Alaska vs. Norway

teacherman

We have been to Alaska on 2 cruises that both had great weather. We have cruised in Tracy Arm fjord (it was beautiful). We also rented a car in Skagway and drove over the mountains and into the Klondike during September. (It was beautiful). We have hiked to Mendenhall Glacier (it was beautiful). Is a Norway cruise going to be that much different from Alaska, in terms of scenery and experiences?I would hate to spend that much money (airfare is ridiculous) and then feel maybe I should have done something different. Advice from those who have done both is welcome. Thank you.

PS-We have also done a Baltic cruise and several in the Med.

We have been to Alaska on 2 cruises that both had great weather. We have cruised in Tracy Arm fjord (it was beautiful). We also rented a car in Skagway and drove over the mountains and into the Klondike during September. (It was beautiful). We have hiked to Mendenhall Glacier (it was beautiful). Is a Norway cruise going to be that much different from Alaska, in terms of scenery and experiences?I would hate to spend that much money (airfare is ridiculous) and then feel maybe I should have done something different. Advice from those who have done both is welcome. Thank you. PS-We have also done a Baltic cruise and several in the Med.

On another question on this Northern Europe board, I gave you some added info on your many excellent options on the Norway coast, the fjords, going to the North Cape, etc.

We have not yet been to Alaska, BUT, based both what we saw and did in Norway, plus what most others have shared and told us, you can get "closer" to things in the fjords and Norway. There is huge beauty in Alaska, but you are seeing it more at a distance. In Norway, however, you can get more up close and "personal" to the sites, action, etc. Below are some of my items of "photo evidence" to prove it.

Reactions and questions??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 88,918 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 112,787 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. My sense of comparison is that Bergen has a wider range of history, architecture, culture than most all of the places and towns in Alaska.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

Arriving at Flam, the Captain is right there directing this process. Below are more pictures and highlights from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views. This includes a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordsDockedFlam.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

From the portside control area, here is the view as our ship sailed up this narrow 300’ wide passage in the Trollfjord as a part of the Lofoton Islands. :

TrollfjordShipControl.jpg

We did Norway before we cruised Alaska, so I had similar concerns and was worried that Alaska might be disappointing. They're actually incredibly different. My overall opinion was that Alaska was blue, and Norway was green if that makes any sense. Norway doesn't have the impressive tidewater glaciers that you see in Alaska, but it has the dramatically steep fjords where you're sailing so close to shore its hard to believe. In Alaska, you're looking for wildlife, but Norway is more remote farm country, so there are fewer wild animals. The towns in Norway make the small port towns like Skagway seem like booming metropolises.

Cruising Norway is more about enjoying the fjord scenery and exploring a bit of Norwegian culture and history.

The specifics depend a lot on the itinerary, as farther north in the Arctic you'll have much different experiences than you will in the southern fjords. Also, the bigger cities like Bergen and Stavanger offer much different options to places like Flåm and Geiranger.

We love Alaska and have sailed it many times.

Norway is also very special. The little towns are very nice and you will see another part of the world and many areas are very pristine.

Yes, a cruise of Norway is very special and will have a look and feel that is different then Alaska and as you know an Alaska cruise is also very special. I would recommend a cruise of Norway.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

We have done Alaska and Norway and as everyone has already said, they are very different, if we wanted to repeat one of these cruises,we would go back to Norway again. Hard to explain why, Norway is 'closer' to the ship, not so vast and not so 'blue' but is prettier,with lovely little villages and amazing landscapes, would highly recommend Norway.

• 1 month later...

We've done both, and they are entirely different. You will find much more culture and history along with gorgeous views in Norway than you would in Alaska. But only you can decide if you would enjoy a trip to Europe. It takes longer to get to Europe, airfare is usually higher, but for us the history, different cultures, and scenery are both more than worth it. I'd go to Alaska again, but I'd prefer to go to see more places in Europe that I haven't visited yet.

Archived