Another Carnival Ship for Australia?

They're pulling the Legend out of Europe in late 2013 aren't they?

At any rate, I have no doubt in my mind that they'll send another ship down here. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the ships they're positioning in Asia (a couple of Costa ships and Sun Princess) prove popular, I reckon P&O Australia will go the way of Ocean Village and they'll move the whole fleet there or sell them off. That would make way for them to base one Carnival ship in Sydney and the other in Brisbane.

Does the Spirit even visit Brisbane? If the ship was to be based in Brisbane it would have to use Portside at Hamilton as its base

could the Spirit go under the Gateway bridge, if not it would have to use the Grain Terminal

I don't think the Gateway Bridge is the issue, I think it has to do with the turning basin at Hamilton.

I've noticed that if the ships (Pacific Dawn and Sun Princess) come in on the high tide they turn prior to berthing and then sail out on the lower tide.

I don't think the Gateway Bridge is the issue, I think it has to do with the turning basin at Hamilton.

I've noticed that if the ships (Pacific Dawn and Sun Princess) come in on the high tide they turn prior to berthing and then sail out on the lower tide.

Slightly off topic, but along the same lines...I think its the same for Cairns...The channel can be dredged easily enough to allow the larger cruise ships to use Trinity Wharf , but turning is the problem.

Slightly off topic, but along the same lines...I think its the same for Cairns...The channel can be dredged easily enough to allow the larger cruise ships to use Trinity Wharf , but turning is the problem.

The Cairns Shipping Development Project currently in assessment stage includes:

widening and deepening of the existing outer shipping channel and cruise shipping swing basin

widening and deepening of the existing inner harbor channel and establishment of a new shipping swing basin (to allow for future expansion of the HMAS Cairns navy base)

structural upgrade of the existing cruise shipping wharves (1 to 5) to accommodate mega-class cruise ships

Projected completion sometime in 2015.

Cairns is trying for a bigger slice of the cruise market. Wonder what they class as mega-class ?

Does anyone know what Sun Princess is being replaced with?

I know the Sea Princess is scheduled to cruise out of Brisbane in Summer 2013.

I'm planning on the 2 nighter in October Syd-Bne and then the pacific cruise for NYE on her.

The Sun Princess is scheduled to cruise out of Sydney for the summer of 2013

What about bringing one to Melbourne? I'd love to do last minute cheap cruises. :)

Never gong to work..although I think our pier is more suited for cruise ships than Sydney's 'alternate ' piers and it is long enough for any current ship to tie up at ( and on occasion 2 can tie up stern to bow as they have done recently when 2 P&O ships where berthed at Station pier plus the Spirit of Tasmania ferry and a navy frigate).

But let's face facts, Melbourne makes a good stop over point and its spectacular coming up the bay of a morning with the CBD glowing in the distance BUT we are pretty far from the South Pacific destinations that many cruisers want....apart from NZ of course where we are similar to Sydney. The only other time it would make sense is a round Australia cruise.

It is possible that Carnival will locate another ship in Australia as it gradually assumes the role of Carnival Corp's primary cruiseline in Australia. At the same time, one of the P&O ships would leave. The most obvious ship to go would be Pacific Pearl and Carnival would either rebrand it for Asia or sell it completely.

For operational reasons, such as spares, maintenance and consistency of product, the most obvious newcomer to Australia would be another Spirit Class vessel such as Liberty or Pride. As finetuneit points out, Legend is scheduled to be leaving Europe in a year so maybe it is a candidate. It would also be interesting is it kept its name. Liberty is a very American name that may not resonate so well with the holidaymakers downunder.

Carnival Concordia? No way, Pacific Concordia way to go..I like it Flipper. They would have to 'Australianise it first though.' VB, Tooheys, Fourex, Vegimite, no auto tipping, no any time dining, drunken bogans permitted on board as they contribute to the Carnival Corporation economy, very well indeed. LOL.

Also get rid of the Garlic and Peroni beer smell from the hull, it would pong a bit now.

Pacific Concordia, a 'new ship for Australia' LOL.

Viva Italia, Viva Australia !

It is possible that Carnival will locate another ship in Australia as it gradually assumes the role of Carnival Corp's primary cruiseline in Australia. At the same time, one of the P&O ships would leave. The most obvious ship to go would be Pacific Pearl and Carnival would either rebrand it for Asia or sell it completely.

For operational reasons, such as spares, maintenance and consistency of product, the most obvious newcomer to Australia would be another Spirit Class vessel such as Liberty or Pride. As finetuneit points out, Legend is scheduled to be leaving Europe in a year so maybe it is a candidate. It would also be interesting is it kept its name. Liberty is a very American name that may not resonate so well with the holidaymakers downunder.

Liberty is Conquest class.

The other Spirit class vessels are: Pride, Miracle, Legend

Archived