Bringing Alcohol as a Present - not smuggling!

tulch

We will be visiting with friends who live in Mexico and want to bring vodka and brandy that are not available on the ship, in any of the ports or in Mexico. I am traveling with elderly parents and would like to get through the embarkation process as quickly as possible. I appreciate any and all suggestions!

We will be visiting with friends who live in Mexico and want to bring vodka and brandy that are not available on the ship, in any of the ports or in Mexico. I am traveling with elderly parents and would like to get through the embarkation process as quickly as possible. I appreciate any and all suggestions!

I have never heard of this dillemna before.Perhaps you can get special dispensation from the Ship. I do know , however that NCL ships sell a variety of fine vodkas, and a vartiety of great Brandies. Perhaps the ship store when purchased tru them will hold it for you and release it when you disembark in Mexico...to visit friends...However this may open up a whole area of customs regulations.

I hope someone with more knowledge or someone who has done this can fill you in

Mexico requires you to declare imported liquor....you are travelling on a limited tourist card which may not have any allowances for importing liquor.

I would just forget it...if you bring in on board, it is likely to be confiscated until the end of your cruise (not allowed to get it back in the middle of the cruise). You won't be able to gift it in that case.

If you are somehow able to get it on board without being discovered by NCL, you most likely would be able to walk off the ship with it and deliver it in Mexico without being searched.

However, breaking any law in Mexico is a high risk activity, and it just does not seem worth it to me to deliver some liquor to a friend.

Mexico requires you to declare imported liquor....you are travelling on a limited tourist card which may not have any allowances for importing liquor.

I would just forget it...if you bring in on board, it is likely to be confiscated until the end of your cruise (not allowed to get it back in the middle of the cruise). You won't be able to gift it in that case.

If you are somehow able to get it on board without being discovered by NCL, you most likely would be able to walk off the ship with it and deliver it in Mexico without being searched.

However, breaking any law in Mexico is a high risk activity, and it just does not seem worth it to me to deliver some liquor to a friend.

Our bags were searched by Mexican authorities when we got off the ship at one of the ports in Mexico.

That right there is what would keep me from even considering it.

This just has Sticky Situation all over it! :eek: OP I fear this situation would be nothing but headaches for you and yours. Do yourself a favor and think of an alternative plan. Best of Luck and Enjoy your Cruise...... :)

These are specialty liquor products from former Soviet Republics, not generally available in the US (much less ports or ship's store or Mexico). They would be gift-wrapped and/or left with ship's security -- we don't have a problem with that - until we disembark for the port.

I guess I will check with NCL about the legality of "importing" foreign booze to Mexico. i was unaware of the restriction and I appreciate the "heads up!"

These are specialty liquor products from former Soviet Republics, not generally available in the US (much less ports or ship's store or Mexico). They would be gift-wrapped and/or left with ship's security -- we don't have a problem with that - until we disembark for the port.

I guess I will check with NCL about the legality of "importing" foreign booze to Mexico. i was unaware of the restriction and I appreciate the "heads up!"

I don't think the cruise ship is going to be real amenable here.

Something to keep in mind about Mexico: a motor vehicle accident is considered a criminal offense. Breaking their laws regarding import duty might be a real problem.

Archived