Seabourn Sojourn - nice ship, shame about the food

philipb

Thanks for your reply. I didn't think anybody was going to.

I know that my father and sister like Crystal. But their formal nights seemed a bit much for me and they used to charge for wine.

I'll try Seabourn first next year, and then maybe Crystal after that.

Crystal is now just as all-inclusive as Seabourn including just a tad better pouring wines imo. Crystal was no more formal than Seabourn. On Seabourn we had two formal nights and a couple of semi's.....same as Crystal 6 months ago. The tuxedo is vanishing as I saw many more dark suits than tuxedos.

I already know that I am going to get some resistance on my comments from die hard Seabourn fans. But the food we had on Crystal Serenity back in May on the wonderful Atlantic crossing was absolutely superb. Every day was an adventure when reading the dinner menu. Comments like, 'wow....can't wait to try that!' were common. Best Dover Sole I have ever had....and yes de-boned at the table. Oxtails with a mouth watering Cabernet sauce reduction was to die for. Sushi and sashimi was as good as any great Japanese restaurant on shore from Silk Road. The superb Prego offered spot on Italian cuisine. The once a cruise grand buffet put the garden galley buffet (or whatever they called it) to shame. It wasn't just a rehash of what you got daily from the Colonnade. In short I felt every venue was superior to Seabourn....again just my opinion

I know the downfall of Crystal is two seating dining. But we dine at 6-6:30pm at home, so what's the problem? The ships have around a 1000 passengers each...again a problem for some. I found them no more crowed and many more quiet spots than Seabourn. Another downside is you have to book Penthouse category to match the beautiful and spacious veranda cabins. That is where Seabourn shines. But price it out.....'the juice might be worth the squeeze!'

Hope this helps.

Well I guess this just shows that everyone has dfferent opinions and needs.

When we were on Crystal in August for 19 nights in the Mediterranean they had no Gala buffet at all. Apparently they are only doing these now on the less port intensive cruises. I found the food lovely in Silk road but very difficult to get extra reservations. The food in Prego and the main dining area for us had some good items but I felt especially in the main dining room that the food wasn't as good as I had enjoyed on Seabourn. We eat at home around 7.30 - 8pm so it was a problem for us especially as they kept changing the times of the show times from 10.30pm to 8pm which meant either attempt to change our dining time or miss the show.

With regards to quiet areas I think that depends on the time of year and the itinerary. As ours was a Summer Med cruise it was very busy and with lots of children, very noisy. Friends who sailed on her in late October didn't have that problem. Now they have advertised for children to sail free on Crystal during June and July in the Baltics and Med if you want quiet maybe avoid that time. I have always found quiet places on Seabourn but have yet to sail on her on really busy times so may have a similar issue if I did.

Funnily enough we weren't phased by the smaller room. We had a verandah but we thought it was well laid out and enough storage so that was never an issue.

Hope this helps.

Crystal is now just as all-inclusive as Seabourn including just a tad better pouring wines imo. Crystal was no more formal than Seabourn. On Seabourn we had two formal nights and a couple of semi's.....same as Crystal 6 months ago. The tuxedo is vanishing as I saw many more dark suits than tuxedos.

Enough already......surely you can find at least ten Seabourn versus Crystal threads on this website. Why not post on one and skip hijacking this thread? I'd like to post my thoughts of the two, but......

Well I guess this just shows that everyone has dfferent opinions and needs.

When we were on Crystal in August for 19 nights in the Mediterranean they had no Gala buffet at all. Apparently they are only doing these now on the less port intensive cruises. I found the food lovely in Silk road but very difficult to get extra reservations. The food in Prego and the main dining area for us had some good items but I felt especially in the main dining room that the food wasn't as good as I had enjoyed on Seabourn. We eat at home around 7.30 - 8pm so it was a problem for us especially as they kept changing the times of the show times from 10.30pm to 8pm which meant either attempt to change our dining time or miss the show.

With regards to quiet areas I think that depends on the time of year and the itinerary. As ours was a Summer Med cruise it was very busy and with lots of children, very noisy. Friends who sailed on her in late October didn't have that problem. Now they have advertised for children to sail free on Crystal during June and July in the Baltics and Med if you want quiet maybe avoid that time. I have always found quiet places on Seabourn but have yet to sail on her on really busy times so may have a similar issue if I did.

Funnily enough we weren't phased by the smaller room. We had a verandah but we thought it was well laid out and enough storage so that was never an issue.

Hope this helps.

I agree with oregon 50, you are on the wrong thread. Please stick to the subject of the thread.

