Lsimon Finally Trys a Beverage Package

Lsimon

5) I like the idea of trying the wine bar - the self serve one where you swipe your Sea Pass

In the end, I priced out what I might expect to drink in a day (max) and at best, I broke even. Chances are I won't drink my "max" for 7 days straight, so it seems I am better off with my premium non-alcoholic package.

You can't use your seapass for the self-serve wines. You have to purchase a special card for that.

...What time does Café al Bacio open in the a.m.?

7AM on our last three cruises - although on the last morning they were open earlier than that.

You can't use your seapass for the self-serve wines. You have to purchase a special card for that.

This depends on the ship. I know that on the Constellation the machines work with a seapass. Don't know if any others work that way or not as we don't use the machines after some bad experiences with them.

I know that on the Constellation the machines work with a seapass. Don't know if any others work that way or not as we don't use the machines after some bad experiences with them.

Could you elaborate on the bad experiences with the machines? We're sailing Connie soon and want to try out Cellar Masters.

BTW, thanks for the great beverage review. Like you, we seem to steer clear of the premium alcohol package out of fear the choice of wines by the glass will be too limited. Appreciated your input, however, on the premium non-alcoholic package which we are considering. To run and get a specialty coffee at 7:30am and bring back to the cabin vs. getting fully dressed to attend the Elite breakfast is sounding pretty good....;)

Could you elaborate on the bad experiences with the machines? We're sailing Connie soon and want to try out Cellar Masters...

Here is a link to a post where I described our issue on another thread. <Click Here> Bottom line: The wine we tried tasted very stale compared to a bottle of the same we had the prior night.

But if you're interested then try it out. We might have just had bad luck.

Here is a link to a post where I described our issue on another thread. <Click Here> Bottom line: The wine we tried tasted very stale compared to a bottle of the same we had the prior night.

But if you're interested then try it out. We might have just had bad luck.

Thanks, and sorry about the stale Far Niente, which is normally a good vintner. We'll proceed with both caution and optimism!

Your candid views on the various beverage packages proves that "one size fits all" doesn't really exist. It boils down to what (and how) you drink while on vacation that determins whether a package is the way to go or not.

We had the pnap on our TA for the whole trip when it was 10% off, found it to be great

On the rain afternoons seating down to have a cap or tea was great or to get a sleep time tea before sleep

Getting a can of pop or water to take to room or shore was cool

They have a froze cap drink that was $6 that was to die for once we got some sun

I wish they would have a list with more zero proof drinks at the bars. As my amount of drink the hard stuff has decrease( we still had stuff left in the rum runners)

I will take a list of drinks to take on my next cruise

The guy in cellar master said you can use your sea pass but it may not always work

Take the riedel class and get a $20 wine card

Becio opened at 6 am on our TA

Also I would get caps at ocean view cafe in the morning

For those who wonder whether the selection of wines available by the glass is sufficient, this list (stolen from another post) shows all the wines that would have been covered by the premium beverage package at the time of posting (not sure what the actual availability or current pricing is, but it's an example at least). Frankly, if I ever get to the point where this list won't cut it for me, I'll be very proud of how distinguished my palate has become. :)

CHAMPAGNES & SPARKLING WINES

$ 7.00 – Fantinel, PROSECCO EXTRA BRUT, “Cuvee Prestige”, Italy

$ 9.00 – Domaine Chandon, BRUT, “Classic”, California, USA

$ 7.00 – Codorniu, CAVA BRUT, “Anna du Codorniu”, Spain

WHITE WINES

$ 12.00 – Conundrum, WHITE BLEND, California, USA

$ 7.00 – J&H Selbach, RIESLING, KABINETT, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Germany

