NOLA: port to the Gulf

SamFritz

I'll be sailing out of New Orleans in a few months and was curious about the sail out. How long does it take to hit the open gulf? Will it still be daylight as we sail out? Is it a straight shot, or are there a lot of twists and turns? Does it pass through mostly industrial areas, or is it mostly natural landscape? I'm just wondering what to expect as we sail away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just got off the NCL Star last month.

The ships leave right before dusk and travel down the river for aprox 8 hours till they reach open sea.

It gets dark quickly after you leave port so all you see is industry lights, barges, and darkness.

The channel does get narrow in some spots and very winding. Also it was cold and windy.

On our final night around 11PM while traveling back up-river, I walked outside and saw the Navigator OTS heading the other way. The 2 ships passed eachother very close.

Hi Sam. This is Rick. We are cruising with you on NOS. According to a website I checked, sunset for the day of our departure is 5:49. This means we should have some level of daylight until about 6:30. This should give a chance to at least see the metro area in daylight. From what others have said both here and elsewhere, the isn't much to see down river even if travelling in the longer daylight times. I do look forward to seeing how the various ship pass each other. Anyway.....See you soon.

Archived