Its ‘Modern Luxury’ fleet complete, Celebrity focuses on yields

Cruising89143

Interesting article.

Having more 7 day cruises in Europe would allow a combined land and cruise vacation for many passengers who still are working and can only get away for about 2 weeks.

Learned a new phrase"golden nugget" ;)

Interesting article.

Having more 7 day cruises in Europe would allow a combined land and cruise vacation for many passengers who still are working and can only get away for about 2 weeks.

I agree. It's hard for me to take two plus weeks off at a time as I feel that it's too much work to catch up when I return. We chose RCI for a cruise next year due to the seven night itinerary verses a longer one.

Interesting article.

Golden nuggets :- 'cruise aficionados who spend freely on board, purchasing art, wine, etc.' :eek: :D

Very interesting article. I was puzzling over where I fit into Celebrity's marketing scheme. I'm definitely not a "golden nugget" nor a "metropolitan trendsetter." Possibly a bit of a "globe trotting culture seeker", lol.:rolleyes: I did find it interesting that the article says that Celebrity will "try to make the experience more family-friendly (catering, for example, to parents taking teen-agers to Europe for cultural enrichment) . . .." We took our kids on the Equinox to the Med in 2011 and we are taking them with us to the Caribbean on the Silhouette for Spring Break 2013. I wonder how they plan to make it more "family friendly."

"The ‘Modern Luxury’ branding will continue to convey that Celebrity offers everything upscale consumers want ‘without that old formality and pretense,’ as vp marketing Lisa Kauffman put it."

I'm surprised that this comment hasn't spurred a dress code war on the forum already!! :rolleyes::p

"The ‘Modern Luxury’ branding will continue to convey that Celebrity offers everything upscale consumers want ‘without that old formality and pretense,’ as vp marketing Lisa Kauffman put it."

I'm surprised that this comment hasn't spurred a dress code war on the forum already!! :rolleyes::p

I'm a little surprised at some of the language that was used by the Celebrity marketers. I found some of it, such as the quote you highlighted, to be a bit disrespectful.

I'm a little surprised at some of the language that was used by the Celebrity marketers. I found some of it, such as the quote you highlighted, to be a bit disrespectful.

What causes me alarm is the sentiment that they feel they're underpriced. I think I'm paying a fair price as it is, thank you very much. :eek:

What causes me alarm is the sentiment that they feel they're underpriced. I think I'm paying a fair price as it is, thank you very much. :eek:
I believe the issue is their own discounting of cruises prices, not so much the original pricing.

I believe my Summit cruise price is "fair" .It's less then almost all comparable RCI, Carnival and NCL cruises.

Also way less then their more direct competitors , HAL and Princess.

I am thrilled with the "fair" price I paid but am not sure they are.:)

BTW- Not sure where I fit in their "three key affluent market segments"

Hmmm"globe-trotting culture seekers,’ ‘metropolitan trendsetters’ and ‘golden nuggets’ ".

How about opportunistic non loyal deal pursuer?

As the article said, now Celebrity's focus will be on yield. That means more $ per day per per passenger. Now whether its in the form of fares, drink charges, specialty restaurants. excursions, Internet or whatever...it means higher prices in the future. The other way to increase yield is to lower costs, food costs, liquor costs, employee expense....

I believe my Summit cruise price is "fair" .It's less then almost all comparable RCI, Carnival and NCL cruises.

Also way less then their more direct competitors , HAL and Princess.

I am thrilled with the "fair" price I paid but am not sure they are.:)

BTW- Not sure where I fit in their "three key affluent market segments"

Hmmm"globe-trotting culture seekers,’ ‘metropolitan trendsetters’ and ‘golden nuggets’ ".

How about opportunistic non loyal deal pursuer?

LOL, I love the "opportunistic non loyal deal pursuer" label. :D When we booked a Spring Break cruise for our family of four, it was cheaper for us to book two AQ cabins on the Silhouette than to book a balcony and an inside on the Allure of the Seas. That was fine with me because I'd rather be on Celebrity, but the strategy seems to be for Celebrity to target a more affluent demographic than its typical RCCL consumer and charge more for the upscale X experience. But the market demand hasn't worked out that way so far.

Sure, we would too.

However, Celebrity has lost us for 2013. We are limited timewise and seasonally. The 10 night cruise this year gave us only a quick visit to Rome, and the only 10 nighter next year is the same itinerary. Can't do a 12 nighter and have time before or after the cruise. We've booked a seven night cruise with RCI, and we'll have time In Venice before, and time in Rome afterwards.

