Kenai Peninsula excursion ideas

karen of PA

We are two couples in our 60's who are booked on a Princess cruisetour. We will be spending 1 1/2 days at the Kenai Princess Lodge and I am stumped as to our options for excursions. We are not hikers but we like to learn about culture/history and also enjoy nature and scenery.

Our cruise is first and then the land tour is next. I was thinking of possibly visiting Seward the first day because we arrive around noon and then relaxing that evening at the hotel. Then we have a full day the following day. Has anyone taken the boat tour to the Kenai National Park and Exit Glacier? We will be there in the end of May so I know that it will probably be very cold. If we don't take that excursion, is there anything else that we could do?

Thanks so much,

Karen

I second PennyAgain's comment. The Kenai Princess is beautiful and an absolutely beautiful setting, but so VERY isolated. You'd have to walk a few miles miles just to reach the hwy, and the town of Cooper Landing is a few miles further. There is a short trail that leads from the lodge to the Kenai River, and a small landing on the bank where you can stand and watch the boats float by. Or you can sit in the comfortable Lounge and enjoy the wonderful view:). As you walk thru the woods be bear aware. Talk loudly as you walk to announce your presence.

You are a captive audience at the lodge; your only sightseeing options are whatever Princess offers, unless you call PJ's Taxi in Seward about 1 hr away. I see Princess offers a shuttle to Seward $49, and will leave you in town for 6 hrs. If you don't take the Kenai Cruise, you could wander around the harbor, watch the fishermen and boats, enjoy the views, walk the waterfront trail from the harbor to downtown (1 mile)and watch for otters and bald eagles. When you get downtown visit the SeaLife Center. There is free shuttle between the harbor and downtown, altho you might be too early in the season. But Seward is small so a taxi from town to harbor would cost under $10.

And yes it will be cold on the boat tour, you're on frigid waters, but you can sit inside while the boat is moving then come on deck for viewing sealife or the glaciers. It's a great tour! (if the weather is clear and calm).

Exit Glacier Visitor Center doesn't open until Memorial Day. If the Exit Glacier Guide shuttle is running, it's only $10RT; you can walk the trail the glacier even if the Center is closed.

Your ship unloads you in Seward, what is your noon reference?? Arrive where?

IF you may be thinking about going back and forth between Cooper Landing and Seward, frankly you don't want to make this 2 hour round trip more than once.

Why did you pick this cruisetour? Was there something you wanted to do at this location?Fishing is the most popular activity, but depending on your dates, you may be too early?

Yes, I have done a Kenai Fjords boat tour, which is "always" an activity I repeatively enjoy. It makes the most sense to pick this up your disembarkment day since you are in Seward. It is not "freezing"cold end of May, I have gone in this timeframe many times.

Exit Glacier is a worthwhile stop, Alaska Sealife Center is also interesting, Seavey's Sled dog kennel.

Be certain you have the Tundra Wilderness tour included at Denali Park. :)

For culture, consider Totem Bight and Potlatch Park, via city bus and printing out the guidesheet before you go- for Ketchikan.

I can see that I have more research to do. We chose this cruisetour because we wanted a northbound trip leaving from Vancouver on Princess on the dates that we had available. It just seemed to meet most of our wishes. I haven't read much about the Kenai Peninsula but our travel agent highly recommended it. We are not fishermen. Are you recommending that we take the Kenai boat tour on the day that we disembark from the ship? Would Princess transfer us to the boat and then take us to the Kenai Princess Lodge after the excursion?

I don't have a specific timeline from Princess yet. I just assumed that we would be arriving at the lodge around noon because our information shows that we would have the afternoon to ourselves at the lodge.

Our cruisetour includes the Natural History Tour in Denali and I had already planned on upgrading to the TWT.

We had also planned to take the bus to Totem Bight but I don't know anything about the

guidesheet. Where do I get one?

Thanks for your advice.

Karen

Karen, find out exactly what Princess is going to do for you from your ship on to the Kenai Princess Lodge and what tours they might have for sale.

I have to ask: has your travel agent actually been to Alaska on a cruise and visited the Kenai Princess Lodge?

I would also telephone the Kenai Fjords boat trip you are interested in doing in Seward and get the lowdown from them about what Princess does or does not do with their passengers/cruise tour people relative to the boat trip.

Calling Alaska is no charge on many cell phone plans and although it may take a few tries to get the phone (or email) answered, once you get Alaskans going on explaining how things work, you generally will get good information. It is very much worth a try.

It also may be a good idea to telephone the Seward tourist info people.

I can see that I have more research to do. We chose this cruisetour because we wanted a northbound trip leaving from Vancouver on Princess on the dates that we had available. It just seemed to meet most of our wishes. I haven't read much about the Kenai Peninsula but our travel agent highly recommended it. We are not fishermen. Are you recommending that we take the Kenai boat tour on the day that we disembark from the ship? Would Princess transfer us to the boat and then take us to the Kenai Princess Lodge after the excursion?

