The Tipping Point.

mr green

Up until now I/we have enjoyed cruising with Princess, in spite of the odd cut back.

Since May however, it is very sad to read so many negative posts about a cruise line that I/we used to enjoy. It has got to the point where I can no longer back Princess when a poster asks 'Why should I change to Princess?', or questions of a similar vain.

Princess now has to prove to me that the line can still provide an enjoyable holiday, the way that it used to. While I understand that all lines are cutting back, as far as I am concerned Princess is also cutting its own throat, and for myself it has reached the 'Tipping Point'.

It hurts me to write this.

john

Up until now I/we have enjoyed cruising with Princess, in spite of the odd cut back.

Since May however, it is very sad to read so many negative posts about a cruise line that I/we used to enjoy. It has got to the point where I can no longer back Princess when a poster asks 'Why should I change to Princess?', or questions of a similar vain.

Princess now has to prove to me that the line can still provide an enjoyable holiday, the way that it used to. While I understand that all lines are cutting back, as far as I am concerned Princess is also cutting its own throat, and for myself it has reached the 'Tipping Point'.

john

Sorry you feel this way, especially if you base your decision only "negative posts". So many people seem to write to complain but rarely post about good things. Others will complain about any change regardless of what the change as change can be uncomfortable.

First-hand information is always best.

A study years ago for the restaurant industry determined that customers who had a less than positive experience told an average of eight people while those who had an enjoyable experience told just one person. I would suggest that same ratio might apply to cruises, hotels, airlines, etc.

Take rants and raves here and elsewhere with a grain of salt. Make determinations based on your personal experience.

Has Princess cut back over the years? Sure...but they have also kept their cruise fares competitive. The cutbacks, although disappointing at times, have not diminished our cruising experience.

Lew

Wait until the MV Nickle and Dime ( sorry Royal Princess ) starts sailing next year and then you will hear the complaints. I am Elite on princess and still enjoy there product but without a big up spend, who do you sail with

Two observations.

First, if you based all your decisions on negative reviews you would never do anything. Pick any cruise line and I can show you plenty of negative reviews.

Pick almost anything on earth and you will find negative reviews.

Second, We took our first cruise this year. It was on Princess. I though it was one of the most wonderful experiences I ever had.

I keep reading about all of the painful cutbacks, but I can't imagine what it must have been like in the "good old days" when you were "really" pampered.

Despite all that hardship we had to endure:rolleyes: I booked yet two more cruises on Princess.

It does get tiresome, doesn't it; all of this nitpicking and wailing because the promised pony never materialized!

What will it take to satisfy those whom cannot be satisfied? Perhaps Seabourne or another line from the next tier up?

I won't comment on basing a decision on what is read on these boards but I do have a feeling that many of the most negative posts may stem from the very folks that choose a cruise based on a >5% cost factor.

Personally, I go cruises for the vacation - what a concept! Certainly as we know, stuff happens. But for our estimation, all are good, some are better.

I base my opinions on frist had experience. We have sailed with Princess for almost 20 years and still find the product to our liking. I think if you are constantly on Cruise Critic you are going to find that most posts are very negative and sooner or later you are going to feel the same way. It's always good to try new cruise lines. We do and have a great time comparing and sooner or later always come back to Princess. Yes things have changed over the years. Yes I do miss some things but they are not a deal breaker with us. Love the ships, have never gone hungry and most important it's about the ports. I'm thankful we can still travel and make new friends.

I am very excited to be leaving on the Sapphire this Saturday. I am an Elite member on Princess. I have also taken many cruises on other lines. I am looking forward to seeing the "cutbacks" and how they will affect my vacation experience. I am extremely easy to please, especially on a cruise. I will report back my own experiences and feelings.

:p In April we sailed with family and friends, again, out of San Francisco and had a great time. In late October my husband and I boarded the Emerald in Quebec for a cruise to Ft. Lauderdale to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary.

On each and every cruise we have been on with Princess, the ocean lulls us; the scenery and ports excite us and the crew and the ships spoil us.

Go ahead and leave Princess behind...but it'll be your loss.

Well, I can get a cabin for about the same price as 15 - 20 years ago plus have a balcony. And the ships today have more amenities then ever. Yes, I pay for a couple of add-on restautants and a few things but that is my choice. Go to a land based resort and take a look at your "resort fee" that they add every day and then pay out the wazoo for food.

I appreciate that all cruise lines (not just Princess) have chosen to keep their pricing as consistent as possible. The only way to do this is to reduce their operating costs, and make cutbacks. Just like us, Princess and the other cruise companies are experiencing increases to their operating costs every year, whether it's in the area of food, fuel, port fees, embarking and disembarking services, entertainment, alcohol, basically everything. They have found ways to maintain the enjoyment of cruising while keeping their costs low. I for one would actually like to see more fee-based activities and such to keep the basic costs of cruising down. I don't mind paying extra for specialty dining dining or other extras.

People always talk about how much Cruising has changed; how it's just not the same. I guess I feel different; I still love it and feel it is the best vacation bargain out there. In my opinion, Cruising hasn't changed - People have changed. We expect more for less, and whine when we don't get it.

OK, enough of rant, but I had to comment!

