For those that have cruised at Xmas

DKF97

I have always wanted to go on vacation during the kids' xmas break, but dh has never been able to get the time off work. Its that time of year again when he has to make his vacation picks for next year and FINALLY he will have all of xmas break off next year. Now we are trying to decide exactly what we will be doing. I am looking at the Sunshine out of NOLA. My question is, do these prices stay pretty steady or have you gotten any decent price drops? Can't decide if it is really worth double what we are paying for our cruise upcoming cruise.

At this point, I wouldn't expect huge price drops for Christmas cruises. Large family groups book well in advance. However, I have to admit we haven't experienced your particular cruise.... Good luck! Booking this far in advance is actually a good move and in our experience, results in lower fares. (Remember, you are sailing over a major holiday!) That said, you can get a drop in price from time to time. Good luck!

We have sailded at CHRISTMAS before and the price only climbed as it is a popular time for families to cruise I guess. We did it twice before realizing that Holdiay cruising just wasn't for us. I missed the gatherings with my family, but our kids are grown with families of their own so it is much different from having all the family go.

I think you would have to decide if the price you are paying now is ok with you as I don't think there will be any significant rate dropping. I feel that way about summer bookings. I have a hard time justifying the extra cost, but sometimes bite the bullit just to have Grandkids with us.

My first cruise was a Christmas Cruise (12/23/2002) and it was amazing, while it was a long time ago and surely the price was high because of it being a Christmas Cruise, it was really worth it, plus not needing to cook and clean and go nuts with Christmas shopping, yes well worth it and very special.

The earlier you book, the better. If you book ES, you can get any price drops that may occur up to 3 days before sailing. From experience, we have been very lucky and have gotten some very hefty obc's from price drops for our Christmas cruises. Our one exception is our upcoming Breeze cruise. Our cabin price has gone up $1,500 per balcony cabin. (booked 1 year in advance) Have never seen anything like that, and we also sailed the Liberty, Freedom and Dream when they were sailing their first Christmas cruises.

Our 3rd Christmas Cruise coming up, I've always book 12-18 months out and have watched the price go up-Up-UP. By booking early you get a better choice of cabins and you can make a monthly payment so you don't have that big final payment a couple of months before cruising. (which is really nice near the holiday season) And as your looking at the Sunshine and it will be her first Christmas sailing I'd expect it to go higher in $$$ as lots of folks like sailing on a ship during the first season.

Christmas cruises only go up - book sooner rather than later. It is a great way to spend the holiday.

While I agree it is a great way to spend the holiday, I do disagree on the prices only going up. As I said earlier, we have received obc's on every Christmas cruise we have been on with CCL- with the exception being our upcoming Breeze cruise. So 6 out of 7 Christmas cruises have gotten price drops. Again - we book at least 1 year in advance each time...

Here is my take on cruising at Christmas... Sailing the Destiny for a 5 nite out of Miami on Dec 24th.... Booked it 6 weeks ago, an Oceanview GTY, for the 3 of us $ 1226.... still no cabin assignment... yet just 30 minutes ago I booked a cabana at half moon cay ... 4 were left to purchase...

are times tough ? I dont know... but I am thankful for the low cruise rate, the chance to book the cabana.

and I am not afraid to cruise during PEEK KID time...

did that once March 13th 2010 with 1866 Children aboard.. christmas cant be as bad.....LOL ( cause it has one more pool..)

Archived