VOS -- first day strategy??

bazzaw

In a way similar to when we first meet people - first impressions of cruiseships can be very misleading. -- I don't really like/enjoy the first day on cruiseships. Often you have the hassle of travel to the port, then you have embarkation :rolleyes:, then you have trying to get unpacked before they call the safety lecture, -- and , THE WORST OF ALL, the scramble,rush and bunfight called "the first day lunch in the Buffet" :eek: My personal experience tells me that lunch in the Buffet on the embarkation day of a cruise is to be avoided at all costs. For example, if any here choose to try out QM2 at some time, my advice is to keep away from the Buffet area (Kings Court) for at least 3 days until after you have fully explored the rest of the ship, else your perception of this marvelous ship be spoiled .

So - realizing that the time we have been allocated to board VOS will mean that we will need to eat before the evening meal, I am wondering what people who have cruised on VOS would recommend as an alternative to the Buffet on the first day? On (some ?) P&O ships, they open the MDR on the first day for lunch - but I understand this doesn't happen on VOS??

Barry

In a way similar to when we first meet people - first impressions of cruiseships can be very misleading. -- I don't really like/enjoy the first day on cruiseships. Often you have the hassle of travel to the port, then you have embarkation :rolleyes:, then you have trying to get unpacked before they call the safety lecture, -- and , THE WORST OF ALL, the scramble,rush and bunfight called "the first day lunch in the Buffet" :eek: My personal experience tells me that lunch in the Buffet on the embarkation day of a cruise is to be avoided at all costs. For example, if any here choose to try out QM2 at some time, my advice is to keep away from the Buffet area (Kings Court) for at least 3 days until after you have fully explored the rest of the ship, else your perception of this marvelous ship be spoiled .

So - realizing that the time we have been allocated to board VOS will mean that we will need to eat before the evening meal, I am wondering what people who have cruised on VOS would recommend as an alternative to the Buffet on the first day? On (some ?) P&O ships, they open the MDR on the first day for lunch - but I understand this doesn't happen on VOS??

Barry

Hello Barry

I must say that we always found the Windjammer fitted our needs, even on embarkment day as the passengers don't linger there so there's lots of "coming and going" and it's acceptable to share a table with strangers and really appreciated when you offer your spare seats to those looking for somewhere to sit.

The Cafe Promenade on Deck 5 - Promenade Deck may be an alternative for a light snack. All food there is free but if you want an almost decent coffee (Starbucks) you'll have to have it added to your "Seapass card" ($4.50 if I remember correctlly). There is FREE coffee & tea from a booth around the back section of the Cafe Promenade so long as you're happy with a tea-bag or sachet of coffee added to hot water.

Do try Portofinos for really fine dining! At just $20 per head for a really first-class evening meal, it is great value but you need to book. If you can book a party of 10 for the first night sail-away, you get a 30% discount, bringing the cost down to $14 per head. This has to be booked online 3 days prior to boarding.

There's also Johnny Rockets @ $4.95 per head plus extra for drinks if you're into fast-food American style. It's found on Deck 12 if I remember though I don't know if it will be available on embarkment day.

All the best for your cruise - Gae

I didn't find the first day too bad. Our boarding time was in the afternoon so we had lunch before getting on and then avoided the windjammer that day.

The most delay we had was at the mdr at dinner - a lot of people had their dining time changed and needed to sort that out.

Why not drop your bags and then have lunch at city extra at circular quay and get on board as late as possible. You will have a long time on the ship to get around so missing an hour or two on embarkation day will not be too bad. You will also miss the embarkation queues.

Why not drop your bags and then have lunch at city extra at circular quay and get on board as late as possible. You will have a long time on the ship to get around so missing an hour or two on embarkation day will not be too bad. You will also miss the embarkation queues.

Hi Karon

I think that might be a very good strategy :D Christine and I don't REALLY need to rush onboard , but we will have two virgin cruiser friends with us - and you know what those virgin cruisers are like!! :)

But anyway - what is "City Extra??"

Barry

Hi Barry,

When we sailed on Radiance earlier this year we were in the Windjammer at 12 noonish & it was quite empty.

We then checked out our cabin just after 1pm & it was ready, so we had unpacked etc by the time they had our drill.

But depends on what time you board as to wether Windjammer would be an option of course.

A lot of new cruisers don't do any research into the ship & have no idea were to go on boarding, so they often don't find the Windjammer until later which is good for those in the know.:)

The Windjammer offerings on day one are often reduced as well, so it's a simpler lunch option than other days.

It's likely the MDR will be closed for lunch & the promenade cafe may not open until later.

Maybe someone who boarded VOS early on a recent cruise can advise about opening times for the cafe?

But considering we are about to embark on 2 weeks of food laid on, missing lunch altogether could be a good option! :D

Hi Karon

I think that might be a very good strategy :D Christine and I don't REALLY need to rush onboard , but we will have two virgin cruiser friends with us - and you know what those virgin cruisers are like!! :)

But anyway - what is "City Extra??"

Barry

One might call it the Johnny Rockets of Circular Quay....

As we will be flying in on the day, so leaving home by 5.am we will be starving by lunch time. Our recommended boarding time is 12.30 but we will arrive at the OPT at around 11 ish, so either we will get on or we wont, but we will give it a go :D Its our 8th cruise so we know the buffet is not a true reflection of whats to come. We will then spend the afternoon exploring around the harbour. Dont think i will be up for sailaway, would have been on the go for 20hrs by then:eek:

As we will be flying in on the day, so leaving home by 5.am we will be starving by lunch time. Our recommended boarding time is 12.30 but we will arrive at the OPT at around 11 ish, so either we will get on or we wont, but we will give it a go :D Its our 8th cruise so we know the buffet is not a true reflection of whats to come. We will then spend the afternoon exploring around the harbour. Dont think i will be up for sailaway, would have been on the go for 20hrs by then:eek:

If you are C&A members you will have priority boarding anyway so should be able to get on board early, if not I think you will still get on early enough for lunch.

I have asked RCCL about getting back off the ship recently & they advised you can get back off, but you have to be onboard again 90 minutes prior to sailing when they close off the ships manifest.

Personally though, once I get onboard, I usually stay there, I used to work in Sydney & can visit anytime so the ship holds more attraction for me.

Plus I enjoy exploring the ship if you are onboard early before the crowds, get your bearings, take some pics etc, then sit back & relax whilst enjoying the unique view you get of Sydney harbour from the deck of a cruise ship.

We had boarding times of 2pm and 4pm for our two cabins.

We got to the OPT at 11:45 and they waived us through, we were on 45 minutes later.

Archived