I miss indoor cigar smoking...

macruisefan

One thing I DON'T miss is getting onto an elevator with a cigar smoker just out of the smoking lounge stinking to high heaven so bad I actually come close to hurling up my dinner. :mad:

I am a hairdresser, I have to watch someone smoke cigarettes or cigars outside my shop, then they stub them out and walk in to my shop and sit in my cutting chair..I then have to lean over their wretched stinking bodies, to cut their hair, all the time trying not to throw up all over them..

Smokers still don't get it..the actual smoke has long gone but the foul odour stays ,in their hair, on their clothes, and their foul bad breath is truly something else..:(:mad::eek:

Bringing up other offensive smells in a discussion on smoking is a good example of using subterfuge and diversion to steer attention away from a very real negative aspect of smoking. The obvious goal is to try to take the attention away from the unpleasantness of the smoking smell so to make it less of an issue. Such an attempt is easily recognized for what it is and doesn't fool anyone.

Actually not always true. I find the strong and overpowering smell of perfume just as bad. Some people are as sensitive and allergic to one and some to another or both. This argument doesn't hold water to me as there are negative aspects to both.

As an ex-smoker, I am a huge advocate for limiting or eliminating smoking areas as much as possible. And I applaud Celebrity in making the progress they have.

Having said that, I do enjoy cigars. One of the experiences I have most enjoyed on past cruises are cigar lounges. In particular the Churchill Lounge on the QM2, and even the cigar lounges on the RCI Freedom class ships. The open air bars where they allow smoking on most ships are nice, but far too often they are very VERY windy.

Overall, I get it, and I don't disagree with the trend. But I sure do miss sitting in a nice big comfy leather chair with a cigar and a cognac!

Most folks will probably agree that cigars stink...

I love a good smoking thread and to the elevator hurler, I'd love to see that. I'm all for smoking restrictions on a ship but you could spend hours in a well designed cigar lounge and NOT come out smelling like smoke. Those stinky people you refer to are chain smokers and/or closet smokers. Most of the time you wouldn't know a cigar smoker unless he/she was lighting up in front of you. That said, it's too bad but Celebrity will never do it.

Have to disagree. Smokers can't smell how bad they smell. I know from personal experience - I smoked for many years and not until I quit did I discover how awful I must have smelled from the smoke. I've also been at parties in cigar lounges and even though I did not smoke, I had to put my clothes in a bag (to take to the laundry) because they smelled so bad from the cigars.

First off, to the OP, I can understand your point, & it would make no difference to me if they dedicated an enclosed room to cigar smoking like they had with Michael's Club.

The reason that the smell of smoke on smokers' clothing is so offensive to many people is that in today's culture, smoking is so restricted that the odor stands out; whereas in years past, more (most) people smoked & did so wherever thay wanted to, so the smoke odor was so prevalant that it was not as noticeable.

Also, why are so many here so nasty lately?

Bringing up other offensive smells in a discussion on smoking is a good example of using subterfuge and diversion to steer attention away from a very real negative aspect of smoking. The obvious goal is to try to take the attention away from the unpleasantness of the smoking smell so to make it less of an issue. Such an attempt is easily recognized for what it is and doesn't fool anyone.

I disagree. I think the other odors were brought up more as a point of trying to regulate something that is impossible. They can restrict where people smoke, but unless they completely eliminate smoking altogether, it's going to be impossible to regulate how badly smokers may smell. I mean, I doubt any ship will say "You can smoke in the designated outdoor smoking areas, but you must wear a smoking jacket, hat and gloves. And upon returning inside, you must wash your hands and face thoroughly". So, as long as people are smoking somewhere, you're going to have to deal with the smell. Just like they're not about to ban perfume on board, or require people to wash clothes regularly or even shower.

The comparison is not subterfuge. Rather it is pointing out that there are some unpleasant aspects that are unavoidable. Furthermore, I think it is valid because my original post was about missing having a dedicated cigar lounge. There isn't one now, and people still complain (as is evidenced in this thread) about the smell of smokers. So if you think bringing up perfume or body odor is invalid in this thread, bringing up smokers bad odor is too...

I disagree. I think the other odors were brought up more as a point of trying to regulate something that is impossible. They can restrict where people smoke, but unless they completely eliminate smoking altogether, it's going to be impossible to regulate how badly smokers may smell. I mean, I doubt any ship will say "You can smoke in the designated outdoor smoking areas, but you must wear a smoking jacket, hat and gloves. And upon returning inside, you must wash your hands and face thoroughly". So, as long as people are smoking somewhere, you're going to have to deal with the smell. Just like they're not about to ban perfume on board, or require people to wash clothes regularly or even shower.

The comparison is not subterfuge. Rather it is pointing out that there are some unpleasant aspects that are unavoidable. Furthermore, I think it is valid because my original post was about missing having a dedicated cigar lounge. There isn't one now, and people still complain (as is evidenced in this thread) about the smell of smokers. So if you think bringing up perfume or body odor is invalid in this thread, bringing up smokers bad odor is too...

Your point was and continues to be valid and crystal clear. I'll miss the designated indoor area to have my evening smoke, watch a game and have good conversation. At least that has been my experience on past cruises.

Puffing under the stars while cruising the Med. won't be so bad either! :)

Happy cruising!

Kevin

If you had to bag your clothes then your obviously NOT going to a well designed cigar bar are you? :rolleyes:

If you believe your clothes don't smell after leaving a "well designed cigar bar", you are smoking something besides a cigar. You can't smell your clothes, but walk outside your "well designed bar" and ask someone at random if they smell smoke....or ask your spouse, if they will give you an honest answer.

I always enjoyed the cigar bar on the RCI ships. It was a bit odd frequently being the only woman in there, but whatever. I'm used to it. They are very well designed and unobtrusive and a nice retreat from the crowd.

I was sad to see Celebrity didn't make any accommodations for cigar smoking, but I'm luckily spending the week prior to our upcoming cruise in Tampa (my hometown) where I will no doubt enjoy many a fine stick. There's something very relaxing about kicking back with a stogie and a nice bourbon at the end of a day.

Oh, and my husband smokes cigars too.

Hi Everyone,

As this thread has spiraled downward, including off-topic posts, smoking debates, and bickering... it's safe to say it has run it's course, and is now closed.

Thanks for your understanding, and Happy Holidays !

Archived