WooHoo! Oasis Review Nov 3-10 Eastern Caribbean

r6girl

Thanks for your review -- each one helps! Wondering about the dining package you all signed up for. It looks like you can't make reservations in advance (ie, before getting on ship) for 2/3 of the restaurants. If that's true, did you take care of making those reservations right when you boarded, and was it hard to get the times/days you wanted?

We got the Central Park Dining Package, and it lets you reserve Giovanni's Table on the first night. Chops and 150 Central Park we had to reserve once onboard. We got the day and time we wanted for Central Park, but we had a little problem with Chops. The first day onboard, I tried to book it, but kept getting the answering machine for Chops. So, I left my name, stateroom number, how many were in my party, and the day/time I wanted reservations for. I called back a couple of days later to confirm that they received my message, and they said they had not. So, I had limited times available on the day I wanted reservations for. I settled for a time that was about 1hr earlier than I wanted, but it didn't interfere with any show times or plans we had, so it turned out fine. I would recommend you make the reservations you want first thing once onboard. Good luck!

I just remembered that I saved all my cruise compasses, so when I get the chance I'll scan them all and post them here. I know those will come in handy for all you planners out there who like to schedule things out on an excel spreadsheet, like I do!

We were on the same cruise! Just now remembered to come on here and see how other people enjoyed it. We totally saw (and heard) your pirate ship in St. Thomas when you guys were coming back. Man, it sounded like an awesome fun crowd! ;)

Did you find that you would have liked to have taken your children? We are going on the Oasis Eastern in June. DS (who will be 18 months) is booked on it with us but my mom volunteered to watch him. We are thinking that he will probably stay with her but I am so nervous that I'm going to miss him the whole time. I know there are so many things on board that we could do with him but so many things that we could not. I don't know about taking him to the nursery either because he doesn't go to daycare at home :-/ Not sure what to do!

My husband and I brought our 19 month old with us. We already had a trip without him this year (which was relaxing but I missed my son terribly the whole time), so I forced the issue that he should come with us (DH kept wanting to leave him home) this time. It was work, don't get me wrong. DH had a bit of time to go tanning on his own and I didn't have any, but it was totally worth it. There was a lot of crying in room because DS can't seem to sleep with people around (us included), but still worth it. Luckily I asked the couple next to us if they can hear him and they said no other than when he's playing on the balcony. We put him in the nursery twice, and he cried both times. Every time we've been there, other toddlers were crying also, but I suspect that might be because we didn't use the nursery during the busier dinner times, and it might not be as scary for them if there are more children around.

But yeh, we didn't do much in terms of watching shows. We watched Brave on the outdoor screen, which is luckily where there are a bunch of toy vehicles with steering wheels, so once he got bored sitting still, I could still kinda watch the movie while chasing after him. We didn't watch the aqua show, but we watched them practicing one evening, which had my son mesmerized.

If having alone time and watching the shows and such are what you're after, go without the kid. If you're there for the experience of watching your son's face light up from watching a forklift for 30 minutes and clapping for the pirate ship with all the hooting and laughing, then bring him. :)

Day 1: Sea: After boarding the ship and gawking at the magnificence of this awesome ship, we ate at the Windjammer… crowds weren’t too terrible, and it was about 1pm-ish when we boarded. The Windjammer wasn’t as bad as I was expecting it to be, considering the things I had read from other reviews. After the Honey Stung Chicken Burgers at the Windjammer, we split into gals vs. guys. I have no idea what the guys did, and when I asked my hubby at the end of the cruise, he claims he can’t remember what he did the first day (go figure!). We ladies went to Guest Services to book the All-Access Tour and place a space-available announcement in the Cruise Compass for our Anniversary. My sister-in-law and I then proceeded to the 14th deck Card Room (Seven of Hearts/Internet Café) to reserve our iphone rental. At $30 per iphone, it was well worth the money, and not near as obnoxious as those much-debated walkie-talkies I saw people screeching into! The neat thing about the iphone is it has the day’s Cruise Compass loaded into it, as well as many other numbers (the other iphones it’s connected to, maintenance, room attendant, medical, specialty restaurants, etc). Oh, and there is a cool function for parents: you can view location of the other iphones (ie: your kids) as well as the history of where the phone has recently been – so if you want to stalk your kids, you can! My kids were safely home with their grandparents, but I remember thinking how handy that will be when my boys get older. ;) But, I digress. Ok, we check out the ship and do the sail-away wave on our Junior Suite balconies (with the divider and adjoining room door open, thanks to our suite attendant!

pic3.jpg

So with the Iphone rental.. did you have to go the guest services first or just straight to the card room?

Loving your review by the way.

Pabrett46

• 4 weeks later...
So with the Iphone rental.. did you have to go the guest services first or just straight to the card room?

Loving your review by the way.

Pabrett46

Sorry if this came too late, but you can go straight to the card room and avoid the long lines at Guest Services.

Thanks for the great review.

Can you provide more info about the All Access Tour? Where and when do you sign up? Cost? What day? How long is it?

Suzanne

All Access Tour costs $150 per person, it's a 3 hr tour (yes, Gilligan's Island theme song running through my head right now). You can sign up anytime at the Guest Services Desk. It occurs 2 days (on a 7 night cruise, fewer times on shorter cruises on other ships). On our cruise, it was held on Day 6 and Day 7 in the morning timeframe (around 8:30-9am). If I remember correctly, I believe each tour session has only 10-15 guest slots available so it's come first serve, so the sooner you book the better your chance of getting a spot on the tour. Hope that helps!

Glad you guys like the review, just sorry that it's taken me so long to post the Cruise Compasses. Photo bucket is being really fickle on posting these scans, but I'll get them all knocked out. I just wish I had a better way of posting this stuff. If anyone has an idea to recommend, I'll try it! Otherwise... here's some more posts to scroll through with tons of Cruise Compass Pages.

All Access Tour costs $150 per person, it's a 3 hr tour (yes, Gilligan's Island theme song running through my head right now). You can sign up anytime at the Guest Services Desk. It occurs 2 days (on a 7 night cruise, fewer times on shorter cruises on other ships). On our cruise, it was held on Day 6 and Day 7 in the morning timeframe (around 8:30-9am). If I remember correctly, I believe each tour session has only 10-15 guest slots available so it's come first serve, so the sooner you book the better your chance of getting a spot on the tour. Hope that helps!

Thanks so much - this does help. Now I have to convince my hubby to splurge on the tour!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived