Child falls from cruise ship

ceetee

You mean a leash like a dog?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. As I noted previously, I worn one over sixty years ago. Unlike my older sibling, I was a wanderer who slipped away very quickly. They now make adorable ones attached to backpacks that look like stuffed animals. Sure keeps the kids safe, especially in crowds.

I think we should all perhaps stop jumping to conclusions. Do we not remember ever so recently the lady who was involved in the medivac who was accused of riding the zip wire?

We don't know what happened with the toddler, and we may never know. But imagine what the father must be thinking if he reads this??

Thankfully the baby is fine, that's all we need to know!

I think we should all perhaps stop jumping to conclusions. Do we not remember ever so recently the lady who was involved in the medivac who was accused of riding the zip wire?

We don't know what happened with the toddler, and we may never know. But imagine what the father must be thinking if he reads this??

Thankfully the baby is fine, that's all we need to know!

This is wonderful news to learn the child is being released and will be alright.

Oh, how true. It amazes me how perfect some people think they are sitting behind the computer. Accidents happen in a flash, that's what accidents are. They can happen in a parent's view, it doesn't mean they were not being watched. Kids can be fast and all the watching can't stop everything.

I had one of those fast toddlers and we either had him in siight, in his playpen, or in a gated area at all times. When we brought him on the Grandeur we made sure balcony door was locked and when on deck had him by the hand are well away from rails (or carried.)

Personally I think dad dropped the ball.

But no one's perfect, I'm sure I may have lost sight for a few seconds at times.

I personally think ALL of us should stop criticizing the father of the child and CELEBRATE the fact the child is apparently going to be fine. I'm sure the dad feels bad enough as it is.

We should be kind to our fellow man always but even more during this Christmas season. It's time to celebrate the Father and Son, not bash the dad.

Tim

Yes. As I noted previously, I worn one over sixty years ago. Unlike my older sibling, I was a wanderer who slipped away very quickly. They now make adorable ones attached to backpacks that look like stuffed animals. Sure keeps the kids safe, especially in crowds.

had to re read that-- thought it said you wore one for over 60 years-- that would have been some kind of record.

I personally think ALL of us should stop criticizing the father of the child and CELEBRATE the fact the child is apparently going to be fine. I'm sure the dad feels bad enough as it is.

We should be kind to our fellow man always but even more during this Christmas season. It's time to celebrate the Father and Son, not bash the dad.

Tim

arrest the father for negligence. Maybe mom to for leaving the father in charge---- now there's the problem-- DAD.

FYI when you have small kids--- do you really keep them ABOVE the pool -- aren't there enough chairs pool level so little johnny or Susie don't fall-- through the railing or worse down stairs.

When will I ever learn not to be surprised at all the perfect people who inhabit message boards? :o

If even half the population was as perfect as our friends on the boards there would be so many fewer evergency rooms, almost no one in a cast and never a sprained ankle or broken bone. If I were as perfect as the people I read on the boards I would have no dings in my car, I would not have received a speeding ticket last year and I would not need to make New Year resolutions because how can you improve on perfect?

Sorry the little one was injured. I am sure the parents feel awful and it will be a lonnngg time before the little one is turned loose again.

When will I ever learn not to be surprised at all the perfect people who inhabit message boards? :o

If even half the population was as perfect as our friends on the boards there would be so many fewer evergency rooms, almost no one in a cast and never a sprained ankle or broken bone. If I were as perfect as the people I read on the boards I would have no dings in my car, I would not have received a speeding ticket last year and I would not need to make New Year resolutions because how can you improve on perfect?

Sorry the little one was injured. I am sure the parents feel awful and it will be a lonnngg time before the little one is turned loose again.

LOL - In my rant on perfection I misspelled "emergency". :D

Just got off the Monarch. About an 1 1/2 after we left Port Canaveral we were told there was a medical emergency and the ship would be returning to Port. We weren't old anything else at that time. The Captain explained over the speaker that RCL top concern is for guest safety and he would've turned back for any of us, if needed.

The next day, by the pool the cruise director told us that a 1 year old baby fell through the rails from one deck to the floor below and he was pointing up in in the pool area. toward deck 12 while explaining. He said the dad had turned away for a second and it happened, he said it could've happened to anyone. He then told us the baby was flown to Arnold Palmer, but that he suffered NO serious injury and it was a true miracle. We were standing at the deck 12 railing over looking at the time and looked down and wow, that is a far drop! It was a miracle! Everyone cheered and clapped.

The Captain made up time that night and we arrived in Nassau only about an hour or so late.

BTW we loved the Monarch and had a great time!

Just got off the Monarch. About an 1 1/2 after we left Port Canaveral we were told there was a medical emergency and the ship would be returning to Port. We weren't old anything else at that time. The Captain explained over the speaker that RCL top concern is for guest safety and he would've turned back for any of us, if needed.

The next day, by the pool the cruise director told us that a 1 year old baby fell through the rails from one deck to the floor below and he was pointing up in in the pool area. toward deck 12 while explaining. He said the dad had turned away for a second and it happened, he said it could've happened to anyone. He then told us the baby was flown to Arnold Palmer, but that he suffered NO serious injury and it was a true miracle. We were standing at the deck 12 railing over looking at the time and looked down and wow, that is a far drop! It was a miracle! Everyone cheered and clapped.

The Captain made up time that night and we arrived in Nassau only about an hour or so late.

BTW we loved the Monarch and had a great time!

Thank you for this first-hand account!

arrest the father for negligence. Maybe mom to for leaving the father in charge---- now there's the problem-- DAD.

FYI when you have small kids--- do you really keep them ABOVE the pool -- aren't there enough chairs pool level so little johnny or Susie don't fall-- through the railing or worse down stairs.

Please tell me this post is a joke?

I expect to see all the cruise ships stringing up orange netting until they can upgrade all their railings.

And I would expect the odds of this happening are somewhere between zero percent and one percent. Actually, a lot closer to zero percent.

First, such a blessing that the child will be OK. Worked 28 yrs in critical care/ER medicine. Things could have been much worse.

Second, wise choice to return and not ty to air lift, alot of time getting flight crew for ship rescue. Ship medical staff managed the child until able to transfer.

Third, accidents are just that...accidents. They can happen in a blink and everyone pays the price. I cannot imagine what the parents and their families are dealing with.

Fourth, the ships are not forced to be built to US code. Just as the ports of calls are not forced to have US code in place.

We all need to be watchful no matter where we are of our surroundings not only to prevent out own injury but to possibly prevent that of someone near by.

On EOS last week a lady in her 70s fell in Nassau and a gentleman literally caught her as she was falling. He prevented a nasty accident. She was ever so thankful and only had some scraps on her left lower leg. She said he was her "knight in shining armor". Kindness can do so much...

I think the orange netting remark was a joke.

Wasn't meant to be. Being in the architecture/engineering business, railings are a big Code deal. I observed a Disney ship parked next to us once and all the railings also had plexiglass panel inserts. The typical standard is 4" between spindles on a railing. It seems to me from the picture posted earlier that the horizontal bars are wider than 4" on center.

I therefore expect a reaction to the coming lawsuit. It shows how dumb the general public can be when they have to post signage on the railing to say "Don't sit on the railings".

It does read better as a joke.

However, good architects have large imaginations -- not necessarily a lot of real world common sense. In fact, I suspect too grounded in the real world is probably a disadvantage for a very good architect.

I stand by my estimate of an infinitesimal likelihood that we are suddenly going to see a lot of orange netting!:cool:

You mean a leash like a dog?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, you wouldn't see a leashed dog falling through a railing and down a deck on his face, right? So I guess yes, leashed like a dog. We wore them at the zoo because there were 4 of us and we were fast and adventurous. I don't recall feeling demeaned as a baby or toddler because I was safe. :rolleyes:

Well, you wouldn't see a leashed dog falling through a railing and down a deck on his face, right? :rolleyes:

Tell that to neighbors whose leashed dog got through the railing on their deck while they were away from home.They returned to find him dead, hanging by his collar.

Accidents are just that and they can happen to even the most aware and conscientious people. Remember that hindsight is almost always twenty-twenty and it is best not to judge or condemn others for what was likely a tragic accident.

Tell that to neighbors whose leashed dog got through the railing on their deck while they were away from home.They returned to find him dead, hanging by his collar.

Accidents are just that and they can happen to even the most aware and conscientious people. Remember that hindsight is almost always twenty-twenty and it is best not to judge or condemn others for what was likely a tragic accident.

I would say the bold part is the problem here. What idiot leashes a dog and leaves him alone on the deck that way? That's not an accident, that's negligence.

Not a great comparison:eek:

I don't know what some here are visualizing as a leash. It's set of leashlike material, looks like a parachute jumper might wear. Then the leash can be attached or not. I had to use one when one of my daughters liked to scoot away in stores. Yes, got some funny looks, but it kept her free but in tow.

Archived