Shareholder credit

cruising teacher

Cruising teacher, are you getting the teacher discount offered by Celebrity?

They wouldn't allow Stockholder benefit after I got the teacher discount.

I got shareholder credit on my last cruise and had the military discount.

It does seem that Celebrity is reluctant to grant shareholder credit. Too many ambiguous rules, that the intelligent cruiser has difficulty understanding. I agree, a clear and concise reason should be requested, if the shareholder credit is denied.

That being said, we have requested and received shareholder credit 100% of the time from Princess, Azamara, and HAL. 100% cooperation in each & every case. Shereholder credit was added to OBC offered by the cruise line, or the TA. Not an issue at all.

Why the difference? Celebrity needs to make their policies known. Put them in black and white so everyone understands them. They should be totally up front, instead of using smoke & mirriors to confuse the people who purchasee their product.

I won't address the issue of whether or not Celebrity should give the OBC in all cases, but their policy is pretty clear on the Shareholder Benefits page. They state they do not combine it with any other offer (the bold text is my edit). Now, it is fairly common knowledge that their enforcement/adherence to policies and rules is spotty at best. So I would agree with ghstudio. Apply every time. You may fall through the cracks and get it when you are not supposed to. Worst case, you won't get it if you are not eligible, but I think the odds of it being rejected when you are eligible is very small.

Benefit is non-transferable and not available to employees, or agents of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. or its subsidiaries and affiliates, travel agents and tour operators.
Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off” promotions and savings certificates.
Guests have the option to choose between the shareholder benefit or the other offer. The shareholder must own the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. stock at time of sailing. Onboard credit is calculated in US dollars except on sailings where the onboard currency used is a foreign currency (in which case the onboard credit will be converted at a currency exchange rate determined by the cruise line) and is not redeemable for cash. Certificate value credited to onboard account at time of sailing. Any unused credit shall be forfeited. Credit is applied on a per stateroom basis; double occupancy. Single guests paying 200% of applicable fare shall receive full value of certificate. Only one shareholder credit per stateroom. Only one credit per shareholder on any one sailing. If shares are held jointly, 100 shares are required for each onboard credit requested on any one sailing. Other terms and conditions may apply.

I wish all my investments had paid off as well as the 100 shares of RCL stock I bought about 12 years ago. I have gotten OBC that slightly exceed the purchase cost (sort of a non-declared, tax-free dividend) and the stock is almost 15% higher in price. And that is on top of the dividends it paid for most of those years.

I have found that, since we started booking with a large on-line agency who provides on-board credit, we usually can't get the shareholder credit. The reason we've been given is that our booking is considered a "group booking". This probably just means that the agency has reserved a large enough number of cabins on each sailing that they are considered a group in the eyes of the cruise line. That likely translates to a lower price, which the agencies use to provide on-board credit for the customers, which I'm sure is how these agencies get so many bookings to begin with.

Since the on-board credit the agency gives us is always larger than the shareholder benefit, we stick with the agency credit.

Edited by BrendaJ

Please help, I'm new at this.

I thought if I purchase stock in the parent company, RCCL, I would get OBC credit with either Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, or Azamara. Not true? Do I have to purchase stock in the individual company to get OBC on that particular cruise line? :confused: How do I purchase stock? How many shares? How do I collect shareholder's OBC?

I thought if I purchase stock in the parent company, RCCL, I would get OBC credit with either Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, or Azamara. Not true? Do I have to purchase stock in the individual company to get OBC on that particular cruise line? :confused: How do I purchase stock? How many shares? How do I collect shareholder's OBC?

You are correct in saying you have only to buy shares (100 minimum) to reap the OBC on either RCI, X, or Azamara. There are many ways to buy shares--we have our financial advisor do it it for us but you don't necessarily have to go that route. Here's a website to get you started if you're interested in the stock. http://quote.morningstar.com/Stock/s.aspx?t=RCL You can probably tell from this thread that getting your OBC is not always a sure thing as there are many conditions, but that's laid out on the RCL website (follow the link from the morningstar website).

Hi El Crucero,

You must own a minimum of 100 shares of Royal Caribbean stock, to be eligible for the shareholder benefit for all 3 brands. Details on the benefit can be found here : http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit . This should answer all of your questions. If not, please post again, and we will try our best to answer.

I hope this helps. Happy Holidays !

Wow I did not know about this - I just went a bought 100 shares. What is the teacher credit or discount ? How do we go about getting that ? My wife is a teacher.

Edited by dgparent

I have found that, since we started booking with a large on-line agency who provides on-board credit, we usually can't get the shareholder credit. The reason we've been given is that our booking is considered a "group booking". This probably just means that the agency has reserved a large enough number of cabins on each sailing that they are considered a group in the eyes of the cruise line. That likely translates to a lower price, which the agencies use to provide on-board credit for the customers, which I'm sure is how these agencies get so many bookings to begin with.