Happy Cruising and Happy Holidays everyone!:)

Gary

Well, I can get a cabin for about the same price as 15 - 20 years ago plus have a balcony. And the ships today have more amenities then ever. Yes, I pay for a couple of add-on restautants and a few things but that is my choice. Go to a land based resort and take a look at your "resort fee" that they add every day and then pay out the wazoo for food.

Yes, it is certainly your choice of course to pay for the many extras these days on most lines that used to be free, including brewed coffee, fitness classes, specialty dining at your choice of venues; but there are MANY high quality all inclusive resorts out there that provide an excellent value and offer wonderful food at a choice of restaurants, top shelf drinks, nice wines, good entertainment, included gratuities, lots of activities, large and luxurious rooms and excellent service. And some of the best are adult only which we totally enjoy.

These resorts are always our first choice these days for an island vacation as the overall value is exceptional.

In almost 23 years of cruising the only small thing I miss is when they would come to your table and cook something for you.No biggie.Other than that,I love cruising as much now as I always did.I don't really like the idea of speciality restaurants and paying extra for that.It should be included (hidden) in the cost like they do on island stays that are all inclusive.(even the alcohol).If massive chain hotels can and do it,why don't cruise lines.I bet they would be even more popular.:)The food is still much better than I eat at home!!!

I recently gave Princess what I consider to be the ultimate test. My wife and I took a 28-day long cruise with 19 at-sea days. If ever there was to be time for boredom or dissatisfaction to set in, this was it. We have absolutely no complaint about the Sapphire Princess or her crew. The food and service were great as was the entertainment and activities.

The only negative memories we have were caused by the passengers.

I still can't understand why some people try to get on an elevator as soon as the doors open and won't step aside long enough to let people get off. Then there was the evil man in a scooter who delighted in running people over.

john

john

I will let you in on a little secret that will cure this problem.

It is called the "ignore feature". You can identify the handful of posters who are constantly negative and use this feature on CC to eliminate their posts from your view.

VOILA !!!!! Instant sunshine !!!!!!

...While I understand that all lines are cutting back, as far as I am concerned Princess is also cutting its own throat, and for myself it has reached the 'Tipping Point'.

It hurts me to write this. john

The age old expression of What you see is what you get certainly applies here. The cheering stands are full of those who have accumulated the perks to prevent them from going elsewhere. So what insentive does Princress have to revert or improve? Perhaps when the bottom line begins to hurt they may take a different view but as they continue to cut and cut the bottom line has remained healthy.

john

You are basing your decision on negative reviews? Why don't you take a cruise on Princess, keep an open mind, and decide for yourself? I take negative reviews with a grain of salt. I make my own decisions and am totally happy with Princess. Of course, it could also be that I am an easy traveler who is NOT looking for things to complain about. I don't care about minor things and to spend a cruise looking for trouble is just not the way I do things.

I have only three Princess cruises under my belt (in the past 16 months) with the Ruby coming up in twentysomething days and If it used to be better than it is now then I am sorry I missed that!

However, I am happy with the Princess product and will book the Ruby for the Med later this year when I have some FCCs.

If they have to make cutbacks I understand- they have fixed costs and fuel costs that fluctuate wildly yet they don't charge us extra for that (currently)

I like sailing in suites and this next cruise I'll have to pay for Internet. Oh well-maybe I don't need as much of it and if I do then I'll pay for it.

I am happy (for myself) when I hear people say they are quitting Princess but dismayed at the petulant foot-stomping which some adults adopt when Princess makes a cut-back to continue making the business profitable. There's nothing wrong with wanting to make a profit-this is America after all. We'd all like more money in our pocket-at least Princess, through their staff, work really hard to give us value for money and a great cruise experience- for a price that is comparable to cruising of yesteryear (mid 80s in my case)

Cherries jubilee at the table was fun and exciting, I'll agree, as was the midnight buffet but I don't live in the past and what we have today, on Princess, is a pretty memorable vacation at an affordable price. There are many other choices if you disagree.

Norris

in Chicago

To the OP:

Yes, there IS a "tipping point" and I think we have reached ours with Princess. While I wouldn't say "never", I can honestly say that our recent Princess sailing left us questioning whether we'd sail with them again. While I do like their service and itineraries, we're just not into loud MUTS during the day, uncomfortable beds, poor coffee, and limited food/wine menus. :(

I recently gave Princess what I consider to be the ultimate test. My wife and I took a 28-day long cruise with 19 at-sea days. If ever there was to be time for boredom or dissatisfaction to set in, this was it. We have absolutely no complaint about the Sapphire Princess or her crew. The food and service were great as was the entertainment and activities.

The only negative memories we have were caused by the passengers.

I still can't understand why some people try to get on an elevator as soon as the doors open and won't step aside long enough to let people get off. Then there was the evil man in a scooter who delighted in running people over.

I too was on that cruise and had similar issues with an abnormally high number of rude passengers but absolutely enjoyed the ship, staff, itinerary, food and activities. Becoming a shellback was fun although probably not as difficult as it was for you!

While I understand that all lines are cutting back, as far as I am concerned Princess is also cutting its own throat, and for myself it has reached the 'Tipping Point'.

john

it would be nice to know what your "tipping point" was...

Archived