Fantasy Photo Review: My Dad's Bucket Cruise!

MtnBikerFallDown

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For all of you who followed along, made great suggestions and had such kind words; an update:

My father passed away New Year's Eve, in the early morning. He was hospitalized from 12/23/12, and from the moment he entered, until he was unresponsive, he had a smile for every person who entered the room. He said his goodbyes and he made his peace. He passed away quietly, and left a large hole in this world (as far as I'm concerned).

I am SO glad that we took this cruise together. It was hard pushing the wheelchair, it was hard seeing him get so tired, but OH... the memories, and the joy of being with him far outweighed any problems.

Again, a thank you to everyone.

I'm very sorry for your loss. It sounds like the way my Dad left this world. But what a lucky man, to be blessed with such a wonderful family, and to have been able to take his final "bucket" cruise. Memories his loved ones will always cherish. You are an amazing daughter....

For all of you who followed along, made great suggestions and had such kind words; an update:

My father passed away New Year's Eve, in the early morning. He was hospitalized from 12/23/12, and from the moment he entered, until he was unresponsive, he had a smile for every person who entered the room. He said his goodbyes and he made his peace. He passed away quietly, and left a large hole in this world (as far as I'm concerned).

I am SO glad that we took this cruise together. It was hard pushing the wheelchair, it was hard seeing him get so tired, but OH... the memories, and the joy of being with him far outweighed any problems.

Again, a thank you to everyone.

Emily thank you for letting all of us share this time with your family. I very much enjoyed looking at the pictures of your beautiful Dad. When I saw this thread up again today I didn't want to open it because I was afraid it was not going to be good news.

I too am so glad you were able to take this cruise with your Dad. You have memories now that will be with you forever. You are a good daughter and did everything you could to help him full fill that "bucket list".

My condolences to you and all your family.........

There go my allergies again - Emily, I am truly sorry for your loss. But looking back, I am sure that you and your Mom are so happy that he was able to go on the cruise and create lifelong memories for everyone, even your cruise critic friends! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Ok, Kiddo, just wanted to thank you for making all a part of the larger family circle. We cruised Fantasy from, 12-25 to 12-30. While aboard, I toasted your Dad and your family, wishing you health and life....and your sharing the story has allowed his name to be remembered.

Condolences, kiddo. Still want to cruise with your family.

Emily, you and your family have my most sincere condolences during this difficult time. I lost someone very, very dear to me on Christmas and it's never easy. Luckily, I flew halfway across the country last year to see this person, spend some amzing time camping and hiking and enjoying each other and I am so glad I did. That trip has given me so many wonderful moments and memories that give me comfort right now. I know that the memories from this trip will help you too.

May your father rest peacefully, knowing how loved he was.

A friend made a slideshow of him for the funeral, and it had SO many pictures from our various cruises. I realized how many wonderful memories we'd made on ships with him through the years. I am so glad we took that cruise, and all the others.

Let me give you some unsolicited advice, folks. If you can afford it, do it. Put off the new kitchen cabinets for a while. Wear last year's jeans for a bit longer. Get an inside room, and roll with it. Because you will, some day, be missing that family member, and the one thought you'll never have is: "Gosh, I wish we hadn't taken that trip and spent time together."

Thank you all for your kind words. I know he is in a better place, and is free from suffering, so it makes it a little easier. Knowing how much time we spent together, and how many wonderful memories we had and how much love he shared with our family... that makes it a lot easier.

The next cruise we take will be our first without him. Wherever it goes, you can bet we'll talk about him and have a margarita in his honor! :)

Archived