Does anyone ever get nervous or maybe a little scared before a cruise?

goldgirl2

As someone else said...don't dwell on the "what ifs ?" Think of the good

time you had last time, and that was with some rough days. Rough days

at sea are the exception, not the rule.......Visualize an even better cruise

because of calm seas, which is what you probably will get. Have fun! There

is no better vacation than a relaxing cruise.

As someone else said...don't dwell on the "what ifs ?" Think of the good

time you had last time, and that was with some rough days. Rough days

at sea are the exception, not the rule.......Visualize an even better cruise

because of calm seas, which is what you probably will get. Have fun! There

is no better vacation than a relaxing cruise.

Well said.

I know someone who won't cruise because she is afraid of sharks.

That's just as ridiculous as someone refusing to fly because the flight goes over bad neighborhoods. If the thing they are afraid of becomes a reality (close encounter with the shark or bad neighborhood), then trust me, they already have MUCH worse things to worry about at that point. Things have probably gone terribly wrong (as in making worldwide news wrong).

That's just as ridiculous as someone refusing to fly because the flight goes over bad neighborhoods. If the thing they are afraid of becomes a reality (close encounter with the shark or bad neighborhood), then trust me, they already have MUCH worse things to worry about at that point. Things have probably gone terribly wrong (as in making worldwide news wrong).

People's phobias don't have to make sense. If they did make sense then they would be called "legitimate concerns."

I know whole families that won't go because they can't swim. Huh???

I only get nervous when I have a nightmare about forgetting our passports....

You'll be fine, have a ball!

Years ago my DH wouldn't cruise with me for the exact same reason, so I would go with my girlfriends! After I FINALLY convinced him to try one of the "small" RCI ships (Monarch), he's never quite been the same....he's officially a CRUISE SNOB....LOL :eek:

I believe the OP needs just one more sailing to calm her nerves, then as you said, she'll be fine!

I have only been on one cruise. I was never going to go on a cruise. Then my company's national convention was on a cruise and I was pretty much forced to go. I was terrified. I went and had a great time. I did not get sea sick and that was one of my biggest fears. We were in rough water a couple of days and my head felt funny (I don't drink alcohol). I was also nervous about no contact with the kids. I am one week away from making our final payment and I am freaking out again! I am once again scared to go:eek:

OP, I'm curious, what was it about cruising that scared you so? And in what way was this fear magnified (or at least not neutralized) by taking your previous cruise? If you can isolate exactly what it is that is getting you scared -- even in the face of having already (presumably) faced it by taking your last cruise -- maybe you can get a better handle on overcoming it.

EDIT: I see that you said in a later post that you were scared of the ship rocking. Did you experience this on your first cruise? If so, did the fact that you came through unscathed (I'm presuming that you did, anyway) help calm this fear? Or, conversely, was your last cruise smooth as silk, and thus you still haven't had to face your fear?

FWIW, I've been on rocking ships before. It wasn't scary to me. In fact, I actually thought it was kind of fun; like being drunk (staggering around the hallways) without the annoying hangover later!

I don't know if I would use the term"scared" nervous(maybe) I am always afraid of forgetting something or something will happen while I am out in the middle of the ocean that is totally out of my control. I havee on over a dozen cruises now I have just gotten used to the jitters over the years:)

We've been on over 10 cruises and have never been scared or worried until this last cruise over Thanksgiving on the Carnival Splendor. It was the ship that caught fire over the Pacific a few years ago and got stranded with no air conditioning or running water for 3-4 days before it got towed back. So I had very vivid dreams of my family dying a few days prior to getting on the ship last month. It was the only time I felt apprehensive. However, once we sailed, I was totally fine and it was a great time (and nothing happened)!

I may find myself being nervous again next Spring when we sail the Allure, which holds some 5500 people and 1500 crew. The thought of being on a floating barge with 7000+ people has me slightly wigged out. But I know I will be fine once we take off...

Katherine

OP, I'm curious, what was it about cruising that scared you so? And in what way was this fear magnified (or at least not neutralized) by taking your previous cruise? If you can isolate exactly what it is that is getting you scared -- even in the face of having already (presumably) faced it by taking your last cruise -- maybe you can get a better handle on overcoming it.

EDIT: I see that you said in a later post that you were scared of the ship rocking. Did you experience this on your first cruise? If so, did the fact that you came through unscathed (I'm presuming that you did, anyway) help calm this fear? Or, conversely, was your last cruise smooth as silk, and thus you still haven't had to face your fear?

FWIW, I've been on rocking ships before. It wasn't scary to me. In fact, I actually thought it was kind of fun; like being drunk (staggering around the hallways) without the annoying hangover later!

What you said makes great sense. However fear is usually irrational. I know fear stands for Feelings & Emotions that Arn't Real! We were in a storm and had 12 foot waves. I was fine until we went in to see a show and could really feel the rocking. I did not get sick but I did not like the rocking at all. Several people in our group got sick. We had two rough days. I'm just so worried about hitting rough water. Have not got over that one.

I haven't had my first cruise yet, but I had to reply when I saw this. We are taking our first cruise in June, and I have already had some scary dreams. I have had a reoccurring dream about huge waves taking my kids out to sea for years now. We are already leaving the 3 year old at home, but now I am thinking about leaving DS6 and DS11 home too. I was also worried about DS6 going overboard. I was so excited about our cruise, now I'm getting pretty nervous. I think I can relate to the OP!