I don't have a specific timeline from Princess yet. I just assumed that we would be arriving at the lodge around noon because our information shows that we would have the afternoon to ourselves at the lodge.

Our cruisetour includes the Natural History Tour in Denali and I had already planned on upgrading to the TWT.

We had also planned to take the bus to Totem Bight but I don't know anything about the

guidesheet. Where do I get one?

Thanks for your advice.

Karen

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totembgh.htm The Totem link is on the page.

The Kenai Fjords boat tours pick up at the cruiseship dock.

You need to find out the last Princess lodge transfer from Seward which is best found out direct after they open in May. Otherwise you would have to go with a Princess tour the next day. Be certain, there are at least 6 hours on the water, and NOT a bay boat tour, which is shorter. This is assuming you have Two nights here? Since you have only one night at the Denali Lodge, be certain you have enough time to upgrade. the Eielson shuttle bus is superior for gettting you to the visitor center, and farther into the park at 1/3 the cost. BUT- does require YOU to manage transfers. (which some people can not)

We are looking at this same princess cruise. It is good to know that the lodge in kenai and there is not much to do. We might reconsider our itenary.;)

Very wise choice. Even though, if wanted to, changes prior to the trip can be done, but most people don't.

It is FAR better to make the right choices to begin with.

The cruisetour descriptions are very vague, causing most people to make wrong assumptions. Alaska travel always involves time and money. Be certain you are getting your money's worth, and don't settle for poor plans.

Your ship unloads you in Seward, what is your noon reference?? Arrive where?

IF you may be thinking about going back and forth between Cooper Landing and Seward, frankly you don't want to make this 2 hour round trip more than once.

Why did you pick this cruisetour? Was there something you wanted to do at this location?Fishing is the most popular activity, but depending on your dates, you may be too early?

Yes, I have done a Kenai Fjords boat tour, which is "always" an activity I repeatively enjoy. It makes the most sense to pick this up your disembarkment day since you are in Seward. It is not "freezing"cold end of May, I have gone in this timeframe many times.

Exit Glacier is a worthwhile stop, Alaska Sealife Center is also interesting, Seavey's Sled dog kennel.

Be certain you have the Tundra Wilderness tour included at Denali Park. :)

For culture, consider Totem Bight and Potlatch Park, via city bus and printing out the guidesheet before you go- for Ketchikan.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totembgh.htm The Totem link is on the page.

The Kenai Fjords boat tours pick up at the cruiseship dock.

You need to find out the last Princess lodge transfer from Seward which is best found out direct after they open in May. Otherwise you would have to go with a Princess tour the next day. Be certain, there are at least 6 hours on the water, and NOT a bay boat tour, which is shorter. This is assuming you have Two nights here? Since you have only one night at the Denali Lodge, be certain you have enough time to upgrade. the Eielson shuttle bus is superior for gettting you to the visitor center, and farther into the park at 1/3 the cost. BUT- does require YOU to manage transfers. (which some people can not)

I am confused. Where do you get the idea that her ship is arriving in Seward. If this is Princess her debarkation port is Whittier. I think her original idea was that the cruise tour would go through Seward on the way to the Kenai Princess Lodge which I don't know if it does. But based on your and PennyAgain remarks about it being an isolated lodge I doubt it will make a stop in Seward. But having never done this cruise tour I don't know.

I am confused. Where do you get the idea that her ship is arriving in Seward. If this is Princess her debarkation port is Whittier. I think her original idea was that the cruise tour would go through Seward on the way to the Kenai Princess Lodge which I don't know if it does. But based on your and PennyAgain remarks about it being an isolated lodge I doubt it will make a stop in Seward. But having never done this cruise tour I don't know.

Yes, I am wrong thinking is was HAL. Princess and NCL both use Whittier. RCI, HAL, Celebrity use Seward. The only way you can go "through" Seward is by cruiseship. the Princess lodge is an hour away. Take a look at a map, Seward is mile 1. Next stop is the ocean. :) The Kenai Lodge is very nice, but there along with the McKinley Lodge and Copper River Lodge are never any places I would be without a car.

Thank you, Suzanne. Since we have never been to Alaska before, I'm sure that we will be thrilled with whatever we decide to do. It's discouraging when you ask for suggestions and are instead told that you have made a mistake and should change your plans because you should have done more research before you booked a tour. I hope this doesn't dissuade other cruisers from asking questions.

Karen

Thank you, Suzanne. Since we have never been to Alaska before, I'm sure that we will be thrilled with whatever we decide to do. It's discouraging when you ask for suggestions and are instead told that you have made a mistake and should change your plans because you should have done more research before you booked a tour. I hope this doesn't dissuade other cruisers from asking questions.

Karen

What you will find on this board are entirely accurate first hand information. You asked, and clearly did not realize details of what you had purchased. You have been given very good information.

