Maasdam: Best Locations for Tour Departures?

In Retirement

Would appreciate hearing from previous passengers of Maasdam or sister ships with good visual/spatial memories. We have planned private tours and try to locate on each ship the best spot to gather as a group before each tour to then walk down the stairs to the gangway together (assume ship is docked, not tendered). Any advice? Looks like maybe somewhere on either Deck 7 or Deck 8?

Much thanks,

DJ:)

How large is your group usually? On the Lower Prom level the Atrium is a large open area with some seats around the walls, and it is close to the stairs you'll go down to the gangway.

I agree with John. It's right near the stairs and elevator to the gangway.

We are on the 21 December 14-day cruise with 7 port dockings and 1 tender. Current groups run in size from 4 to 13 (could still grow a little more in next 2 weeks). Agree not inside showroom -- that is where folks on ship's tours will gather?

Looking at the deck plan, where do you remember these specific stairs are located? (Do they look like facing horseshoes just below the showroom?) Does anyone remember for these forward elevators (4) which floor designated to exit at gangways?

http://www.cruisecheap.com/ships/holland-america-line-maasdam-deck-plans.html

I guess that I'll also Google each port to check on location and visuals as well as email each tour company for their directions from gangway to vehicle.

Thanks again,

The atrium stairs originate just about at Ocean Bar and go down to Atrium/front office area.

Yes, I see Atrium stairs from Deck 7 to Deck 8. On newer/larger ships these stairs are even longer/higher. But they don't lead to a gangway that you walk down to the port dock? Any idea where the stairs are that lead to the gangway?

On our last Maasdam cruise, there was an early Tai Chi class in the Atrium. That made the Ocean Bar preferable, as we didn't want to disturb the class. I think the class is usually in the Crows Nest, but a group of people were holding a Zumba class there. Needless to say, the Zumba music was a bit distracting for the Tai Chi gang, so they went below. This is probably not an issue on most cruises.

The exit for most port days was the forward stairwell, and since the Ocean Bar is forward, the proper stairs/elevators were right there.

For my private tours I use the Pinnacle Bar (on the ships that have a Pinnacle Bar) and the Ocean Bar on the others. It has always worked out well and very easy to locate all of your group:) My vote for the Ocean Bar as well;)

Yes, I see Atrium stairs from Deck 7 to Deck 8. On newer/larger ships these stairs are even longer/higher. But they don't lead to a gangway that you walk down to the port dock? Any idea where the stairs are that lead to the gangway?

The stairs that lead down to Maasdam's gangway are on A-Deck (Deck 4) forward, starboard side. They lead to the B-Deck (Deck 3) gangway. When that gangway is being used, the forward passenger elevator cars will be "unlocked" allowing (elevator) access to B-Deck and the gangway. Since B-Deck is a "crew only" deck exept for gangway ops, those pax elevators are normally "locked out" and don't go down there

Archived