Seasickness kids and adults?

Mamabelle

I would invest in sea bands, a non-medicinal alternative, best for kids.

You could also have dramamine or bonine (basically non-drowsy dramamine) just in case.

If they are nauseous, green apples, Sprite, crackers, looking at the horizon are common remedies.

First time cruising. How common is sea sickness for kids (6&9yo)?

What remedies or meds to bring just in case?

I have never heard of a kid getting seasick.

But, I am sure if you tell them all about it, tell them they look pale, ask them if they are feeling OK, you can help them get seasick.

My son age nine, got sea sick and the boy at our table age 11 also. If the child gets car sick they may get sea sick. I agree with above about the Sea Bands, I have used them for years, and my son used them too, sucessfully. But like anything, what works for some doesn't work for everyone. My brother uses Ginger, for kids you can get ginger sea sickness candies. I tease my brother that I will buy him "preggie pops". One big tip, don't get over hungry, that makes it worse.

But if your kids don't get car sick I wouldn't worry too much.

While it is not common in kids it does happen. If your child gets car sick there is a good chance they will get sea sick.

As to sea bands be aware they work for some people but not for all and even the manufacturer notes they only work for about half the people.

My recommendation is that for the kids you consult with their pediatrician and for you that you consult with your own physician.

Keith

Over the years (we have spent nearly 3 years on cruise ships) we have seen sea sick adults, children and even babies (very sad). We have heard all the usual comments about Seabands, ginger, etc...and have watched quite a few of these folks get very sick when it gets really rough. So perhaps the reasonable approach is to do what the cruise line doctors do (and many crew). The normal drug of choice is Meclizine Hcl (sold as Bonine, Dramamine II, or Antivert (this version is normally prescription)). You only need to take a single pill every 24 hours and the main side effect is feeling a bit sleepy (not a problem if you take it at bed time). Many ships sell Bonine in their shops and some even give it our free at Guest Relations. As to kids, you should always check with your physician...but many still use the basic dramamine (also available as a liquid) as there is some question about using Meclizine for kids. Some adults also like to use the so-called patches which are actually transderm Scopolomine (the ****s used this as a truth serum) which are pretty effective against sea sickness but can have some nasty side effects for many folks (a cruise ship doctor once told us of the elderly lady found wandering the corridors totally naked).

Bonine (this is a brand name) is available in most pharmacies over the counter. Some pharmacies will also sell you the generic "Meclizine" for a much lower prince if you ask.

By the way, the key to all of these drugs is that you need to use them before you get sick. Once you are sick they are not nearly as effective. The ships doctors can give you a shot if you get sick (some docs use Compazine)...but it can cost you up to $100.

Hank

I suggest ginger for both kids and adults.

1) Ginger is not a drug.

2) Ginger work even after you start to feel sick.

3) Ginger works for me.

4) Ginger is the only thing that worked on Mythbusters.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/health/21real.html?_r=0

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode43

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natural-Health/2007-09-01/Ginger-A-Natural-Remedy-for-Motion-Sickness.aspx

40-13108-X500.gif

My kid has never gotten seasick on the 7 cruises she's been on, but then she actually been on another cruise a few months before her birth, so maybe that helped. She can also read in a moving vehicle, which I've never been able to do, even as a kid. I bring along tons of ginger for cruises.

If you think your child may be susceptible, why not called the pediatrician's office and ask for recommendations.

I have three children. We always get sea sickness medication for my children from their doctor before a cruise because he says it isn't harmful and it is definitely useful if they need it. My oldest has only gotten sea sick once in her life and it was on a deep sea fishing trip, which happened to be the day I forced her to take sea sick medication from her doctor. Needless to say, she hasn't taken it since, and she also hasn't gotten sick since! My middle child is so/so. On particularly rough nights he has gotten queasy, but never sick. My youngest is a completely different story. He takes the medicine, and when he doesn't he is a WRECK.

If I were you I would bring either some sort of over the counter medicine safe for kids or a prescription pill from their pediatrician.

Yes of course check with the doc first. But all I have to add is we (wife and I) took Bonine our first cruise. Took it everyday and didn't find any side effects from it. We were nervous since it was our first time but have never taken it since. We still bring some "just in case" but neither of us have gotten sea sick.

I mention this only because I DO get car sick pretty often so I though I'd probably get seasick. So being sensitive in a car doesn't necessarily equate to a ship.

Good luck and enjoy the cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it totally depends on 1.) how rough the sea is, 2.) if you tell them about getting seasick (sometimes it's totally mental, if they expect it), 3.) how big the ship is (if it's a bigger ship, you shouldn't have as much motion), 4.) and where your cabin is on the ship (midship is best). I haven't seen this as much with 6 to 9 yr olds as much as 11 to 13 yr olds.

Remedies:

GINGER PILLS!! This is a 100% natural way that WILL SAVE YOUR CRUISE!! Just buy them at Walgreens or really any store, and have anyone who you think might get seasick take 2 in the morning, and 1 every 3 hours after that. It has worked better than ANYTHING for us, and we don't know what we would do without it! We even use it before we go to theme parks, and it is yet to let us down! Also, if you forget to take it, use the motion bands. They work well for awhile, but then they lose the effect, so it's best to stay on top of the ginger.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your cruise!

Archived