Do you ever get bad anxiety just before your cruise?

Ladysilver

We have a couple of close relatives who are alcoholics. Whenever we go away for any amount of time it seems as though we can count on at least one of them doing something stupid and causing lots of trouble for us. I guess our default mode is pretty full of anxiety, but it does ramp up during the weeks preceding a cruise.

I reach my anxiety peak after the cruise, on the drive home, wondering what might have happened while we were gone.

Well, THAT was depressing. I'm gonna go book an excursion to elevate my mood a bit.

I hate flying.....so if I have to fly I have anxiety before and after the cruise... Real fun! But it's worth it... Looking forward to next cruise since we are driving to port.....no anxiety! Lol!

Bonnie

At least you fly. I'm so petrified I don't do things I'd love to. I'm lucky that I live close to Fort Lauderdale, but all cruises go to the same islands. I want to see Europe, Orient--but NO. Good for you, you do fly.

I'm SO excited about our cruise in just 8 days!! We've waited SO long and now it's almost here. At the same time, I have a lot of anxiety thinking about everything. Hoping we all stay well, worrying about my little dogs being boarding for a week, forgeting something important, etc., etc....:(

After nearly forty cruises, I still get anxiety before each one. It just doesn't get any better even after all this time.

I don't relax until we are on board the ship. I can't help it I have a slight bit of anxiety in everyday life but once we are on board I am fine. I also hate packing. Like for our last cruise the day before I was not in a good mood because innate to pack. Once it was done and we were driving to the port then once I saw the ship I was better.

I try not to. My wife's all, I dunno, about the packing and stuff right now. She wants me to tell her exactly what suitcases we'll be taking. I say, just pack everything we need, I'll move the stuff around if I need to. Wow...who know that was such a horrible thing to say? But seriously...how can I say we need X suitcases, if I don't know how much we're taking?

Well, it's all in two carry-ons right now, with room to spare. And she's working the next five days in a row, so maybe she won't go too crazy on me...long as I plan to be out of the house when she's not at work (won't be hard, got a large shopping list, I can easily stretch that out over 2-3 days).

I'll relax as soon as we're on the road. Maybe catch a quick nap. Then I'll let her drive for a bit. :)

I'm always worried about forgetting some small detail like a passport and not being able to board! Thus I'm already double checking things 60-odd days or more out! GF says I obsess, but better that than standing on the pier going "Oh no, passport at home!"

I wouldn't call it anxiety -- more like running around to make sure that everything from stopping the mail to going to the bank and everything in between including ironing, packing clothes etc is done on top of all the routine stuff we do in our regular lives. We're leaving Friday morning and I'm working M- W regular hours but 7A to 10P on Thursday so I pretty much have to be done packing on Wednesday night. I can sleep on Friday all day though, hubby and friends will be driving :-)

Our first ever cruise, back in 1987, was a company trip. 12 of us out of a group of 24 missed the plane because the limo company hired to get us to the airport had a case of "blue flu" that morning. Somehow the airline got us all on another flight, but with a connection, and they held the ship for us. As the last person carried his luggage up the ramp, the door closed, and the ship was starting to get underway before we found our cabin!

Needless to say, for any trip we take, I get nervous the night before and relax when I am sitting in the plane!!

I used to "worry" about kids and my dogs at home until I atarted adding International cell service to my calling plan. I could call from every port and I felt so much better. Now just knowing that I can call, seems to make it all better and I rarely call at all. Odd how that has worked out now that I think about it...

It seems to me you are just a responsible person and your anxiety is from wanting to do everything right. :) We make a list of everything that we would worry about.... stove turned off, lights on timer, newspaper and mail on vacation hold, neighbors watching house, alarm on, etc. Just as we leave, we go through that check list so we are sure that one of us didn't assume the other did it and we KNOW it was done.

We also fly to our departure port at least a day or two early. We missed the first two days of a cruise once from "mechanical problems" of our plane. :rolleyes: Never again! That's another worry we don't have anymore.

Our only worry now is elderly parents. They are in good health, but in their 80s and we always worry about a fall or sudden illness. We do buy "cancel for any reason" insurance, so if they seem to be getting sick, we would cancel.

I'm afraid I will be the same when I cruise next year. I'm going on a 10 cruisetour by myself. Don't get me wrong I'm very excited but I won't have that other person to tell me to relax, double check the room/cabin, watch my suitcase when I go to the bathroom at the airport, etc.

I hate flying too! I should look into the valium thing... That stresses me out and that we always cruise in Jan and live in Ohio!

I am ok once we are on the plane and know it will arrive ontime - always fly nonstop from Calif now

I am the one who stresses about every little detail while my husband sits backs and doesn't really care about anything until we are walking onto the ship- then he gets excited. I wish I could be like that!

My village idiot thinks that you pack some underwear and walk out the door - "why all the stress"//:confused:

Now....all I double-check is my passport and cruise tickets

Have your cat send you a few emails - our dogs do! Or....also, no news is good news

We have our own business, so double trouble. I now do not run around cleaning and tidying up - figure if someone breaks in, it looks like someone already ransacked the place and they will leave.

All will be well, if anything is forgotten it will be available on the ship or in ports.

You are in for a pleasant surprise once you set foot on the ship -

I hardly worry at all. Good thing we are getting closer to sail date, I can now check the extended weather forecast (3x/ day) and see there is no blizzard a-coming. I've been checking on the stock prices and neither the cruiseline nor the airline seem to be heading toward bankruptcy. I got my flushot without side-effects. All the automatic timers are set, dog boarding ready, mail halted, neighbor informed. Suitcase weighed. Needed paper work sorted and arranged for chronilogical use. Hair and nails done. I'm ready-Freddy, oh boy!

Wait... do I feel a toothache coming on?

One other thing we do is take a course of Cipro with us. It's a perfect wide-spectrum antibiotic to have on hand, just in case we do get that tooth abscess or bladder infection.

SMerritt, to each his own, but I hate walking back into a messy house, so we absolutely clean the house top to bottom and take out all the trash, clean the sinks and run some baking soda through the garbage disposal. If we're going to be gone more than a couple of weeks, I have my sister come and run some water through the sinks and bathtubs to keep the traps blocked off. If they dry out (evaporation) there is a terrible smell that comes in through the unblocked pipes. Yuck! Nothing worse! :(

Archived