyone.

I need advice. Last March my DH and I sailed from Hawaii to Ensenada and the crossing was blustery and we rarely could walk the deck or luxuriate on our veranda ... as we love to do on transatlantics. This upcoming April we are booked on a round trip San Diego to Hawaii (we live in the Bay Area and it is such a convenient cruise for us). Now I am fearing that the Pacific crossings are always kind of rough and blustery, rather than calm and warm.

Can anyone let me know their experience with this? I am hoping we just had a rough crossing but when I ask people (I just got off the Equinox on Friday after a fabulous Med cruise), most say the crossing is most often this way.

I would appreciate help before I have to deal with final payment.

Thank you in advance.

fern

While I obviously can't predict the weather and sea conditions next April, we were on the Century fifteen night San Diego to Hawaii round-trip departing October 20th. Both the crossing to Hawaii and return were incredibly smooth. And Ensenada was just a quick evening port stop on the return so we didn't have to deal with buses from Ensenada to San Diego. It was a very relaxing cruise.

Only the first 36 hours are on any porblem with mild sea and cooler weather close to the Calif coast. April weather here is always ( I hate to say that word but it fits here) great High 84 low 72 trade winds 10 to 20 from the NE

Remember the ship will be doing about 18 to 21 knots ( that insures a min of 20 mps wind) and knowing too that structural features of the ship can cause wind burbles that will enhance the effect of the wind

I would suggest the lowest outside deck 1./4 the way aft from the focle

On the return its the 180 of the DH

Want less wind get a cabin on the port side ! SW.. going Starbord

For the vast majority of trips in vessels from 40 ft to 800 has always been a delight.

Thanks for your feedback, everyone.

I do imagine the ship goes equally fast across the Atlantic but we had have very smooth trips doing those. I guess we will just have to see how much we like to gamble. I agree, round trip San Diego is going to be better than one way Ensenada! But we will have an awful lot of sea days ... which we love ... and really want smooth sailing so that we can walk the decks and read in lounge chairs on the veranda. For us, it's a very expensive trip to take without enough reward if we can't walk a lot outside. We chose April because the weather is so nice in Hawaii. That's the easy part!

Thanks again.

Fern

From everything I have read it really is just a crapshoot. I did a RT Hawaii cruise from San Diego this past April and it was rough a couple days, other days were calm. Some days were cloudy and cooler, others were hot. There really was no rhyme or reason to it. I will say that I loved the trip and plan on doing it again after we knock out some other big cruises.

From everything I have read it really is just a crapshoot. I did a RT Hawaii cruise from San Diego this past April and it was rough a couple days, other days were calm. Some days were cloudy and cooler, others were hot. There really was no rhyme or reason to it. I will say that I loved the trip and plan on doing it again after we knock out some other big cruises.

Agreed, we had a mix of rough and relatively calm days.

By contrast for our two TA's we had relatively calm on one sailing, and then the next time it was like a Sunday afternoon sail on lake, very smooth.

Did San Diego to Hawaii and return in late October 2011...it was very smooth. WE aso had reservations./concerns about sea conditions but everything turned out much much better than expected...both comming and gooing. NOw the trip just before our ran into some rough weather and the Century actually had to be diverted to assist a disabled sail boat...see the following story

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2011/11/articles/rescue-1/celebrity-century-cruise-ship-rescues-injured-sailor-in-pacific/

We just got off the Century on Monday and for the most part the weather was quite nice. Since we are from South Florida, it was slightly cooler than we like on some days; but it was normally in the 70's and the decks were very full of people taking in the sun. There was a lot of wind, which made it feel cooler to me. I would think the weather would be even nicer in April.

The first 2 days of of San Diego, the ship rocked a bit more than I like; but they weren't using the stabilizers, which I thought strange.

The ships often do not use their stabilizers as it requires more fuel and it slows them down. People think Captains automatically turn them on when it gets rocky but unfortunately that is just not the case. They use them when they are absolutely necessary, and when they have alot of time in-between ports and can afford to move slowly.

We were on the trip on 20 Oct and the Captain came to almost all the Elite events. I discussed the stabalisers on several occasions and he told me that they were out for the full trip.

That is interesting. On the bridge tour for the Nov. 4 cruise, the officer on duty said ours were not and hadn't been used. It was still a wonderful cruise either way.

Archived