Sorry you are only looking for positive responses, of which you have found one above with Suzanne. No one is trying to do anything here but be complete and accurate, with details that cruisetours never have at the booking. I will again say, the "fault", if any is placed is entirely with the cruiselines. As an example- did you know the details of your Natural History tour before you booked? Many do not- which is significant. This board allows the ability to make changes, with the exact details how- if of interest. That is all.

Feel free to discount any information. You will find these boards are read by many people making plans, so the GENERAL information which is mentioned could be used by others.

Karen

Please take a good look at the excursion list. Absolutely NOTHING that hasn't been already mentioned in this thread EXCEPT those excursions are all PRINCESS and way over priced.

As most everyone has pointed out, the Kenai Princess is a BEAUTIFUL lodge. BUT it is a long way from anyplace. You are essentially "captured in Princessland" without a car. Can't even get to the Sunrise Inn which is basically DIRECTLY across the river and has very good food (especially breakfast) without about a 3 mile hike. http://www.alaskasunriseinn.com/

On the excursion list is the typical Kenai Fjords cruise (it appears to be the 6 hour trip and not just the "float around Seward") and a "look around Seward". Everything else other than the Lake Clark bear excursion is basically based out of the lodge and way, way overpriced compared to private excursions. BUT you can't book a private excursion from the Kenai Princess because private vendors NOT doing business through Princess are NOT allowed on the property. So without a car, you have to walk to the end of the private, PRINCESS road to meet a private vendor. At least 1+ miles each way.

So let me offer an alternative. If you really don't want to drive yourself for the entire trip (VERY, very easy and you can stay in the same hotels if you wanted to), take one of the TWO DAY in Denali cruise tours (generally 3-4 days total). Or even the train to Denali trip offered by both Princess and the Alaska RR.

Then when you get back to Anchorage, rent a car, drive to the Kenai Princess, enjoy all that the lodge has to offer but also everything else that the Upper Kenai and Seward have to offer.

Best of both worlds, IMHO. You are probably spending a lot of money for this trip. Get the best value out of your money. And captured at the Kenai Princess with everything from food to entertainment to transportation regulated by Princess is NOT very good value for your money.

Enjoy!!!

For Karen of PA. For the most part I don't post on here much anymore but we love Alaska and mountains and wildlife and on and on so I still try to read these boards often.

As to Kenai and the Princess lodge we did in part exactly what you are doing but some years ago and we enjoyed it so much that we still talk about it even though we have been to Kenai two more times since and stayed in Seward and we never rented a car at any time.

We loved the Princess lodge truly a wilderness lodge and beautiful. Good food, good scenery and you will have good neighbors to talk to.

You can book the six hour tour through Princess, and we did, you will be picked up at the lodge delivered to the tour and returned to the lodge after the tour. A no brainer. And it is a marvelous tour if I might a world class tour with world class scenery.

Some times when you are visiting a new place like Alaska it is not a bad idea to just let someone else do some of the details even tho it might cost a little more which it really doesn't for what you get IMO and just set back and enjoy it. We still book the majority of our tours through Princess and never have been disappointed, and we do some on our own when we are totally ok with it. End of May is ok but be sure you pull the sky light cover closed at the lodge at night.

You will love Alaska as I think all that posted here do also.

Gertz, thank you for the positive input. What tour are you referring to that you enjoyed in Kenai? Our friends will be fishing and my husband and I will be looking for a good tour to take.

They reference a Kenai Fjords boat tour out of Seward. The boat tour is 6 hours, plus about an hour each way for the transit. It is a top tour choice for varied wildlife and close up glacier viewing, far superior to what is seen from your cruiseship. Take precautions if prone to sea sickness- I see sick passengers EVERY trip.

Gertz, thank you for the positive input. What tour are you referring to that you enjoyed in Kenai? Our friends will be fishing and my husband and I will be looking for a good tour to take.

If you are adventurous, the river rafting trip was a lot of fun.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions and advice. I read so much on the boards before I booked this cruisetour. I realize the pros and cons of booking with Princess and not doing the land tour on our own. However, we are rather limited because we are traveling with another couple one of whom had a serious medical problem and now uses a cane. I know it will be more expensive for us but I just don't want her to have to worry about toting luggage around. She will also feel more secure knowing that Princess is taking care of transfers, etc;

I have already planned all of our other excursions - some of which are with Princess and others are private companies or on our own. Taking the advice of many of you, I think we will book the Kenai boat tour to the National Park. I am very happy to hear that Princess will pick us up at the lodge and then return us there.

I was very glad that this cruisetour gives us two nights at Denali. I was aware that the History Tour was included when I booked the tour but I had also learned on the boards that it was very easy to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour so I knew that would not be a problem.

Thanks again to everyone who has responded with help in planning our stay in the Kenai Princess Lodge.

Karen

Karen, it is especially difficult to plan for another couple.

I am careful what I post about activities in Alaska as I am very used to being extremely footloose. I have family members who work in the various aspects of the tourist industry in Alaska.

The cruise industry must be doing some things right or it wouldn't do business.

Have a great trip!

Archived