Labadee in 1984 (Coco Beach)

Toddcan

I lived in Haiti in 1983-1984 as a missionary. One day off we visited a place called Coco beach. We played football, and had a beautiful lobster lunch that some Haitian fisherman offered to cook for us - right on the beach. The beach was what is now known as Nellies Beach.

This photo was taken in 1984

Coco beach has been developed into Labadee by Royal Caribbean. You will recognize Dragon's Breath, the Bell Tower, Barefoot beach, and Nellies Beach.

I visited Labadee a few years ago onboard the Liberty of the Seas, but I did not know that this was the same location.

I will certainly appreciate our over the water Cabana on Nellies on our upcoming March cruise.

8245392779_2e7e0b70a7_b.jpg

Great photo and story! I believe RCI entered their property lease there in 1986? (which runs to 2050), so your visit was only a couple of years before their involvement and early stages of redevelopment.

We made our first port of call there in 1993 and can remember the early tender days at the old dock at the far right side past what is now Arawak Aqua Park. Then in later years they tendered at the pier just below Nellies Beach. And now it is at the pier at what used to be Hideaway Beach.

Quite a change as well since then to what it is now - all over the penninsula! Remains one of our favorite ports of call still.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

That is too cool. Are those residences or business buildings? Hard to believe its the same place!

I remember them being some sort of resort style buildings - like bungalows, but they were empty, just the walls/roof were up. It was as if someone was going all out on a build, but stopped all of a sudden, and things just sat there.

I'm in contact with the current site manager trying to get into some of the history. I'll post what I can when I know more.

That is too cool. Are those residences or business buildings? Hard to believe its the same place!

I was wondering that too, I suspect both? I was last in Labadee in 2008 just before they started building the pier, so that was an obvious difference. Back then, the large buildings in the lower right were used as the market place when I was there. I was also wondering how far the buildings existed on the North Coast west of the main peninsula were removed. I don't remember seeing any visible from the water there, we had to go a ways down the shore on the wavre runners to see any homes. . There are definitely some home looking structures on the peninsula that aren't there now. Great photo.

I'm going to be honest here: It's going to be tough for me not to get a little emotional sitting in my Over the Water Cabana in March knowing that this was the exact same location I was at almost 30 years earlier.

My connection to Haiti runs pretty deep, and I've not ever been back to Haiti due to the political unrest since I left in 1984 (except for Labadee)

I would be emotional as well. Thanks for sharing your story and picture. I've been to Labadee many times, first time being in 1996 when I was just 15 years old. I remember my first time there, and every time since I always think to myself what a beautiful place it is, pulling in to see the mountains, etc. It's one of my favorite places.

Thanks for shareing this picture and your experience. Our first stop there would be 1999 on the Grandure of the seas our first RCCL cruise and we loved it. There was not a lot there, some washrooms and they looked very new, the eating venues which are still in the same locations i believe. There was a small native market. We have been there almost every year since and watched it grow to what it is today. We always enjoy it, it seems to be getting a little too comercial i think but not too bad we still love it.

We are glad that RCCL has worked with the native people and built the local school and is working with the people we have met many workers on the the ship from Haiti. We all know what a poor country this is and we can help them make changes in there lives i think it is wonderful.

Happy Sailing

Brian J

Does anyone know what happened to the buildings? Did RCCL buy the land and knock down the buildings or were all of those buildings a victim of a storm?

I am in contact with the site manager. Someone on his staff has been with Royal since the beginning of Labadee, and even before. I am hoping to get some information from him and share it.

Stay tuned. If you are really interested, please subscribe to this thread. I promise to keep it posted with more information.

Wow! Thank you!

Those must have been really high quality pictures from the time! I don't think digital cameras were widely used back then?

It's hard to imagine it's the same place. Those houses looked really nice and neat. Were they for locals? Must have been a highend area.