As far as I'm concerned dining at 6 or 6:30 is a late lunch, not dinner. I don't do it at home and I won't do it on a cruise. I want to dine when I want with whom I want. Crystal's two seating plan is a deal breaker for me no matter how good their food might be (and that is completely subjective.) Their open dining by reservation is a joke which is meant to fool people into thinking they have an option when, in reality, you must book the time and number of people far in advance. I'm sure that some food items on Crystal are superior to Seabourn just as I'm sure the reverse is true. No one can please everyone. And the solution seems so simple. If you prefer Crystal's food enough to make it the reason to cruise with them their number is in the book or you can get it on Google.

• 2 months later...

Just back from Sydney having done the first two sectors of Silversea's World Cruise aboard Silver Whisper - 29 days. Everything was superb - the food, the service and good house wines too. No problems with provisioning - despite a potentially 'difficult' route which took us from Los Angeles via the Marquesas and Society Islands, so no real opportunity to re-stock until Auckland. Nothing ran out, and all round New Zealand we took on board wonderful fresh fish, fruit and vegetables as the excellent Executive Chef shopped in the local markets. The lunchtime buffets around the pool were spectacular. The experience was so different from the appalling food and service on Seabourn Sojourn last November. I can only suggest that a Hotel Manager from Seabourn travels as a 'mystery guest' aboard Silversea to see how things can be done properly. The trouble back in November was that the Hotel and Food & Beverage Managers knew they had a big problem but seemed powerless to fix it. I suspect a major part of the problem lies with the Holland America people in Seattle. There is no scope for the chef to purchase food locally - everything (including menus!) is controlled by those faceless people in Head Office! With the triplets being sold I can only see a bleak future for Seabourn. I think if they transferred the management to Cunard then there might be the prospect of some improvement in this damaged brand.

That's odd. On my cruise on the Pride the chef got off in ports and would bring back cases of local fruits, fish, vegetables and cheeses. There was even an excursion for shopping with the chef. It seems your Silversea and Seabourn experiences were juxtapositions of mine. It's also interesting that I don't see this kind of thread for the little sisters. Is that just numbers or is something else going on?

My experience was the same as baychilla's experience. A group of passengers went shopping with the chef on the Pride when we were in Corfu in November. I would highly recommend anyone who has an interest in food to sign up for the excursion. The food that was bought was served onboard and the chef decided his recipes depending upon what was available. It just goes to show that different ships within a cruise line can provide a different experience. Head office can't be blamed for everything.

My experience was the same as baychilla's experience. A group of passengers went shopping with the chef on the Pride when we were in Corfu in November. I would highly recommend anyone who has an interest in food to sign up for the excursion. The food that was bought was served onboard and the chef decided his recipes depending upon what was available. It just goes to show that different ships within a cruise line can provide a different experience. Head office can't be blamed for everything.

We did two 7 day back to backs in the Mediterranean on Odyssey and there were two 'shopping with the chef' excursions. We did one of them, in Kusadasi.

I also saw the chef out shopping on his own (i.e. not with guests) at the local market in Kotor.

Just sayin .....

Bottom line is every cruise line will have an off sailing here and there. There is currently a thread on the Silversea board entitled: Silver Shadow, Worst cruise Food I've ever had. So Philip B's experience on the Whisper is obviously not completely representative of that line.

We did shopping with the chef on our Dalmation Coast cruise in 2011 and went to the market and fish market. All he bought was a fairly large quantity of fresh sardines, but they never appeared on any of the menus - MDR or Colonnade!

I would still go again, though, it was unfortunate that this particular port / market was not great, some of the fish stalls were dire, with more flies than fish.

I can only suggest that a Hotel Manager from Seabourn travels as a 'mystery guest' aboard Silversea to see how things can be done properly. The trouble back in November was that the Hotel and Food & Beverage Managers knew they had a big problem but seemed powerless to fix it. I suspect a major part of the problem lies with the Holland America people in Seattle. There is no scope for the chef to purchase food locally - everything (including menus!) is controlled by those faceless people in Head Office! With the triplets being sold I can only see a bleak future for Seabourn. I think if they transferred the management to Cunard then there might be the prospect of some improvement in this damaged brand.

Prior to taking his job with SB, the hotel manager on your Sojourn trip was employed in same position with SS. He knows more about Silversea operations than anybody on your recent Whisper cruise.

We did two 7 day back to backs in the Mediterranean on Odyssey and there were two 'shopping with the chef' excursions. We did one of them, in Kusadasi. .....

Hi Roxburgh,

Was that cruise Eastern Med? We are doing Istanbul to Venice (14 days on the Odyssey) in Sept and wondered about the additional types of excursions/activities on a 14 day Med cruise. ( It is our first ever cruise.)

