No steaks on Princess??

Murphey

What disappointed me most was wasting a menu spot every night on a burger. I guess I expect dining room food to be fancier. Go to the Lido if you want a burger.
Besides, you could always get a burger at dinner. It is on the kids menu that anyone can order off of.

I assume there is a difference between the 8-ounce sirloin burger and the burger on the kids' menu.
I've never ordered the hamburger from the children's menu but on the Island, it was a very well done (no other option) patty on a toasted bun with lettuce, onion and tomato. Not exactly special nor did it look very appetizing.

I've never ordered the hamburger from the children's menu but on the Island, it was a very well done (no other option) patty on a toasted bun with lettuce, onion and tomato. Not exactly special nor did it look very appetizing.

I interpret this to mean the appearance of the 8-ounce sirloin burger on the adult menu. Correct?

Just off the Emerald. Our first experience with the new menus and we ate most nights at the buffets which had more variety and interesting fare most nights. Worst menus we've seen on any mass market line in our 47 cruises. Just MHO.

My husband and I really want to try Princess, but it's disappointing to think the cutbacks in place on Carnival are also being seen on Princess. Makes me start thinking I need to look at Oceania or Regent.

Oceania and Regent are entirely different class of cruising. They are very expensive but you will most certainly get great food and service. Carnival, Princess, etc are not going to provide you with fine dining. Not when they are cooking for three thousand people lol. Its banquet level at best.

Still, Princess offers a much better value then Carnival IMHO. Especially since my last cruise with Princess was barely more then the CArnival VAlor on the same week. The food quality was about the same but the MDR was not as chaotic as on Carnival. Princess definitely has more staff, or more efficient anyway.

Give em a try. I liked Carnival but Princess was great and I do not regret booking it at all. Save yourself a few thousand and try princess before the other two lines.

No they have the bayou steak house which is even better one of the best meals I have ate in awhile. Great food great service well worth it.

Have to agree with you that the Bayou Steak restaurant. Ate there on the Coral twice and both times (different sailings) the meal was the best. We actually prefer it over the Crown Grill. Don't get me wrong the Crown Grill was good but the Bayou was fantastic!

Our family just got off the Sapphire's trip to Hawaii (review to come!) and saw tri-tip every night. My wife ordered it once and was unimpressed. We had medallions once, a New York on the last night, and prime rib twice. Once the prime rib was quite good, but once it was unimpressive.

What disappointed me most was wasting a menu spot every night on a burger. I guess I expect dining room food to be fancier. Go to the Lido if you want a burger.

Just off the Emerald. Our first experience with the new menus and we ate most nights at the buffets which had more variety and interesting fare most nights. Worst menus we've seen on any mass market line in our 47 cruises. Just MHO.
For the most part there were tweaks but not major changes with the new menus. There were usually less than 1/3 of menu items changed from the old menus. There is still the same variety as before with six rotating entrees almost every night in addition to the revised always available choices of salmon, chicken, burger and tri-tip. The burger is not really wasting a spot on the menu, but is an added item. It is true that the always available medallions of beef are gone and I know that is a loss to a number of posters. We had never ordered them on eight cruises with them as always available choices as we always found something else on the menu of more interest.

We are currently on the Sapphire Princess Christmas cruise. Tonight is the first formal night and beef tenderloin medallions are on the menu. :)
I wonder if that is replacing the filet mignon that was previously offered on a formal evening.
Bill, The beef entree for the first Formal Night has been Grilled Mediallions of Beef Tenderloin with Madeira-Truffle Demi-Glace since the last time menus were changed almost four years ago.

We just returned from our Sapphire Christmas cruise. My recollection of the steaks that were on the menu (other than trip tip) is as follows:

First Night: Prime Rib

2nd Night: Grilled Medallions of Beef Tenderloin (Formal Night)

4th Night: Grilled Medallions of Beef Tenderloin (this was on the special Christmas menu so probably not a regular item for this night)

6th Night: Beef Wellington (this would probably have been the other formal night but it was changed for Christmas)

7th Night: New York Strip Sirloin

My 11 year old DD is a steak lover. On the 3rd night she tried the tri-tip and didn't like it at all. I tried a bite and thought it tasted like spicy pot roast. DD used to love the trip tip at Claim Jumper. DD also tried a burger at lunch and didn't like it. I agree with those who think the burger is displacing a superior menu item, was always available anyway and is inferior to burgers at dozens of places I can think of. But overall there was plenty of steak available, IMHO.

It also goes to how the OP defines steaks. If defined properly, there really are not many steaks unless you go to Crown Grill.

Prime rib and beef wellington are cooked as "roasts". Beef tenderloins depending on how they cook them can be roasts or steaks. I forget how they cook them, usually tenderloins are roasts and are called filet mignon when cooked as steaks. I have had it both on Princess and haven't seen the new menu. For those who like steaks, roasts are not a substitute for steaks. Steaks for the best flavor are usually grilled and have a grilled flavor. A steak cooked in the oven isn't preferable if you like steak.

I think people are mixing up "beef" with "steaks". For example - a rib roast, when cooked as a roast is prime rib. When sliced cooked -hopefully grilled- individually are rib eye steaks. 2 entirely different types of food depending on how they cook it but still beef. They apparently still have the New York Strip Steak the last night which last time I tried, was of low quality.

Sounds like the waiter ran up to the Trident Grill and brought it down to the MDR. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy the Grill but if that's what they are serving in the MDR I may as well just stay in my bathing suit and eat on deck. Expensive steakhouse restaurants serve burgers but there are burgers and then there are burgers. The steakhouse restaurants ground up a better quality of beef than would be ground up for your average burger and it makes a big difference. From what you described I guess Princess doesn’t do this.

Sounds like the waiter ran up to the Trident Grill and brought it down to the MDR. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy the Grill but if that's what they are serving in the MDR I may as well just stay in my bathing suit and eat on deck. Expensive steakhouse restaurants serve burgers but there are burgers and then there are burgers. The steakhouse restaurants ground up a better quality of beef than would be ground up for your average burger and it makes a big difference. From what you described I guess Princess doesn’t do this.

On the Pacific Princess I ordered a burger for lunch one day in the MDR and it was very different from the Grill burgers. I ordered it rare and the waiter said they are not allowed to serve it rare. I had to sign a waiver to get it medium. I'm sure they are looking out for my well-being, but it was not as flavorful as the Grill's burgers.

I enjoy most of what I'm served on Princess. We cruise for the itineraries, not for the food, so I'm easy to satisfy. :)

Just returned from 7 day on the Crown Princess, and with the exception of one of our first meals, all the beef we had was really very tough! My mom tried but didn't eat the rest of her beef wellington... and my mom hates to leave anything on her plate!

I rarely cook beef, but like to eat it a few times on cruises. I was really surprised and disappointed it was so bad.

I thought this was just our bad luck - but I guess not!

Archived