Might need to Cancel due to Sandy

pjcoach

I have taken my kids out of school for a whole week once. One did very well keeping up with his work, the other not so much. He just couldn't pull his head out of vacation zone. So it's always a personal choice.

Another thing, when we had a huge snow storm (5') and school (and most of town) was closed for the whole week. Having had a blizzard the month before, all the snow days were used and the school year was going to be extended. But, because it was considered a natural disaster in our county, the school district applied to the Governor for an exception. It was granted:)

I'm not sure what the laws are in your state, but maybe there is something similar. We just had a lot of snow (some damage) but it didn't take months to recover.

I hope everything works out for you. There is nothing better than the anticipation of a vacation.

the school districts have all been told that they need to use vacation time before waivers will be considered.

I'll argue that the decision to cancel is due to the decision your school disctrict is making,,, NOT directly due to Sandy.

Having said that, you should be able to recover that non refundable portion of your down payment through your insurance.

I might need to cancel my familys cruise in February due to Sandy. My children may be required to attend school during President's week to make up for days off due to Sandy. I will find out on Tuesday morning (12/4).

I called Carnival today, and as of right now if I cancel before 12/4, I would lose $50pp (total of $250) from our deposit. Not terrible. My final payment is due on 12/4. If I cancel after 12/4, I will lose the entire $250.

Just curious if anyone else is in the same position and if so has heard anything from Carnival. I know New York politicians have sent letters to teh cruise indsutry and airlines about waiving penalties, but Carnival has not reacted as of yet.

Your final payment is due on the 4th. Don't make it until the kids get home. If you cancel on the 4th it is still only $50 pp penalty. You have until midnight to make your decision, and CCL is open 24/7 You will have at least 7 or 8 hours after the kids get home to make a decision.

Carnival did not waive the penalty when we rebooked today, but in today's Newsday I read that most of the airlines are waiving the rebooking fee.

I know it's frustrating. District where my boyfriend teaches made the decision to cancel February break 2 weeks ago, the district where I live waited until today to announce the decision to cancel break.

My guess is that you are going to lose at least part of February break.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

I am a teacher here on Long Island and my district has taken back ALL of President's week, including Predident's Day....ouch! They refused to take from our built in snow days because they feel we will need them due to heavy snow this winter. They basically told staff that if they have proof of airline purchase prior to Sandy than they will allow you to take the week off but you will be docked days. As for families, I know of a few who have no intention of canceling their trips. Just do what you are most comfortable with😀

Thought I would give everyone an update. My school district decided that the schools would be open the entire week except for that Monday of President's Week. My wife and I felt that it was in the best interest of our kids to have them attend school and for us to cancel our vacation.

So, I was able to get a a full refund from USAir for my outbound flight. I got lucky because there was a schedule change and an equipment change, so I had the option of a refund or a voucher.

I was able to get a voucher on American Airlines for my return flight. All fees waived, and I need to book travel within a year of the voucher being issued.

I was able to get a $200 credit pp ($1000 total) to be used for a future cruise within 2 years, and I lost $50pp ($250 total) due to cancelling.

So at the end of the day, I only lost $250. I feel fortunate that it was a relativley small amount.

We are dissapointed that we will not be getting soem warm weather in February, but we will live. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Safe travels!!

Thought I would give everyone an update. My school district decided that the schools would be open the entire week except for that Monday of President's Week. My wife and I felt that it was in the best interest of our kids to have them attend school and for us to cancel our vacation.

So, I was able to get a a full refund from USAir for my outbound flight. I got lucky because there was a schedule change and an equipment change, so I had the option of a refund or a voucher.

I was able to get a voucher on American Airlines for my return flight. All fees waived, and I need to book travel within a year of the voucher being issued.

I was able to get a $200 credit pp ($1000 total) to be used for a future cruise within 2 years, and I lost $50pp ($250 total) due to cancelling.

So at the end of the day, I only lost $250. I feel fortunate that it was a relativley small amount.

We are dissapointed that we will not be getting soem warm weather in February, but we will live. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Safe travels!!

I was thinking of you on Dec 4th~glad to know that you know now what you are doing! Glad it worked out w/not too much of a loss. It is meant to be & you will cruise again I am sure! Happy Holidays & stay warm!

Archived