We'll still have to recover from jet lag, but we will have seen more.

Actually I find it 100% accurate and not disrespectful.

Just look at the new ships and the refurbs. They project an image of moderne, minimalistic...but classy. Basically like many 5 star hotels of the late 20th and early 21st century ( in old terms yuppy). Think a Standard Hotel in NYC or a W Hotel and one of the Ian Schrager operated hotels in London. It's not starchy like a Waldorf Astoria or a London Ritz hotel.

Therefore, I would imagine they are looking for the people this appeals to and its basically mid 30's, 40's and 50's usually no kids with disposable incomes. The Steve Jobs of this world for who a dinner suit or tux is not pleasure but a reminder of work. This does not mean they are slobs but it means they relax in the old country club casual style and for them a holiday is not dressing like they may do 5 days a week back home.

And this means a shift away from current demographics as they feel (I imagine) they need to start courting a new generation to secure their financial future. It is no different from any business to whom stagnation is death..just look at the ones that have not moved into online retailing.

We prefer 12 to 14 day European cruises. With the expense and jet lag of getting there, you barely recover (on a 7 day cruise) before you must return

Same.

And what many cruise or travel companies are starting to realise as they stagnate in the US market and reach some sort of saturation point, is that 2 weeks holidays are not an issue in most of the rest of the developed world where in Australia, New Zealand, Europe, UK we all get 4 weeks leave from day one of our job ( not have to build up to it and work years at a company) so taking 2-3 or 4 weeks off is not unusual.

In addition, we get long service leave....if we stay with an employer for 10 years or more the. We are entitled to a once off 3 months leave in addition to at years 4 weeks. So not only do we have the money to send we also generally ( there are exceptions) have the time to spend it.

Just look at the new ships and the refurbs. They project an image of moderne, minimalistic...but classy. Basically like many 5 star hotels of the late 20th and early 21st century ( in old terms yuppy). Think a Standard Hotel in NYC or a W Hotel and one of the Ian Schrager operated hotels in London. It's not starchy like a Waldorf Astoria or a London Ritz hotel.

Therefore, I would imagine they are looking for the people this appeals to and its basically mid 30's, 40's and 50's usually no kids with disposable incomes. The Steve Jobs of this world for who a dinner suit or tux is not pleasure but a reminder of work. This does not mean they are slobs but it means they relax in the old country club casual style and for them a holiday is not dressing like they may do 5 days a week back home.

And this means a shift away from current demographics as they feel (I imagine) they need to start courting a new generation to secure their financial future. It is no different from any business to whom stagnation is death..just look at the ones that have not moved into online retailing.

All of this is possible without dissing the people who have been your main clientele up to now.

All of this is possible without dissing the people who have been your main clientele up to now.
I don't believe that positioning Celebrity to be "everything upscale consumers want without that old formality and pretense"

is insulting its existing clientele.

My impression is there is an overlap between Holland and X. It is said that HAL's clientele are the Newlywed and the nearly dead.

True or not, Celebrity clearly does not want that image. They wish to be seen as much more "hip".

Time will tell if they are successful in this refocusing of their brand image.

I don't believe that positioning Celebrity to be "everything upscale consumers want without that old formality and pretense"

is insulting its existing clientele.

My impression is there is an overlap between Holland and X. It is said that HAL's clientele are the Newlywed and the nearly dead.

True or not, Celebrity clearly does not want that image. They wish to be seen as much more "hip".

Time will tell if they are successful in this refocusing of their brand image.

I don't have an issue with the positioning. Speaking personally, I don't have a dog in this race. However, maligning a style of cruising that was well-loved by many longtime Celebrity cruisers, by referring to it as "pretense", IS insulting to those that enjoyed it. It is disrespectful language and completely unnecessary.

Have to say, very well said. Nail on the head.

Therefore, I would imagine they are looking for the people this appeals to and its basically mid 30's, 40's and 50's usually no kids with disposable incomes.

Exactly right. My girlfriend and I are both 30yo professionals and the modern luxury hotel decorative style is one of the things we love about Celebrity. It reminds us of our favorite hotel brand, Kimpton.

Exactly right. My girlfriend and I are both 30yo professionals and the modern luxury hotel decorative style is one of the things we love about Celebrity. It reminds us of our favorite hotel brand, Kimpton.

Funny you should say Kimpton. It's exactly what it reminded me of but I didn't say so as no one outside of the US (where they are) would know of the brand.

I have stayed mainly in Kimptons on my visits to the US - LA, San Fran, Washington DC, Philly and NYC. Love the laid back but classy decor there..

Archived