Alaska begin May 1st of August?

MightyB

Hello, I got some equestions about cruising Alaska. Got some answers on this forum already, but not for all my questions, so I post this thread :-)

We would like to cruise to Alaska for 1 week after visiting Vancouver Island for 1 week. We would like to cruise with HAL. It would be our first cruise to Alaska.

In May we only can go the first cruise there is, on May the first, due to schoolholidays for the oldest. The other option would be August.

We will travel with 2 children (6 and 3 years old and very experienced travellers, they love it).

In May it's colder and there is less wildlife (but I understood there are black bear excursions starting from end of april on Vancouver Island, so that's no problem). Question for Alaksa: are the excursions worth the money in the beginning of May? We are interested in whalewatching, the white pass yukon railroad and some shore excursion where we can see some wildlife on land.

The roundtrip also includes Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm glacier. Is it possible for the cruiseship to go close to the glaciers, or is that only possible in summer season (July/August)?

We prefer a big room for the 4 of us, so a deluxe verandah suite. It's in our budget if we cruise in May, if we cruise in August we think it's to expensive and not worth the money. Question: is a verandah room (not deluxe) big enough for a family with 2 kids? I think the rooms are a bit more spacious than the verandah rooms on Prinsess ships (?)

Hope to get some anwers, thx!

We sailed Alaska this past April and we have sailed there many times and it was our best trip.

When it comes to weather you just don't know what to expect. We were there in August the year before and while cooler in April we had much nicer weather. Now next time around could be different as weather can vary year over year, month over month and even day to day and hour to hour.

Actually, in Glacier Bay very early in the season the ships can get closer to the Glaciers then after the first few weeks of the season.

If this was me, I would go in early May. There will be lots to see and it will be less crowded in ports than in August. I prefer less people.

Once you make the booking then start to research your options for excursions.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the usefull information!

Btw GREAT photo's!!! What lense did you use, a 300mm of more?

MightyB, for those I used a 18-200mm lens.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Ok thanks. So the ships really sails close to the shore.

Do you use a lense with a wider range for wildlife, or worked a 200mm fine?

Martin

Martin, that day I used the 18-200mm lens but I took several other lenses with me for the cruise.

Another benefit going early was even from Glacier Bay we could see some wildlife on land. In Summer brush would be too high so you would miss some of the wildlife.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hpbvmHFOiuo/T4id_JDDncI/AAAAAAAAQsE/B5WnpfCdQcs/s1600/DSC_4223.jpg

Keith

Martin, that day I used the 18-200mm lens but I took several other lenses with me for the cruise.

Another benefit going early was even from Glacier Bay we could see some wildlife on land. In Summer brush would be too high so you would miss some of the wildlife.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hpbvmHFOiuo/T4id_JDDncI/AAAAAAAAQsE/B5WnpfCdQcs/s1600/DSC_4223.jpg

Keith

Hi Keith,

Another beautiful picture.

It's really clear for me, I see the benefits of going in May, thx a lot!

Martin

While you can never be sure of weather in Alaska, I personally would avoid early May as there is a tendency for it to be wetter and cooler. Frankly I very much prefer early to mid August as a time to go, the weather tends to be warmer, the salmon are starting up rivers and creeks to spawn and the whole wildlife cycle has begun. The time of year normally does not impact how close the ships can get to the various glaciers.

I too would give an edge to August over the first of May. Historically, you do not get weather as posted above based on a single trip. That may have been atypical. I have cruised in May numerous times, and you certainly do need to expect a few days of rain, like any other time you sail Alaska. No way to predict weather and being prepared for a wide range will "solve" most of the inconvenience.

There are some differences for early May, White Pass- a lot of snow, Lake Bennett train not running, humpbacks not all migrated, but with a round trip Seattle, can pick up the migration IF you are willing to spend a significant amount of time out on deck your two sea days. Tracy Arm probably won't be fully accessable for glacier viewing. Also verify Exactly what the Tracy Arm- means? This year it was only accessed IF you purchased the costly add on tour boat (which I have always done anyway- since it is significantly superior).

There are not going to be any "wildlife" tours with the exception of whale watches, which won't have the numbers of later season.

