Conquest mattress hard

Gulf Breezer

We just got off the Conquest sailing 11/11-11/18. We loved the ship and the 2.0 upgrades. I was really looking forward to 7 nights of those wonderful Carnival beds. The first night I knew the bed was not as soft as the other Carnival ships I had sailed. I tried it another night and finally asked the cabin steward if he had anything to soften the bed. He put a little something under the sheets which helped a little but not like I remembered. I asked several others who were traveling with us and they agreed that they were not as comfy as they remembered so it was not just me. I was wondering if anybody else had this experience on the Conquest. I don't know if they changed the mattresses out in the drydock upgrade or not.

It bothered me so much that we are booking the Conquest again in October 2013!! Thanks for your feedback.

We just got off the Conquest sailing 11/11-11/18. We loved the ship and the 2.0 upgrades. I was really looking forward to 7 nights of those wonderful Carnival beds. The first night I knew the bed was not as soft as the other Carnival ships I had sailed. I tried it another night and finally asked the cabin steward if he had anything to soften the bed. He put a little something under the sheets which helped a little but not like I remembered. I asked several others who were traveling with us and they agreed that they were not as comfy as they remembered so it was not just me. I was wondering if anybody else had this experience on the Conquest. I don't know if they changed the mattresses out in the drydock upgrade or not.

It bothered me so much that we are booking the Conquest again in October 2013!! Thanks for your feedback.

Like any mattress - it softens over time. How many hundreds of people - maybe thousands, of different shapes, of different sizes, of different weights lay on a mattress. When it is brand spanking new YOU are wearing it in and will take time. Next time you lay on the mattress (the exact same one) you will say, ya - this is more like it. Then you can thank your previous, fellow cruisers for breaking it in for you

OP, it is not just you! I started a thread on this exact same thing back in April:

Is it just me, or are the beds getting "less comfy" ??

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1606390

It was not a well-worn mattress. It was a different harder mattress. Maybe we both had the same bad luck to have the one cabin with the crappy bed? LOL.

~Denise

Give me a hard as a rock mattress anytime over the ones that are so soft that they almost fold double every time you turn around. If the mattress is hard on a cruise ship, count your blessings, it means that they are actively updating mattresses as the old ones wear out.

No, they are replacing the old comfort beds with much firmer mattresses. There's a significant difference and they've been replacing with the new ones for a while now. The Conquest has the newer firm mattresses. However, we've also had them on the Magic, the Victory and the Glory in the past year or so.

I don't like them at all and there's nothing they can do to make them softer. I wake up during the night with such a backache, its hard to stay in the bed. I've had several cabin stewards say they've tried putting TWO comforters under the sheet but passengers report it still doesn't help much.

I had a 1A on the Conquest a few months ago where they pushed the sofa bed next to the other bed and it looked just like a king bed.

Before we booked it my wife said I had to sleep on the sofa side because she thought it would not be as comfortable.

After she tried it out, she made me sleep on the bed side and she slept on the sofa side. This worked out perfect for us because I love an extra firm bed and she likes a soft one. We were both very comfortable. :)

I had a 1A on the Conquest a few months ago where they pushed the sofa bed next to the other bed and it looked just like a king bed.

Before we booked it my wife said I had to sleep on the sofa side because she thought it would not be as comfortable.

After she tried it out, she made me sleep on the bed side and she slept on the sofa side. This worked out perfect for us because I love an extra firm bed and she likes a soft one. We were both very comfortable. :)

We have this situation on our Breeze cruise next month, but I had read that there was a height disparity between the sofa bed and the twin bed and because of this pushing them together would result in a dip in the middle. :confused:

Archived