Summer prices after the paid in full date: Good or bad?

Grenouille21

We are thinking about a Disney Cruise in 2013 but the price is prohibitive. I would really rather go on a Disney cruise than go on any other ship, but it costs more money and I can't afford it when I include the cost of flying in to Florida and staying overnight, plus the cost of excursions.

Does the cost decrease after the paid in full date for August cruises?

Thanks!

Historically this had not been the case, but now with so many ships they are running a lot of specials, even during summer. The later you travel in August the higher the likelihood of a reduced rate, which would likely entail a guaranteed rate (Inside guarantee, outside guarantee, veranda guarantee). You can't choose your room and must take what they give you, and fares are non-refundable. There is also no guarantee that the rate would turn up when you want to go, so it is a little risky, particularly when you need to factor in airfare.

There's always a possibility the the fare could decrease after final payment with the most aggressive prices within a month of sailing. However, you're hedging your bets against a popular cruise line during the most in-demand season. Add to that is the fact that airfare could become prohibitively expensive if you wait.

While I have taken advantage of a few last minute details in the past, they have only been economical on drive-to ports for me or with ports where regional airfare is constantly low because of competition. Further, on my last few cruises, the price has only risen after final payment. For the Disney Fantasy, the fare for my cabin is actually $1500 more than what I paid initially for an inside and all other categories show as unavailable.

DCL will offer what they call Last Minute Restricted Rates on cruises that aren't selling well. Typically these offers come out after the paid in full date. While these rates are lower than the rates currently being offered on a specific cruise, they are, for the most part, higher than the rates would have been for the same room if you had booked on opening day. These rates (if they do offer them) generally appear at about 30-45 days out from a specific cruise.

There are several restrictions for these rooms:

When booking this restricted-fare category stateroom,

please note the following:

• New bookings only. Existing reservations cannot be modified to these new categories.
  • You are reserving a stateroom within the selected stateroom type: Inside, Oceanview or Verandah*.
  • Disney Cruise Line will assign your specific stateroom at a later time, based on remaining availability.
  • Specific stateroom requests will not be accommodated.
  • Full payment is required at the time of booking for all Guests and is non-refundable.
  • Sail date and stateroom category changes are not permitted.
  • The stateroom offer cannot be combined with any other discounted or promotional offer.
  • Full legal names of all Guests are required at time of booking and no name changes are allowed.
  • * Most Verandah staterooms include a private verandah with a clear plexiglass wall; some may include a solid white wall depending upon location. A limited number of Oceanview and Verandah staterooms may include a partially obstructed view.

Most important of these is there are no changes, you cannot select or request specific rooms, and they must be paid if full with NO refunds.

:)

Archived