Glacier Bay is always accessable. Forget about trying to get the "closeness" information. :) It is highly subjective anyway- you will see at least 4 glaciers in Glaicer Bay.

Regarding the size of cabins, I think that the Holland America website includes the balcony sq footage as part of the cabin size for the verandah/balcony cabins. I don't think there is a lot of difference in the actual inside space of the oceanview vs the verandah room for the standard cabins. That said, there are a few cabins that are bigger, and a few that are smaller.

Last HAL cruise I was in a veranda cabin, and I honestly don't think it was any bigger than the oceanviews I normally book.

The balcony might be nice for you if the weather is good -- you could sit out there and sightsee after the kids go to sleep.

Are you leaving from Vancouver or Seattle?

I too would give an edge to August over the first of May. Historically, you do not get weather as posted above based on a single trip. That may have been atypical. I have cruised in May numerous times, and you certainly do need to expect a few days of rain, like any other time you sail Alaska. No way to predict weather and being prepared for a wide range will "solve" most of the inconvenience.

There are some differences for early May, White Pass- a lot of snow, Lake Bennett train not running, humpbacks not all migrated, but with a round trip Seattle, can pick up the migration IF you are willing to spend a significant amount of time out on deck your two sea days. Tracy Arm probably won't be fully accessable for glacier viewing. Also verify Exactly what the Tracy Arm- means? This year it was only accessed IF you purchased the costly add on tour boat (which I have always done anyway- since it is significantly superior).

There are not going to be any "wildlife" tours with the exception of whale watches, which won't have the numbers of later season.

Glacier Bay is always accessable. Forget about trying to get the "closeness" information. :) It is highly subjective anyway- you will see at least 4 glaciers in Glaicer Bay.

Hi Budget Queen, thx for all the information!

We still tend a little more to May (and will mostdef come back in August again when the kids are older. For some (active) excursions & seeing more wildlife our youngest is too small).

The roundtrip starts at Vancouver, so it will be the inside passage instead of the open seas (if I'm informed correctly :-)) So not a route the whales will follow?

I'll be prepared for a lot of snow on White Pass, we are interested in taking the train up.

Regarding the size of cabins, I think that the Holland America website includes the balcony sq footage as part of the cabin size for the verandah/balcony cabins. I don't think there is a lot of difference in the actual inside space of the oceanview vs the verandah room for the standard cabins. That said, there are a few cabins that are bigger, and a few that are smaller.

Last HAL cruise I was in a veranda cabin, and I honestly don't think it was any bigger than the oceanviews I normally book.

The balcony might be nice for you if the weather is good -- you could sit out there and sightsee after the kids go to sleep.

Are you leaving from Vancouver or Seattle?

Hi CowPrincess, thx for the info.

Then I think we'll go for the deluxe verandah, because the 4 of us will have more space. Then May is surely a better option, because the price of a deluxe in August is rather pricy.

Tracy Arm probably won't be fully accessable for glacier viewing. Also verify Exactly what the Tracy Arm- means? This year it was only accessed IF you purchased the costly add on tour boat (which I have always done anyway- since it is significantly superior).

I am on the Zuiderdam sailing RT Vancouver 5/11/13. I think Allen Marine is the tour boat company that Budget Queen is talking about. They do NOT do this excursion that early in May. Too much ice. They don't even do this as a private excursion out of Juneau that early. So if you have your heart set on Tracy Arm, go later in the season.

I am on the Zuiderdam sailing RT Vancouver 5/11/13. I think Allen Marine is the tour boat company that Budget Queen is talking about. They do NOT do this excursion that early in May. Too much ice. They don't even do this as a private excursion out of Juneau that early. So if you have your heart set on Tracy Arm, go later in the season.

Ok dobiemom, thx for the info!

We sailed twice on HAL's 14 day itinerary with our family of 4 in one interior cabin, and our kids (teenagers) are quite a bit older and larger than yours. We thought the interior cabin was spacious and well designed. We prefer not to spend a lot of money on the cabin, but we appreciate other who do this, since it lowers the price that we have to pay. I would have no concerns about your family of 4, with 2 small kids, sharing any of HAL's verandah cabins, which are larger than the interior ones we stayed in for 14 nights.