$ 7.50 – Bollini, PINOT-GRIGIO, Trentino, Italy

$ 6.50 – Raimat, ALBARINO, “Castell de Raimat”, Costers Del Segre, Spain

$ 8.50 – Clifford Bay, SAUVIGNON BLANC, Marlborough, New Zealand

$ 6.00 – Jean-Luc Colombo, VIOGNIER, “La Violette”, Languedoc, France

$ 7.50 – Ken Forrester, CHENIN BLANC, Stellenbosch, South Africa

$ 9.00 – Anton Bauer, GRUNER VELTLINER, “Gmork”, Wagram, Austria

$ 11.00 – Michel Redde, POUILLY-FUME, “La Moynerier”, Loire, France

$ 6.50 – St Francis Vineyards, CHARDONNAY, Sonoma County, California, USA

$ 8.50 – Celebrity Cruises, CHARDONNAY, “Cellar Master”, California, USA

BLUSH / ROSE WINES

$ 5.50 – Beringer, WHITE ZINFANDEL, California, USA

$ 7.00 – Jean-Luc Colombo, ROSE, “Cape Bleue”, Cotes de Provence, France

$ 5.50 – Torres, ROSADO, Catalunya, “Sangre de Toro de Casta”, Catalonia, Spain

RED WINES

$ 8.50 – Kendall-Jackson, PINOT NOIR, “Vintner’s Reserve”, California, USA

$ 6.50 – Cune, TEMPRANILLO, Crianza, Rioja, Spain

$ 8.50 – Nozzole, CHIANTI CLASSICO, “Villa di Nozzole”, Tuscany, Italy

$ 7.50 – Rutherford Ranch, MERLOT, Napa Valley, California, USA

$ 7.00 – Montgras, CARMENERE, “Reserva”, Colchagua Valley, Chile

$ 8.50 – Celebrity Cruises, CABERNET SAUVIGNON, “Cellar Master” California, USA

$ 8.50 – Bodega Catena Zapata, MALBEC, “Catena”, Mendoza, Argentina

$ 12.00 – Dry Creek Vineyard, ZINFANDEL, “Old Vines”, Sonoma County, California, USA

$ 7.50 – Ross Estate, SHIRAZ, “Lights Out”, Barossa Valley, Australia

$ 10.00 – Yangarra Estate, GRENACHE, “Old Vines”, McLaren Vale, Australia

$ 10.00 – Chateau Castera, MEDOC CRU SUPERIEUR, Bordeaux, France

$ 7.00 – Wente Vineyards, CABERNET SAUVIGNON “Heritage Blend”, San Francisco Bay, California, USA

LATE HARVEST WINES (Lush & Silky)

$ 8.00 – Barton & Guestier, SAUTERNES, Bordeaux, France

$ 12.00 – Pacific Rim, RIESLING, “Vin de Glaciere, Selenium Vineyard”, Columbia Valley, Washington, USA

$ 10.00 – Oremus, Late Harvest, TOKAJI, Hungary

FORTIFIED WINES (Rich & Refined)

$ 9.50 – Chateau de Jau, MUSCAT DE RIVESALTES, Roussillon, France

$ 6.00 – Fonseca, LATE-BOTTLED VINTAGE PORT, Porto, Douro, Portugal

$ 7.00 – Taylor Fladgate, TAWNY PORT, Porto, “10 Year Old”, Douro, Portugal

For those who wonder whether the selection of wines available by the glass is sufficient, this list (stolen from another post) shows all the wines that would have been covered by the premium beverage package at the time of posting (not sure what the actual availability or current pricing is, but it's an example at least). Frankly, if I ever get to the point where this list won't cut it for me, I'll be very proud of how distinguished my palate has become. :)

Good point. Also on our Med cuise in November 2011, we were in Aqua Class and we asked the sommelier iin Blu to pair our wine with our dinner. She actually brought us some wines from the other specialty restaurants that weren't on the regular menu so we weren't limited to the regular menu options. Even with the port intensive cruise -- coffee in the morning, water for the shore excursions, tea or coffee when we got back, a glass of wine while dressing for dinner, a glass before dinner, a glass with each course, after dinner drinks..... Doesn't take very long to spend $50.

• 2 weeks later...