Since the on-board credit the agency gives us is always larger than the shareholder benefit, we stick with the agency credit.

I got a group rate for my upcomming cruise this week. Plus $150 OBC from the agency. I asked where the OBC was coming from, them or cruiseline. It was from them. I sent in my information and got the $100 obc.

Dear Mr. Anderson,

Thank you for your email.

The requested shareholder s onboard credit has been applied and is confirmed to reservation 7597### in the amount of $100.

Kind Regards,

Coupon Redemption Team

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

Agency Customer Notes

Confirmation Number: 7597###

Rate Code: 6408516_GRPXA01

A instant discount has been offered instead of a onboard credit, plus a additional onboard credit of $150 dollars. Gratuities included in the total price $80.50 p/p.

Edited by Bosjoe

• 1 year later...

We purchased 100 shares after reading the Wall Street Journal about RCL share holder benefits. There were no restrictions listed in the WSJ article.

Now we are trying go get these OBCs for 2 cruises this year, one with Azamara and one with Celebrity. So far, it doesn't look good because we purchased these cruises at a discount through an online agency. The agency also gave us OBC but that should not affect share holder benefits, as in their printed statement.

It appears that if you pay full price and book through the RCL family then you get the share holder benefits. Policy is not consistent after reading all these threads.

This is the statement from RCL on our Azamara cruise: The requested shareholders onboard credit cannot be applied to reservation ------ as it is confirmed with pricing (interline rates, chartered sailing, complimentary cruises, etc.) that is not combinable with the shareholders onboard credit offer.

It appears other people are having the same problem!

1) The fact that the WSJ didn't mention restrictions means nothing.

2) The stockholder credit is given independent of where you purchased the cruise. It is only dependent on whether you have received another benefit from celebrity. The confusion arises because celebrity is not clear (or consistent) as to what other benefits are combineable and which aren't. For example, I believe the stockholder credit can be combined with a senior fare...but I don't think it can be combined with a tuesday special fare (irrespective of where you purchase it). There are so many deals offered including group rates on board purchase credits that are combineable, and so on...that it's impossible to figure out whether you will or won't get a stockholder OBC on a cruise. Those of us who cruise often on Celebrity always request it and let them figure out if it is applicable or not.

Yes, you should always ask WHO is providing a benefit...is it the TA or is it celebrity. That may help..but some TA's fib a little, etc. Oh yes, Amex will tell you that they are providing an OBC, but then celebrity will deny the stockholder OBC because there is some deal between amex and celebrity.

Very very confusing. If you bought the stock just to get the discount, just sell it because you'll never figure out whether you should or shouldn't get the OBC on a given cruise.

That's annoying. Carnival Cruiseline (Princess, Cunard etc) make no distinction as to how the cruise has been purchased. It's a shareholder benefit and should not have these distinctions applied.

Plus, CCL OBCs are combinable with almost all other OBCs from the cruise line including early booking, military, veteran, etc.

I booked a last minute cruise on Celebrity last Spring after final payment and got a great reduced rate, and also got the Shareholder OBC. The previous summer I booked a Tuesday Special to Bermuda and also got the OBC.

Maybe your TA gave you a special discounted rate, and that rate amounted to a discount from Celebrity, so no combining Celebrity OBC?

Could you please tell me , when you book last minute, what is the minimum days Celebrity requires ( prior to the cruise) to process the shareholder benefit.

If the information is sent to them via e mail, how long does it take to get a response?

Could you please tell me , when you book last minute, what is the minimum days Celebrity requires ( prior to the cruise) to process the shareholder benefit.

If the information is sent to them via e mail, how long does it take to get a response?

If you send an email with the required full and correct info to the correct address, you will get a SAME DAY email response acknowledging receipt of your info. (this does NOT confirm your OBC, THAT takes a little longer)

I booked this past November 1st transatlantic on Reflection only 10 days prior to embark in Rome.

I sent the email on 25 October, got acknowledgement the same day, and received confirmation of the $250 OBC on 29 October!

This was in addition to a last minute fare of only $449pp for the 15 night cruise!

Last November's transatlantic on Constellation was similar, and the $250 OBC didn't show up until the third day of the cruise, but it DID show up.

The shareholder credit IS combinable with other OBC FROM TRAVEL AGENTS, but is NOT combinable with other OBC FROM CELEBRITY.

Edited by teecee60

Hi Jascal,

According to the Shareholder Benefit FAQ, you must submit the request at least 2-3 weeks before your sailing date. With that said, you can always try submitting it later if you absolutely must, but it will likely be processed on a best efforts basis.

As for getting a reply, it's hit and miss. Sometimes, I've received a reply, and sometimes not. The good news is, they do a great job of putting the OBC on your booking quickly, as long as you qualify.