We sailed twice on HAL's 14 day itinerary with our family of 4 in one interior cabin, and our kids (teenagers) are quite a bit older and larger than yours. We thought the interior cabin was spacious and well designed. We prefer not to spend a lot of money on the cabin, but we appreciate other who do this, since it lowers the price that we have to pay. I would have no concerns about your family of 4, with 2 small kids, sharing any of HAL's verandah cabins, which are larger than the interior ones we stayed in for 14 nights.

Hi Epixx, thx for the info!

A CC member over on the HAL board has put together a website with detailed info on all HAL ships, including sq ft and photos of specific cabins. It's very helpful!

http://abqreunion2008.com/

We had an aft corner deluxe verandah suite with a wrap-around balcony on the Westerdam. All HAL Vista class have these. It was spectacular but cost a bundle. I would definitely book it again if I could come up with the money.

In the past they ran this tour of Endicott Arm, with Allen Marine. I have personally gone in your timeframe a few years ago.

With this change and no tour option- this has been verified with Allen Marine- they have no contract? this is a big negative to consider HAL, IF they do what they did this year and didn't take the cruiseship in either. A good reason, to look at other options, since other crusielines, in the past have run these tours by the second week of May, and maybe earlier.

The roundtrip starts at Vancouver, so it will be the inside passage instead of the open seas (if I'm informed correctly :-)) So not a route the whales will follow?

QUOTE]

Yes, IF you invest the time, you should have a look at the humpback migration between the Queen Charlottes and Dixon Passage, with Dixon Passage a major "stopping over" section.

IF you want the most scenic viewing, you will need to be up- which I am a half hour prior to dawn, for a look at inside Vancouver Island on the northbound section. There have been cruises I have been on, where they are already past the end by 9am.

With your week on Vancouver Island, not sure, but if you want a chance at a look at some orcas, you are best to plan on a couple boat tours. they Do not have the sighting stats that the Juneau/Hoonah humpbacks do at 100%. One trip I was on had 4 days of no sightings.

Vancouver Island is breathtaking and I try to get there every summer, but I would never choose to spend a week there in May ..... too high a risk for cold, wet, windy. We usually have a great week in May but the rest of the month is very iffy. August has the highest success for great weather in the pacific northwest.

Another negative about early May ... as you travel north, everything will still be brown. Too early for the spring greenup.

BTW, there are grizzly viewing trips from the north end of V Island but they may be later in the summer. And all summer there are good orca viewing trips from Telegraph Cove.

A CC member over on the HAL board has put together a website with detailed info on all HAL ships, including sq ft and photos of specific cabins. It's very helpful!

http://abqreunion2008.com/

We had an aft corner deluxe verandah suite with a wrap-around balcony on the Westerdam. All HAL Vista class have these. It was spectacular but cost a bundle. I would definitely book it again if I could come up with the money.

Hi Noobcruise, thanks for the link to the website.

Too bad the Volendam isn't a Vista class, I think a wrap around balcony sounds great! Do you have pictures of it?

I don't know if this is of any concern to you, but most U.S. schools are still in session May 1, so there may be much fewer children on board. This could be a good or bad thing, depending on your point of view. ;)

Thanks for the advice! For us and our kids it isn't a problem. Our daughters like both holidays where they meet a lot of kids and holidays where they are more on their own :-)

QUOTE]

Yes, IF you invest the time, you should have a look at the humpback migration between the Queen Charlottes and Dixon Passage, with Dixon Passage a major "stopping over" section.

IF you want the most scenic viewing, you will need to be up- which I am a half hour prior to dawn, for a look at inside Vancouver Island on the northbound section. There have been cruises I have been on, where they are already past the end by 9am.

With your week on Vancouver Island, not sure, but if you want a chance at a look at some orcas, you are best to plan on a couple boat tours. they Do not have the sighting stats that the Juneau/Hoonah humpbacks do at 100%. One trip I was on had 4 days of no sightings.

Hi Budget Queen, thx for the info, it is very usefull! We plan to make one or two boattours from Vancouver Island. Then another in Juneau, so with a total of three I'll hope to see a couple of killer of humpback whales :-)

Archived