Go to Seabourn's website and under "already booked". After you log in you can look at the various excursions that are available for your cruise. For us one of the reasons why we love the Med cruises and have done so many on SB

( including our upcoming 20 day September Quest cruise) is that you really don't need to go on excursions . You can just hop off the ship and wander around charming Med port cities and towns taking in the ambiance and scenery.

We did shopping with the chef on our Dalmation Coast cruise in 2011 and went to the market and fish market. All he bought was a fairly large quantity of fresh sardines, but they never appeared on any of the menus - MDR or Colonnade!

I would still go again, though, it was unfortunate that this particular port / market was not great, some of the fish stalls were dire, with more flies than fish.

If the fish market you are referring to was in Catania we also went shopping with the chef there in 2009. It was a very interesting and unique experience, however I did not eat fish for the rest of the cruise. My husband and I also threw away the shoes we were wearing that day. They definitely do not respect the European standards regarding hygiene!

Hi Roxburgh,

Was that cruise Eastern Med? We are doing Istanbul to Venice (14 days on the Odyssey) in Sept and wondered about the additional types of excursions/activities on a 14 day Med cruise. ( It is our first ever cruise.)

It was Venice to Istanbul. excellent cruise!! We only did a couple of excursions ... one to Diocletian's Palace and the other to Delos. We did go to Kusadasi but as we had been to Ephesus the previous year we only went there for the Seabourn evening event. However, if you have not been to Ephesus in the last ten years then I recommend it.

Generally, we do not do a lot of excursions. We like to go ashore, wander about for a bit and then head back to the ship for a late lunch followed by lazing at the pool.

I did have a quick look at your itinerary and it is a bit different to ours so I will only comment on the ports I know.

However ...... Izmir will be good for Ephesus if that interests you.

Patmos is interesting for the Monastery of St. John. Well worth visiting but you do not need to buy a tour to do that. If you are feeling fit then you can walk up the hill (we did) on pedestrian footpaths or you can get a taxi. The little town is nice to walk around as well.

We did not get off the ship in Piraeus. Having been to Athens multiple times we decided that a restful day on board would be good. However, if you do want to see the sights then perhaps a tour would be a good way of doing it.

Gythion is a nice little town. Not touristy but not much there. I would look at the excursions on offer unless a lazy day is your thing.

Katakolon is where you go to visit ancient Olympia. I would recommend that excursion. We really enjoyed it and especially the museum. The town of Katakolon is not that interesting unless you want to buy touristy trinkets and jewelry.

As to the other ports, I don't really have any info. Perhaps others can help.

It was Venice to Istanbul. excellent cruise!!

Yes, we do it in reverse.

However, if you have not been to Ephesus in the last ten years then I recommend it.

We have never been so it will be a must for us.

Generally, we do not do a lot of excursions. We like to go ashore, wander about for a bit and then head back to the ship for a late lunch followed by lazing at the pool.

We are used to exploring ourselves when we travel, but would like to investigate the ship excursions. But don't want to miss out on time on the ship either as on this itinerary there are no sea days.

Thanks for the info on the other ports.

In Santorini, have you done the volcano tour? (we don't mind walking)

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

We spent 15 days in January 2013 on the Odyssey, our first big Seabourn ship experience after two trips on the little sisters. We found the food and service to be first rate and we especially enjoyed dining in intimate Restaurant 2. Too cold for the Patio grille and we only liked the verandah cafe for lunch, not dinner.

The wine pairings were good, lots of New Zealand Sauvignon blanc, one of our favorite varieties.

Chef Andrew explained the menus are directed centrally and I didn't see much local provisioning. Yes, the fish was frozen but it still was flavorful even though I never eat frozen fish at home.

The staff morale and service level was right at the top of our previous high end cruise experiences.

In fact, we enjoyed the experience so much we leave next week for a 16 day voyage on the same ship, only two months after;) our first experience.

We spent 15 days in January 2013 on the Odyssey, our first big Seabourn ship experience after two trips on the little sisters. We found the food and service to be first rate and we especially enjoyed dining in intimate Restaurant 2. Too cold for the Patio grille and we only liked the verandah cafe for lunch, not dinner.

The wine pairings were good, lots of New Zealand Sauvignon blanc, one of our favorite varieties.

Chef Andrew explained the menus are directed centrally and I didn't see much local provisioning. Yes, the fish was frozen but it still was flavorful even though I never eat frozen fish at home.

The staff morale and service level was right at the top of our previous high end cruise experiences.

In fact, we enjoyed the experience so much we leave next week for a 16 day voyage on the same ship, only two months after;) our first experience.

We leave in 19 days for our first cruise and seabourn experience on the Odessey.I know it will be good, but some reviews are scary! If frozen fish is all to worry about things are pretty good in life!

Archived