Prepaid Specialty Coffee Cards

tserface

OK, I know Celebrity doesn't sell these, but I just wanted to post this in case any Celebrity decision makers actually read this stuff. The *one* thing I really loved on the Princess cruise we took this year was that we could by a punch card ($35 for 15 coffees) to use for getting specialty coffees. It was a slightly better deal on each drink and incredibly convenient when getting the coffee (just a little punch punch and you're done... nothing to sign, no receipts to worry about, etc.)

I also know I can purchase an unlimited beverage package that would include specialty coffees, but that is way more expensive and I just don't drink enough alcohol or coffee to make it worth it. Also the cards are good for "number of coffees" so I could get one for my wife on occasion without her having to have her own card. It just took two punches.

We love Celebrity and really the only thing that Princess had going on them, from my perspective, is the coffee card and way better cookies and donuts.

The scale still tips to Celebrity... but I said my piece.

Tom

i love the NA beverage package. Coffee, bottled water, soda, fresh juice etc.

I do not want to carry a punch card.

Just show them my seapass, very easy!

Me too, the premium non alcoholic card is perfect for me, gives me everything I want and there are no limits on anything.

I'm not sure how that compares. Isn't that package something like $252 per person for a 7 day cruise? That's a lot for one vanilla latte every morning. One card for $35 was a way better deal in my opinion.

Tom

Me too, the premium non alcoholic card is perfect for me, gives me everything I want and there are no limits on anything.

I'm not sure how that compares. Isn't that package something like $252 per person for a 7 day cruise? That's a lot for one vanilla latte every morning. One card for $35 was a way better deal in my opinion.

Tom

No I am talking about the premium NON alcoholic package. For a 12 day cruise it costs me $216. I am not much of a drinker and this gives me all the following :all canned and fountain soft drinks , Premium Bottled Water from Evian, Perrier and San Pellegrino, Specialty Coffees and Teas, Non-Alcoholic Frozen Drinks and Smoothies, Red Bull Energy Drink and Specialty Waters from Vitamin Water.

This card turns my vacation into an all-inclusive holiday and I truly get my money's worth from it. In specialty coffee alone I have at least 2 a day, a couple of frozen mocktails during the day, freshed squeezed juice with breakfast, I take bottled water into port, a couple of mocktails in the evening it all adds up to a great deal for me.

I do agree that it would be nice for Celebrity to offer a coffee card to those who would not get the use out of the non-alcoholic card. I I think that they have nothing to lose in making it an option. On Princess I hated having to carry another card in addition to my sea pass I like it all built in to one card.

For my 12 night cruise on the Silhouette in June it is $249 for the Premium non-alcoholic-----I guess thats great if you want all the coke, red bull, etc. But if you dont want to drink all that junk---then I see where this coffee card comes in handy! Its crazy how much it is for theose cards--sort of forces one to drink,lol

I don't drink a lot of this stuff at home. We only have soda in the house when we have company. We drink a lot of water. When I go away I like to splurge and have some things I don't normally have at home. I don't look at it like it's junk, just a treat. I do like the waters available, and the huge bottle I can get when I go ashore, keeps me hydrated in the heat.

We agree with the OP. We would definitely purchase a premium coffee only card. We don't drink sodas or smoothies, so the non-alcoholic package is not worth it for us. So, Celebrity, if you're listening - there are some of us who would buy a coffee only card.

Another vote for the coffee card. We don't drink sodas or smoothies and we never carry bottles of water around on shore - we just buy a drink if we are thirsty - so the coffee only card would be perfect for us.

Hope Celebrity is listening.:)

Nobody forces you to buy a beverage package of any kind.

Price out what you want to drink on a cruise and either pay for it or see if a beverage package makes sense to you.

As to coffee cards: $35. for 15 specialty coffees, cost you $2.30 per cup.

I think the actual price on board is $4.00 per cup, so you save $1.70 per cup.

So you save $11.90 on a seven day cruise. Less that a price of a martini.;)

It's true we're not talking about a lot of $$$, but it is more convenient. This doesn't make me sail Celebrity or not by any means. In my original post I think I pointed out that it was one of the few things we liked about Princess... that and the donuts. They have pretty amazing donuts to go with the coffee and Celebrity ... not so much.

Tom

Price out what you want to drink on a cruise and either pay for it or see if a beverage package makes sense to you.

tserface,

Now your talking.

A good donut and a good cup of coffee. Great way to greet the day.:)

And I really do not remember the donuts on Celebrity. I know I probably had one.

But then I will never forget the waffles:)

The OP just suggested that Celebrity add another option. It's more the convenience of the card, and the fact that some of us don't want to buy one of the current beverage packages which do not suit our beverage preferences.

My computation is different than yours. Since both of us love good coffee, and drink at least two coffees per day, my calculation is that two coffee cards would be about right for each of us for our usual 14 day cruises. Using your numbers, there is a savings of approximately $25 per 15 drink card. That would equate to around $100 per cruise for us. The total cost for both of us on a 14 day cruise would be $140.

The OP just suggested that Celebrity add another option. It's more the convenience of the card, and the fact that some of us don't want to buy one of the current beverage packages which do not suit our beverage preferences.