I read in another post that sometimes they ran out of the wines of the classic package in the dining room -- could this be true. I would really want the wine options while dining. I cannot imagine they would just be able to say there are no classic beverage package wines available at dinner. The post mentioned that others complained about it but couldn't find any other references to this so thought I would ask here.

I am considering the P.N.A.P. I drink coffee but not espresso. What is so special about the tea that they charge extra for it? I am trying to get away from drinking carbonated soft drinks and would prefer to drink juice and water. Is the juice bottled or free poured? Can you take water with you in port in the Caribbean? On Princess they sell water as you disembark the ship in port so I am assuming that you can.

I read in another post that sometimes they ran out of the wines of the classic package in the dining room -- could this be true. I would really want the wine options while dining. I cannot imagine they would just be able to say there are no classic beverage package wines available at dinner. The post mentioned that others complained about it but couldn't find any other references to this so thought I would ask here.

I read that as well and from what I gathered the passengers were forced to purchase the premium wine and had to pay the difference in price.

I am considering the P.N.A.P. I drink coffee but not espresso. What is so special about the tea that they charge extra for it? I am trying to get away from drinking carbonated soft drinks and would prefer to drink juice and water. Is the juice bottled or free poured? Can you take water with you in port in the Caribbean? On Princess they sell water as you disembark the ship in port so I am assuming that you can.

We had that package on a TA, yes you can pick up bottles of water as you get off, or pick up drinks at any bar

At the pool bar they can make you all the frozen drinks without alocohic

A lot of the teas are herbal teas that they have

You have try an Igula ice coffee drink, $6

The free coffee is not the best on ship, not as good as RCCL , get a Americo with a double shot of espresso to make it stronger, I would also get a double shot in my caps and lattes

CC should make a sticky for drink packages

The coffee they serve at the coffee bar are all espresso based. If you don't like these, including variations such as latte, Americano, etc, they they'll have no coffee for you and your only coffee choice on board will be the very poor quality brewed coffee served in the dining areas and room service.

The premium tea sold in the cafe is a high quality whole leaf tea in silk brewing bags. They serve the hot tea in a very nice good sized china pot there with the tea bag brewing in water that is at full boiling temperature. The iced tea is the same premium whole leaf tea bags in a special brewing pot for ice tea. The brand is Tea Forte (http://www.teaforte.com). They also have a good selection of basic quality tea bags, including herbal teas, for no extra charge at the buffet and dining areas as well.

Yes, you can take bottled water purchased with the package off the ship including water bought at the gangway.

I read that as well and from what I gathered the passengers were forced to purchase the premium wine and had to pay the difference in price.

Our adult son had the premium alcohol package and drank champagne every night with dinner. On our last night they ran out of the one he had been drinking and they substituted a more expensive bottle at no extra charge. Also, we had no problem with our wine glass being empty on the package. On nights that he was extra busy he would just leave the bottle on the table. After he was used to how we ordered he was there right away with our wine, before we could even ask! Kim

We love sitting at the coffee bar in M class ships enjoying the coffees with our PNAP packages. We have found that the staff we have met at this "bar" are some of the nicest on the ship, plus the munchies there are great. Also nice to sit in one of the chairs close to the windows and read or enjoy the music presentations which take place in this area.

We always get this package as it is just so convenient. We drink a lot of coffee drinks and always get bottled water for shore trips, plus I like a few sodas during the day. Does it save us money? I'm not sure as I have never taken the trouble to do the math, but I would bet we are close to breaking even and the convenience and no sticker shock at the end of the cruise is worth any premium we might be paying.

Happy New Year to all.

Thank you for this thread. After a long time away from Celebrity (many Royal Caribbean cruises since our last Celebrity cruise) we are booked on the Solstice from Hawaii to Australia in the fall. The beverage packages are new since our last Celebrity cruise, so I had lots of questions, and I think this thread answered them all.

The alcohol package doesn't appeal to either of us...we are Elite, so we will do most of our drinking pre-dinner in the Elite Lounge. Other than that we are light drinkers, with my husband ordering a bottle of wine on occasion at dinner (I don't drink wine at all) and me having a martini on occasion at dinner.

