New York Times Essay on the Riviera

harryw

I immensely enjoyed the article when it was published. However, the author should have mentioned that they were in a Penthouse and not all cabins have butlers, orchids and fruit waiting for them in their cabins.

I enjoyed the article too. However, it sounds like the cruise may have been paid for by the New York Times-and the crew knew it. The reason I say that is because I don't think many people get to sip champagne with the Captain on the bridge of the ship watching the ship's computer equipment.

I enjoyed the article too. However, it sounds like the cruise may have been paid for by the New York Times-and the crew knew it. The reason I say that is because I don't think many people get to sip champagne with the Captain on the bridge of the ship watching the ship's computer equipment.

The sum value of this flowery article to the average cruiser is zero.

Not exactly sure what the point of her article was - that she was impressed with the Oceania atmosphere and the sea-life experience on the Riviera, or that she was impressed with herself and her husband for not hating cruising as much as she'd feared....

Amy Ephron is a celebrity writer, sister of Nora Ephron, and most likely considered a VIP guest. You're correct that not many people get that kind of treatment, but not many people are VIP's.

There's no doubt that the article is a "puff piece", but I found no inaccuracies or exaggerations, and have no doubt her experience was most satisfactory.

I consider myself an average cruiser, and if I had not had previous experience with Oceania, would have valued the report immensely. As it is, it brought pleasant memories and whetted my appetite for my upcoming Riviera cruise (my third on Riviera -- I love that ship).

The sum value of this flowery article to the average cruiser is zero.

I agree. I was debating writing to the Times. I love Oceania and will be sailing on my sixth cruise this Spring but the article is skewed. It would be unfortunate if the "average" first time cruiser to O expected this level of service and amenities.

I found the article entertaining and enjoyed some of her asides. Being in the "Style" magazine, I didn't expect a "critic" piece.

Ms. Ephron's anecdote that concluded with the lesson of not talking politics to strangers rang true to me. I try not to talk politics on cruises in mixed company. Cruising to me is a vacation from politics - and the times I did mention the subject sometimes led to alienation or tension.

Otherwise, I'm sure she received VIP treatment, at a level above my pay grade. While butlers and private tours with the Captain are not in my future, I didn't mind the momentary fantasy the article provided.

It also reminded me that there is some limited sense of democracy (or pluralism?) on a cruise. When mingling with fellow passengers, no one knows your tax bracket or if you are in an inside cabin or penthouse (unless the topic comes up.)

Harry

Amy Ephron is a celebrity writer, sister of Nora Ephron, and most likely considered a VIP guest. You're correct that not many people get that kind of treatment, but not many people are VIP's.

There's no doubt that the article is a "puff piece", but I found no inaccuracies or exaggerations, and have no doubt her experience was most satisfactory.

I consider myself an average cruiser, and if I had not had previous experience with Oceania, would have valued the report immensely. As it is, it brought pleasant memories and whetted my appetite for my upcoming Riviera cruise (my third on Riviera -- I love that ship).

Don, I love that someone like you, who has obviously cruised quite a bit, can still see articles like Ms. Ephron's for what it is: something that can "whet the appetite for a cruise" on Riviera.

Since I've been on Marina, it was easy to recall everything Ms. Ephron spoke of (save the private tour of the bridge, but, hey...I'm not a writer with a famous name).

I'll be on Riviera next fall, and I enjoyed reading this piece. It's a shame that those who found it of no consequence didn't just skip over it. Different strokes...indeed.

Ephron's comments about Chef Kelly and the cooking class are spot on. We had pretty much the exact same wonderful experience with her when we are on the Riviera last year, down to doing shopping with her in Brittany. And we're not "VIPs" (though we are Gold on Regent).

Don't forget or overlook the fact that Hondorner was a guest of Oceania for the christening and keel laying of Marina and Riveria. He isn't just your "average" cruiser, folks. Could that have an influence on his reports? ;)

However, that being said so that "misrepresentation" isn't a fact here, the ship is great. Just need to convince the O staff to be more respective of their passengers and honor their requests about air or land tours.

Don't forget or overlook the fact that Hondorner was a guest of Oceania for the christening and keel laying of Marina and Riveria. He isn't just your "average" cruiser, folks. Could that have an influence on his reports? ;)

However, that being said so that "misrepresentation" isn't a fact here...

I have misrepresented nothing. I stand by my comment that I consider myself an average cruiser. It is true that we were fortunate to be invited to the float out of Marina and the steel cutting of Riviera (the same day at the same place), and the christening cruises for both, but it had nothing to do with any status with Oceania. In fact, the invitations came after just 3 cruises with Oceania, and I still have only 6 official cruises.