My computation is different than yours. Since both of us love good coffee, and drink at least two coffees per day, my calculation is that two coffee cards would be about right for each of us for our usual 14 day cruises. Using your numbers, there is a savings of approximately $25 per 15 drink card. That would equate to around $100 per cruise for us. The total cost for both of us on a 14 day cruise would be $140.

I concur!!

While your numbers are accurate, with someone like me, X would come out ahead.

I would buy that card.

But without the card, I may or may not buy a specialty coffee. On our 12 night cruise, I think I went there 2 times for a good cup. The card would be calling me to go there......:D

I'm surprised people pay close to $800 for the top of the line drink pkg!! I like to have a few drinks, but rather put the $$ towards other stuff!! Then again, I'm prob not your typical cruiser---I'm not really on the cruise to be social--but to see the countries,lol

I figure one glass of fresh squeezed OJ, 1 or 2 specialty coffees a day, and some bottled sparkling water a day, and my premium non alcoholic package is worth it. And i don't have to worry about my account at the end of the cruise

Why do we want one cruise line to be like another? Every cruise line has it's own special offerings and features

No argument whatsoever about the waffles... Celebrity has the best. Ever!

Tom

tserface,

Now your talking.

A good donut and a good cup of coffee. Great way to greet the day.:)

And I really do not remember the donuts on Celebrity. I know I probably had one.

But then I will never forget the waffles:)

OK, I know Celebrity doesn't sell these, but I just wanted to post this in case any Celebrity decision makers actually read this stuff. The *one* thing I really loved on the Princess cruise we took this year was that we could by a punch card ($35 for 15 coffees) to use for getting specialty coffees. It was a slightly better deal on each drink and incredibly convenient when getting the coffee (just a little punch punch and you're done... nothing to sign, no receipts to worry about, etc.)

I also know I can purchase an unlimited beverage package that would include specialty coffees, but that is way more expensive and I just don't drink enough alcohol or coffee to make it worth it. Also the cards are good for "number of coffees" so I could get one for my wife on occasion without her having to have her own card. It just took two punches.

We love Celebrity and really the only thing that Princess had going on them, from my perspective, is the coffee card and way better cookies and donuts.

The scale still tips to Celebrity... but I said my piece.

Tom

Having sailed on both Celebrity and Princess, the coffee cards on princess are strictly for coffee- On celebrity, the cards aren't just for coffee. You get soda, juices, non-alcoholic virgin frozen drinks (premium card) and bottled water. The cards can be used all over the ship including the speciality restaurants, theatre and dining room. The celebrity "card" is more inclusive.

Just to be clear... I wasn't advocating that Celebrity add coffee cards *instead* of the current package. I just think they are convenient for people who only want one or two coffees a day and no soda or other stuff. Maybe they wouldn't even do it as a punch card. They could just add a "Limited coffee package" with just a different kind of sticker. Although that makes it more difficult to keep track of how many have been used.

We're not talking a lot of $$$ so I doubt this would ever even happen. It was just an idea that I liked from Princess. I sat in the bar by the International Cafe every morning having one of those great cream filled donuts with my vanilla latte and it was a great way to start the day. The punch card just made it more convenient. OK, maybe it's the donuts I really miss :rolleyes:

I think the current packages are great for people who drink that much and/or can afford them.

Tom

Having sailed on both Celebrity and Princess, the coffee cards on princess are strictly for coffee- On celebrity, the cards aren't just for coffee. You get soda, juices, non-alcoholic virgin frozen drinks (premium card) and bottled water. The cards can be used all over the ship including the speciality restaurants, theatre and dining room. The celebrity "card" is more inclusive.

On celebrity, the cards aren't just for coffee. You get soda, juices, non-alcoholic virgin frozen drinks (premium card) and bottled water. The cards can be used all over the ship including the speciality restaurants, theatre and dining room. The celebrity "card" is more inclusive.

But if you don't drink sodas, juices, and non-alcoholic virgin drinks, the non-premium package is not at all worth the cost. It would be nice to have a coffee package for those of us who just prefer quality coffees a couple of times a day.

It's certainly not a deal breaker with Celebrity, and we wouldn't sail on Princess just because of their coffee cards, but it would be a nice addition to the packages available on Celebrity.

We sailed on Princess for a few years (8 cruises) and then came back to Celebrity. We purchased the Princess coffee card and it was well worth it. Princess makes wonderful cappuccino - the best of the 5 lines we have sailed with. We usually had the cappuccino in the MDR with dessert. If you had sailed on at least 5 cruises, there was a coupon in the cabin so that you could buy 2 coffee cards for the price of'one. We also enjoyed the specialty coffees and teas in the International Cafe. We returned to Celebrity because we prefer the food and ambiance on Celebrity ships.

Celebrity did offer these at one time and I am really sad that they no longer have them. I do not drink soft drinks or alcoholic beverages. I am diabetic and coffee is my three times a day 'sugar free' craving! Very inconsiderate of Celebrity!!!! Royal Caribbean offers a 'coffee room' with a machine that makes decent coffee for their Diamond class and they have a Starbucks available on the main level. We're Elite on Celebrity but there is nothing.

Archived