But, the non-alcohol package sounds right up my alley. I love espresso drinks, and I don't have to be coaxed out of bed to go get one or two! I am seriously addicted to Diet Coke (I know, a terrible habit...but probably my worse one. ;)) And though I am not afraid of the ship's tap water, the choice to have all the bottled water I want would make me very happy (I drink a ton of water). Though I am not a big fresh squeezed OJ person (not enough to pay for it) I might even like a glass of that every day.

So, thanks again for your experience and for all the others who have given such great information.

• 1 month later...

Are you able to use your beverage pkg on the final morning of the cruise? I read somewhere else that the coffee shop was cash only on the last day. I understand the need for that with the non package holders because they have to settle the final sea pass accounts but since there is no additional charge for package holders can they still get a specialty coffee or fresh juice before departure?

Are you able to use your beverage pkg on the final morning of the cruise? I read somewhere else that the coffee shop was cash only on the last day. I understand the need for that with the non package holders because they have to settle the final sea pass accounts but since there is no additional charge for package holders can they still get a specialty coffee or fresh juice before departure?

On the final day in Fort lauderdale , we got coffee at the cafe Baco(SP) using our seapass, we did have a package

• 2 weeks later...
The Celebrity FAQ says: "It can be purchased on board up until there are two nights left in the cruise and must be purchased for the remainder of the voyage."

I don't know if that means that you can buy it on the day when there are only two nights remaining (i.e. Thursday for a cruise that disembarks on a Saturday) or if the last chance would have been the day before that.

This is good information, although I agree that it's not 100% clear whether you can purchase on Thursday for a cruise that ends on Saturday, or if you would have had to purchase on Wednesday. I would think Thursday, but you never know with these things - I think they purposely word their FAQs ambiguously to leave themselves some wiggle room. I may find out next January - our cruise on Reflection has two sea days at the end, and I think my husband will definitely get his money's worth on sea days, especially with the new beer selection in Michael's. Who knows, maybe I'll get my money's worth too! :D

Also we drink large quantities of bottled water on the ship for reasons discussed in many past threads. (If you’d like to know more about our concerns over ship’s tap water then please take a look at the following thread rather than getting off point on this thread: click here for link).

I would actually like to know more about this, and don't want to derail the conversation, but I wasn't able to find a link anywhere in there?

Thanks for the info on the water onboard. I also have been driven nuts by swollen feet, etc., on many previous cruises, trying to fix the problem by drinking more and more water and probably (based on what you posted) exacerbating the problem. I had read much conflicting information on the ship's water/sodium content, so it's nice to have the definitive answer that there IS additional sodium!

On our last cruise we tried the Premium package and I had zero issues with feet and hands because we drank bottled water. That alone is enough to sell me on the packages, but will share that we really enjoyed everything about the premium package. We had no service issues and really enjoyed all aspects of it from service to range of choices. Being meticulous, my husband kept receipts because he wanted to see how it balanced out financially. We got more than our money's worth! Did we drink more than usual? Yes, primarily my husband, who enjoyed more wine than usual and port after dinner, etc. However, the value for me was in the Martini Bar, the bottled water and the coffee.

We thoroughly enjoyed Cafe al Bacio in the morning and in the afternoons. We also previously used Via as a way to circumvent the appalling coffee on board, so I was a happy camper to have as much access as I wanted to the significantly better coffee. Without the package it really adds up. I believe I am correct that one coffee is $4.50, so by the time we had two cups each to start the day we were already at $18 and it wasn't even 9 a.m.!

At home my husband usually drinks coffee so weak you have to help it out of the cup, but he also really enjoyed the coffee at the Cafe. We have the premium package on our next two cruises, and I'm really looking forward to enjoying them. The next one is to Alaska and I think we'll enjoy the hot drinks even more than on our last cruise.

Glad you enjoyed your beverage package investment!

Archived