We puzzled for weeks over why we were chosen. Finally, I had the opportunity to ask, and it amounted to the way I make comments here on Cruise Critic. One person stated I was the "voice of reason"; FDR himself said I was "always fair to him and the cruise line." Note, it had nothing to do with cheer leading, and everything to do with the fact that my posts are generally reasonable and fair, even when they are negative. I've had more than one person say they "cringed" when I made some comment or other, but I make every effort to be accurate and fair. Not surprisingly, considering how fair he himself has always been, the "boss" values that quality.

Jim and Stan were the other couple invited as "token passengers" to the same events, and I doubt very many on this forum would be surprised at that, considering the amount of time Jim devotes to being as helpful as he can. Even on the extremely rare occasion when he has been mistaken, the impetus has sprung from his willingness to share his knowledge. Yet, even he has on occasion been castigated and accused of having some ulterior motive.

I personally found Ms. Ephron's article to be accurate and reasonable, and despite the fact that some on this forum think newcomers are too dumb to understand her perspective, I believe her comments help set the tone for what many of us appreciate about Oceania.

The one thing I abhor more than anything else are mindless, negative comments about things the writer knows little...such as insinuating my comments as "misrepresentation."

However, that being said so that "misrepresentation" isn't a fact here, the ship is great. Just need to convince the O staff to be more respective of their passengers and honor their requests about air or land tours.

Just curious, but what did you mean by "respective of their passengers"? I'm not familiar with this phrase.

I don't care about sipping champagne with the Captain, but I would like to take a look at the bridge on the ship and see the ship's computers. Who would I contact to be able to do that? Would I even be eligible, since I am not a celebrity?

I don't care about sipping champagne with the Captain, but I would like to take a look at the bridge on the ship and see the ship's computers. Who would I contact to be able to do that? Would I even be eligible, since I am not a celebrity?

Bridge Tours, like visiting the cockpit on an airplane, have become much rarer because of how crazy the World has become. Remember the Achille Lauro?

The Insurance Companies are sure to insist that access be very limited.

That said, if you are interested, you should ALWAYS ask (write your request personally and don't hesitate to gush). Your Travel Agent will know how to submit it for you.

Who knows? One fine day, your inquiry may cross the right desk at the right time.

The more you cruise the better your chances :D

I personally found Ms. Ephron's article to be accurate and reasonable, and despite the fact that some on this forum think newcomers are too dumb to understand her perspective, I believe her comments help set the tone for what many of us appreciate about Oceania.

The one thing I abhor more than anything else are mindless, negative comments about things the writer knows little...such as insinuating my comments as "misrepresentation."

The problem is that her perspective is not the typical cruisers perspective. The typical cruiser is not staying in a high level cabin, and getting to drink champagne on the bridge while observing the ships computers. I think Oceania is better than that. They do not need to give perks to persons to sing their praises. I have cruised on Rivera and the food is great, and it has many other great qualities. It demeans Oceania and their loyal cruisers, to see Oceania giving freebies to paid hacks like the New York Times writer to cruise with them.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Don and Betsy, and I can assure readers of CC he is no "cheerleader" for O. He is exactly the same in person as you read on this forum, and his Betsy is wonderful. His posts on CC are limited to those where he has something to add to the conversation, and he refrains from judgements about others opinions and motives, although he has called out some who have made unsupported or mean-spirited complaints. The fact he has made friends with Frank Del Rio says a lot about the spark of friendship ignited between two like-minded people made possible by contact through CC.

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Jim and Stan, but I hope to have that pleasure one day. They seem to be funloving and open people who make the most of their free time, and their generosity to the CC knowledge bank is universally appreciated.

Thank you all for the time you spend participating in CC. As a relatively recent member (under three years) you've opened so many options to me I never even knew existed. I wish all the posters on CC were like you guys!

Kay Sutt

I found the article entertaining and enjoyed some of her asides. Being in the "Style" magazine, I didn't expect a "critic" piece...

Harry

Exactly, it's public relations at its best. It could be a fun read for folks anticipating a first cruise, though they should also seek out a variety of opinions & voices to get a full picture of what to expect.

Agree with your assessment, I view the "Style" magazine as subjective & aspirational, not objective & critical. This is a feature essay from a celebrity writer, not a breaking news piece or business story. And my guess is that most would read it according to that filter. :)

T I think Oceania is better than that. They do not need to give perks to persons to sing their praises.

This begs the question - Is Oceania above inviting travel agents onboard for discounted or free cruises, and providing preferential treatment to them, for obvious business reasons?

Harry

Archived