If you do not receive a timely reply, I suggest calling your TA or Celebrity if you've booked direct, and request a "Booking Confirmation - Guest Copy", which will confirm whether the OBC was added to your booking.

Here's a link to the Sharholder FAQ: http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit

I hope this helps, and Happy New Year !

We are still trying to get OBC from Share Holders Benefit and received this message today:

"As loyal guests and a shareholders, you are very important to us and your insight is highly valued. Please understand in order for us to continue to be a good investment for you, we need to consider how applying multiple discounts and or offers can affect our profitability, especially in these economic times. This is why we are unable to combine these benefits. We hope you can understand how, in the long run, these business decisions end up benefiting all our shareholders."

I have read the other threads about these benefits and people were getting OBC from TA's and from Share Holders Benefit. Has anyone tried this year to get the Share Holders Benefits?

We got OBC from the TA but it is less than the Share Holder OBC so we want the OBC from the Share Holder Benefit only. Will keep you updated if we get it!!!

We are still trying to get OBC from Share Holders Benefit and received this message today:

"As loyal guests and a shareholders, you are very important to us and your insight is highly valued. Please understand in order for us to continue to be a good investment for you, we need to consider how applying multiple discounts and or offers can affect our profitability, especially in these economic times. This is why we are unable to combine these benefits. We hope you can understand how, in the long run, these business decisions end up benefiting all our shareholders."

I have read the other threads about these benefits and people were getting OBC from TA's and from Share Holders Benefit. Has anyone tried this year to get the Share Holders Benefits?

We got OBC from the TA but it is less than the Share Holder OBC so we want the OBC from the Share Holder Benefit only. Will keep you updated if we get it!!!

The OBC from your TA (if it really is from your TA) is not your problem. It sounds like you booked your cruise using some special offer price and/or group price that is not combineable with shareholder OBC. I would ask the shareholder folks specifically what the other offer was.

My guess (25% chance of being right) is that there was confusion (accidental or intentional) about who funded the on board credit. If it was celebrity, then you can pick the higher credit. If it was the TA, then it's reasonable to ask specifically why they are denying you the shareholder OBC.

Edited by ghstudio

I booked through a TA and got on-board credit. When I asked if I would also be able to get shareholder credit, she said yes because the original OBC was from the TA, not Celebrity. However, I did get a group rate through the TA.

I just submitted my request to shareholder benefits today. Let's hope I don't get turned down.

I heard from our TA. The OBC credit from the TA is fine, not an issue. We won't get the share holders credit for Aug. cruise because it is part of the "wave promotion."

Still don't know about the Feb. cruise. Hope we are not turned down on this one also!

Our two cruises are not eligible for share holder benefits. The Aug. one because of the 123 promotion (wave) and the Feb. because we got a reduced price.

As far as we are concerned, we will never be able to use the share holder benefits program as we always get discounted cruises within the RCCL family from TA's. Too bad it wasn't explained to us that it didn't include discounted cruise fares!!! We should have asked but were told it included all cruises with RCCL!!! I should have read the threads here first! When it seems to be too good to be true, it usually is!!

Our two cruises are not eligible for share holder benefits. The Aug. one because of the 123 promotion (wave) and the Feb. because we got a reduced price.

As far as we are concerned, we will never be able to use the share holder benefits program as we always get discounted cruises within the RCCL family from TA's. Too bad it wasn't explained to us that it didn't include discounted cruise fares!!! We should have asked but were told it included all cruises with RCCL!!! I should have read the threads here first! When it seems to be too good to be true, it usually is!!

Don't know about that. This seems like they are trying something new. We've had dozens of Stockholder credits on both Celebrity and RCCL and trust me, we've never booked a cruise that didn't have some sort of either discount (in the "old" days) or OBC from the TA (since they deep-sixed any discounts). Will have to watch this closely since we have 4 Celebrity cruises booked--2 that we have confirmation (months and months ago) of the Stockholder credit, 1 that we knew we wouldn't get it because it was a future onboard booking and 1 that we have applied for the credit yet.

The shareholder credit is combinable with many discounted fares, but not others. The problem is that no one knows which are and aren't combinable because celebrity never tells us. Our experience, always booking discounted rates or group rates, based on asking for the stockholder OBC, is that we get the credit well over half the time. As I keep saying, if you own 100 or more shares of stock, request the credit for every cruise...let them determine if they'll give it to you.

We benefitted several times from the Shareholder’s OBC. Nov. 2013 we cruised on a B2B and received Shareholder’s credit for both cruises--it was wonderful!

However, after attending a Future Cruises presentation in Dec. on the Equinox, I understand that Celebrity will not combine Shareholder’s credit with ANYTHING from now on.

We have consequently sold our stock at a nice profit, and will take advantage of other offers to gain perks.

BTW Celebrity was always pretty prompt in acknowledging our request for Shareholder OBC, whereas Princess (Carnival) took a long time to respond.