Excursion to St John- Where does it dock?

terias

If I'm planning on using an RCI ship excursion to St. John for transportation to the island, where does it dock? I was planning on my group hiking over to Salomon and Honeymoon, but I want to make sure we're still within walking distance of the trail head.

Have you considered doing a self-excursion to STJ to save precious time? Many folks find they have a more enjoyable day by taking a taxi to the Red Hook ferry and taking the short 20 min ferry to Cruz Bay. The price is about $34pp roundtrip (1/2 hr taxi and 20 min ferry each way) and usually much quicker than the ship-sponsored ferry excursion.

Just a thought! :)

I'm paying extra for the convenience on this one. I've got a group of 10 of us that includes my 5 and 8 year olds. Simplicity and less cramming into a taxi to try to get to docks on time is key for me. I'll stress less. Which is what this is all about, right? :-D

Personally I would consider the self excursion less stressful, and we enjoy more beach time or alone time exploring by not being with a larger group. It reduces the wait times for 4 taxis and 2 ferries. But the ship excursion is a no-brainer and can be easier when you have a large group to manage as terias does.

Usually going on your own gives you more beach time, because you can come and go when you want, and the ships seem to intentionally time their excursions to encourage you to return as quickly as possible yet still give you your moneys worth.

But, it can also depend on when the ship's tour leaves, because they sometimes have early disembarking for some tours. Check your excursion options to see when it departs and returns before making your decision.

Yes, as ms411 noted, understanding the ship tour times may help too. The ship excursion transportation is identical to the self-excursion, and you can benefit from the self-excursion by getting to the ferry terminal one ferry earlier than the ship tour if you're able to get off the ship early. Just less "herding" time basically.

But either way no biggie, after doing this once folks will just do it on their own to save both money and time.

Yup. If it were just me and my husband or a couple of other people, I'd feel more comfortable doing it on my own. But as it is, I feel the 5ish hours we'll get on the island from the Destination St. John excursion will be adequate for us to hike to the beach and back, have a drink and maybe a meal at High Tide, and do a little shopping at St John Spice before we head back. And if not? Well, maybe my next big family vacation should be to take the kids camping at Cinnamon Bay!

Archived