Taxi or Walking Access - KAUAI and HILO

Cruise2End

Can anyone advise if you are in a position to take a taxi or if there is an available shuttle from Kauai (Nawiliwili) or Hilo ? Are these ports in a place where you can walk around and see something. I realize that often princess ports are out in an industrial area far from anywhere so just checking. Thanks in advance!!

Just curious ... is there a reason why you don't want to venture away from the area near the port? Kauai has so many beautiful sights to see, but you'll miss them by staying near the port. Same with the BI ....from Hilo, VNP is a highlight. There are numerous other places to visit ... inexpensively done by rental car if you are trying to keep costs down.

In the Ports section (see the panel at the top of this page) you'll find some basic info for each port.

Hi Keith, We will be on the POA cruise next summer and I am also wondering about the ports - so Kauai has a beach within walking distance? Isn't there also a shopping center near the port, and do you remember how far it was? I read that Maui and Hilo are industrial ports, so definitely need to book excursions there.

Since we will be in Kauai overnight, I assume that we would not spend both mornings wandering around the port area. I am trying to figure out a good excursion for one of the days. I am between Waimea Canyon and the NCL luau. Thoughts anyone?

In Hilo, Free Shuttles are: Hilo Hatties, Walmart and Downtown Farmers Market. The Hilo Hatties or Walmart shuttle are located in the newer shopping area of Hilo. You'll find the Prince Kuhio Plaza, Target, Safeway, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Macy's around that area. The Farmers Market shuttle will take you to Historic Downtown Hilo. The Farmers Market is open every day but their "big" days are Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturdays. There are also a variety of small, locally owned shops here. There is also the Tsunami Museum (Open on week days only). If its a weekday, you'll be able to pick up a map at the Downtown Hilo Assn. that has a Walking Tour of Hilo.

Mondays thru Saturday you'll be able to catch the county "Hele-On" bus across the street from the pier. This will cost $1 and it will cruise down to the end of the road passing many beaches (Richardson Black Sand Beach is a beauty) and you can let the driver know if you want to get off at one of the beaches. But be sure you catch the bus back (last one is around 4) or you'll have to walk a couple miles back to the pier.

Either way, I know you'll enjoy the Aloha Spirit Hilo has to offer.

• 11 months later...

Archived