ORD-FRA-VCE Connection Time & Airline Help

Solara

We are flying in October ORD-FRA-VCE. The following are my 2 choices both in economy seating:

1. United Airlines Boeing 777-200 from Chicago to Frankfurt with a 2 hour 25 minute connection in Frankfurt before a Lufthansa flight to Venice.

2. Lufthansa Boeing 747-400 from Chicago to Frankfurt with a 5 hour 30 minute connection in Frankfurt before a Lufthansa flight to Venice.

I know option #2 has a longer layover but both flights on option #2 are Lufthansa fights. Would there be an advantage to that versus option #1 where the 1st flight is a United flight? Thinking about luggage getting on the 2nd plane & United doesn't seem to have as many gates in Frankfurt. Would you have to go thru security again with the United flight?

Also as far as comfort do you think United or Lufthansa would be better? I don't mind the longer layover if taking the 2 Lufthansa flights has some advantages. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!:)

We are flying in October ORD-FRA-VCE. The following are my 2 choices both in economy seating:

1. United Airlines Boeing 777-200 from Chicago to Frankfurt with a 2 hour 25 minute connection in Frankfurt before a Lufthansa flight to Venice.

2. Lufthansa Boeing 747-400 from Chicago to Frankfurt with a 5 hour 30 minute connection in Frankfurt before a Lufthansa flight to Venice.

I know option #2 has a longer layover but both flights on option #2 are Lufthansa fights. Would there be an advantage to that versus option #1 where the 1st flight is a United flight? Thinking about luggage getting on the 2nd plane & United doesn't seem to have as many gates in Frankfurt. Would you have to go thru security again with the United flight?

Also as far as comfort do you think United or Lufthansa would be better? I don't mind the layover if taking the 2 Lufthansa flights has some advantages. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

With both options your luggage should get checked through to Venice and either way you will have to clear Schengen immigration in Frankfurt and will have to go through security as you proceed to the Schengen domestic gates.

The main advantage of Lufthansa is that alcohol is included in the price whereas United will charge for it (you may get a glass of wine for free with your meal). I also find the service on Lufthansa slightly better and they now have thinner seats that give you a little extra leg room.

Whether or not that justifies an extra three hours in Frankfurt is a matter of personal preference. I think I would personally go with United.

Also as far as comfort do you think United or Lufthansa would be better? I don't mind the longer layover if taking the 2 Lufthansa flights has some advantages. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would personally stick with the same airline for the whole trip. Also I would get a day pass for the Lufthansa louge for the 5 + hr layover.

Hands down, UA if you are flying in economy, and pay for E+ seating. You will not get a free glass of wine with your meal on UA, not sure what other poster is talking about.

LH feels very, very cramped in coach. There is really no advantage with "sticking with the same airline" the entire trip. UA and LH play nicely with each other. I would choose the two+ hour connection; that should be plenty of time. I would not want to sit around at FRA for five hours.

Hands down, UA if you are flying in economy, and pay for E+ seating. You will not get a free glass of wine with your meal on UA, not sure what other poster is talking about.

LH feels very, very cramped in coach. There is really no advantage with "sticking with the same airline" the entire trip. UA and LH play nicely with each other. I would choose the two+ hour connection; that should be plenty of time. I would not want to sit around at FRA for five hours.

I agree totally with 6rugrats- on every point. There is no reason to stick with the same airline if it causes a doubling of your layover.

I was thinking of paying the extra for economy plus on United but checking on Seat Guru it shows economy plus being same size for that plane. Also was wondering if the connection time was long enough since I've read about so many problems at Franfurt & wondering if United pulls up to a gate or you are bused to the terminal which adds more time.

I was thinking of paying the extra for economy plus on United but checking on Seat Guru it shows economy plus being same size for that plane. Also was wondering if the connection time was long enough since I've read about so many problems at Franfurt & wondering if United pulls up to a gate or you are bused to the terminal which adds more time.

Economy Plus gives you more legroom. Not a wider seat.

Over 2 hours is fine for FRA, even if you are bussed to the arrival gate. You wouldn't be bussed to the departure gate. We had 2:20 minutes on our last connection, bussed to arrival gate, and still had about 60 minutes between flights to enjoy the lounge (we were in business class).

Economy Plus gives you more legroom. Not a wider seat.

Over 2 hours is fine for FRA, even if you are bussed to the arrival gate. You wouldn't be bussed to the departure gate. We had 2:20 minutes on our last connection, bussed to arrival gate, and still had about 60 minutes between flights to enjoy the lounge (we were in business class).

I know it's only extra legroom. Just not sure it's worth it at $118 a ticket for 3 or 4 inches.

Also still have some concern about the 2 hour 25 minute layover being long enough in Frankfurt.

I know it's only extra legroom. Just not sure it's worth it at $118 a ticket for 3 or 4 inches.

Also still have some concern about the 2 hour 25 minute layover being long enough in Frankfurt.

It's absolutely worth it. You also will be able to sit closer to the front of the plane. 2.25 hours is plenty for a connection in FRA.

I am on the same flights on Oct. 5th/6th.

Lucked out and was able to book FF miles BC/FC.

UA 944 lands in Terminal T-1 (Checked today - Gate A - 22)

LH 324 leaves from T - 1 (Checked today - Gate A - 32)

Granted the gates can change by next Oct.; doubt if the Terminal changes.

Not too concerned about the 2 Hour, 25 min. connection time.

We should have plenty of time.

See you on the Royal:D

Two people with experience have told you 2.5 hours is fine, and none have said it is inadequate. On my last trip there we were driving out of the rental car garage 75 minutes after arriving at the gate. Not sure what else we can do.

Two people with experience have told you 2.5 hours is fine, and none have said it is inadequate. On my last trip there we were driving out of the rental car garage 75 minutes after arriving at the gate. Not sure what else we can do.

Tell them to enjoy their 5+ hours at FRA :)?

I am on the same flights on Oct. 5th/6th.

Lucked out and was able to book FF miles BC/FC.

UA 944 lands in Terminal T-1 (Checked today - Gate A - 22)

LH 324 leaves from T - 1 (Checked today - Gate A - 32)

Granted the gates can change by next Oct.; doubt if the Terminal changes.

Not too concerned about the 2 Hour, 25 min. connection time.

We should have plenty of time.

See you on the Royal:D

Thanks for the Terminal & gate info. Would be great if that doesn't change. Our original plan was to leave on the 5th too but couldn't get the flights I wanted with miles so we are leaving on the 4th instead. I'm not complaining since we get an extra day in Venice. I did end up booking the United flight to FRA. So glad to have this out of the way. See you on the Royal!:D

Thanks for the Terminal & gate info. Would be great if that doesn't change. Our original plan was to leave on the 5th too but couldn't get the flights I wanted with miles so we are leaving on the 4th instead. I'm not complaining since we get an extra day in Venice. I did end up booking the United flight to FRA. So glad to have this out of the way. See you on the Royal!:D

Feel the same -- Flights and Hotel booked.

Was looking at the 4th also; but with FF miles had to go with the 5th.

Thanks everyone for your help & advise. I did end up booking the United flight today with the 2 hour 25 minute layover. Also did the upgrade to economy plus.:D

Econmy Plus is a good choice.

Used it on an Asia Cruise.

Archived