Buying AA ticket with miles

terryinal

I'm thinking about buying AA miles to purchase a one way ticket from BHM - BCN. I have some miles but will still have to buy about 15,000.Is this a good way to buy a one way ticket for a TA or is there something I need to know about. I have never done this before.

It's easy to figure out. Look at what a ticket will cost you for your routing; use http://matrix.itasoftware.com.

Then, look at what it will cost you to purchase the miles, and make sure there is award availability for your date. Note AA is currently having a special and offering a bonus if you purchase miles before 12/31/2012:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/purchasingMiles/main.jsp?from=Nav

Figure out what works best for you.

Try doing a "dummy" AAdvantage booking through to where you can see the taxes/fees to see if it's worth buying miles. Routings through LHR add a hefty fee, eg in looking at flight options to Florence using AA ff miles I found $196 fees in addition to miles flying via JFK from CLE-LHR-FLR, vs. $17 fees flying CLE-Dusseldorf-FLR . The flight via DUS is on AirBerlin, which may be even more uncomfortable in economy than other airlines, but if I'm able to book their XL seats for 60 euros apiece, it's still a savings!

Although we've never done so, the one-way airfares purchased through the cruiseline (ChoiceAir for Celeb, RCL and Azamara) are reportedly well-priced.

Although we've never done so, the one-way airfares purchased through the cruiseline (ChoiceAir for Celeb, RCL and Azamara) are reportedly well-priced.

Well priced - perhaps. But know that you are almost always buying heavily restricted tickets, not published fare tickets. As I wrote in another recent thread: And of course, know that "Choice air" tickets often come with some hefty restrictions. Do a search for "choice air" and "consolidator" in this forum and you will get some further perspective. And don't be fooled by the weasel words in the Choice Air description of their service.

With the good deal to buy miles this month on AA that is what I think I will do.Now this me,I would perfer to pay a little more then use a consolidator.I don't know about fare codes and all that stuff. But from what read on this board most don't care for them. From doing a dummy booking it would be less then a consolidor anyway.

Assuming this is for the cruise you're showing for next November, I think it's a pretty decent deal considering the bonus now being offered. Even if you were starting from scratch, the 20,000 miles needed for the one-way trip would cost much less than $500, which is very cheap for a one-way flight. When you're looking on the AA site, uncheck the "British Airways" box on the availability screens, which will mean you won't be subjected to BA's nasty fuel surcharges.

Assuming this is for the cruise you're showing for next November, I think it's a pretty decent deal considering the bonus now being offered. Even if you were starting from scratch, the 20,000 miles needed for the one-way trip would cost much less than $500, which is very cheap for a one-way flight. When you're looking on the AA site, uncheck the "British Airways" box on the availability screens, which will mean you won't be subjected to BA's nasty fuel surcharges.

This is for the cruise next year. Still have a few weeks and will have to buy 412 dollars of miles. Still puts it at around 500 or less. Someone told me about the not checking BA.Since know one told me bad storys about booking this way I will go ahead and buy the miles. Thanks everyone for your help.

Still have a few weeks and will have to buy 412 dollars of miles. Still puts it at around 500 or less.
Don't assume that seat availability will be the same in "a few weeks." AA doesn't have many flights to BCN, and if you have to switch to BA or Iberia to get over the pond, the fuel fines can mount quickly. I'd do it sooner rather than later if I were you.

Archived