We've been on over 10 cruises and have never been scared or worried until this last cruise over Thanksgiving on the Carnival Splendor. It was the ship that caught fire over the Pacific a few years ago and got stranded with no air conditioning or running water for 3-4 days before it got towed back. So I had very vivid dreams of my family dying a few days prior to getting on the ship last month. It was the only time I felt apprehensive. However, once we sailed, I was totally fine and it was a great time (and nothing happened)!

I may find myself being nervous again next Spring when we sail the Allure, which holds some 5500 people and 1500 crew. The thought of being on a floating barge with 7000+ people has me slightly wigged out. But I know I will be fine once we take off...

Katherine

Allure is hardly a floating barge.

Allure is hardly a floating barge.

So true. But in my dreams it is!

Steamboat Holly, regarding kids being swept away, we have been cruising with our children since they were 3 and 8. The way modern ships are designed, that just can't happen. It's not like they can even climb up on railing. The railings are high and the underneath is made of glass with nowhere to rest your feet to get up there. There are literally NO places to be swept off of or fall off of anymore. My sister has the same fear and refuses to cruise because she can't fathom how a ship can be so "enclosed" and yet be so safe for kids. I would encourage you to consider taking the 3yo too (unless you just want to get away and have peace). The kids clubs are fabulous and the young ones LOVE all the attention, toys, activities, etc. NO WAY should you leave the older kids at home because of this. That would be such a huge loss for them. Cruises make a lasting impression on kids (in a very positive way) and give them memories they will cherish for a lifetime.

BTW, speaking of irrational fears, my dad won't cruise because of 1) pirates, 2) rogue waves. Once he told me that I needed to change my cabin (we booked an aft balcony suite on Princess) because if the ship "got hit in the rear by another ship" I would be the "first to die". :rolleyes::rolleyes::o He is now 72, too ill to travel, and missed out on sooooo many wonderful trips. Instead, he sat on his couch at home, safe and sound all those years, watching the world go by him. SIGH.

Not nervous, but I am very type A, and what helped me before our last cruise was my CRAZY packing method!

This was our honeymoon cruise, and we flew out the Sunday of the cruise, the night after the wedding. We had 6 bags- two huge suitcases that we checked (flew from CLT TO SJU), two carry-on suitcases, and two carry on "personal bags".

I organized lists for what would go in each suitcase, and then divided each list into what could be packed a week before, Friday night after rehersal dinner and before wedding festivities, and Sunday morning. Once I crossed it off the list, it meant it was in the suitcase- and if it was in the suitcase, it was not leaving!

Very OCD, but made me feel better to know I had everything in there :)

I actually posted this question myself about a week ago. :) I was nervous until I dropped off my dogs this morning at the kennel. Since then, I've finished packing, had my nails done, and now I'm just waiting to board the Mariner tomorrow!

I used to get nervous driving the 4 hours down to Port Everglades the morning of the cruise. With significant $$$ at stake, we now drive down the day before. One time Alligator Alley was closed due to fires. Sure, we have insurance, but I don't want to miss the cruise. This eliminated that problem and lets us sleep in on cruise day.

I have only been on one cruise. I was never going to go on a cruise. Then my company's national convention was on a cruise and I was pretty much forced to go. I was terrified. I went and had a great time. I did not get sea sick and that was one of my biggest fears. We were in rough water a couple of days and my head felt funny (I don't drink alcohol). I was also nervous about no contact with the kids. I am one week away from making our final payment and I am freaking out again! I am once again scared to go:eek:

Never nervous or scared, but I get weird dreams like where we are boarding the ship and I realize I have no luggage for the trip, just the clothes on my back.

Once he told me that I needed to change my cabin (we booked an aft balcony suite on Princess) because if the ship "got hit in the rear by another ship" I would be the "first to die". :rolleyes::rolleyes::o

Ever since they started installing the third brake light on the sterns of cruise ships, rear-end collisions have been dramatically reduced! :D

Not nervous, but I am very type A, and what helped me before our last cruise was my CRAZY packing method!

This was our honeymoon cruise, and we flew out the Sunday of the cruise, the night after the wedding. We had 6 bags- two huge suitcases that we checked (flew from CLT TO SJU), two carry-on suitcases, and two carry on "personal bags".

I organized lists for what would go in each suitcase, and then divided each list into what could be packed a week before, Friday night after rehersal dinner and before wedding festivities, and Sunday morning. Once I crossed it off the list, it meant it was in the suitcase- and if it was in the suitcase, it was not leaving!

Very OCD, but made me feel better to know I had everything in there :)

Ditto here about the packing. That's was has me most nervous now. Everything is all laid out just needs to be packed at the list's checked off.

In terms of getting nervous on the ship, my feelings are odd. I worked as a commercial fishermal for several years. I understand the workings of an 85 ft. boat even in 50 mile and hour weather. I got nervous at times but was in a comfortable zone.

Conversely, we've been in bad weather on the ship, and I about freaked out. I understand the "weeble" affect in how these ships are made, but it still feels weird to me. The extremely slow rock from side to side makes me feel as if we are not coming back.

All in my head I know! My husband laughs at me. We had a bridge tour once when the captain explained just how safe the ships were, and yet we sat on the beach and looked out this huge monstrosity, I just wonder while it doesn't just keel over. Not that I want to look, but I have never heard of that happening. We board thurs, and I feel like on the first day of school.

Happy sailing everyone!

Gosh no! I can't wait to go!!! My first cruise I was excited and a bit worried like you were. However I quickly found that these large ships really don't have much motion. It can get rough, I love the "rocking beds" at night and sleep like a baby.

Go on and enjoy your cruise and worry about which tour to take and which thing to do next on board the ship.:D

Archived