Is Cozumel a good place for jewelry?

kiraryker

I have two silver bracelets I bought in Cozumel at least seven years ago. I have worn them nearly daily and they have never turned black. I did have to change the clasp on one, because the original clasp would not stay closed. I think you need to be VERY careful when you buy jewelry there. Take your time and don't ever accept the seller's first few prices. Walk away if you feel pressured or uncertain. There are plenty of dealers there and a very large selection of styles and quality.

I like large, chunky bracelets, rings, necklaces etc and I saw some substantial pieces. I won't/don't shop Diamond International so I am sure it was not there that I saw the pieces I liked but for hefty, bold pieces done in silver, you can find interesting, attractive designs. We only shopped the stores at the top of the pier so you don't have to go downtown for silver jewelry shopping.

OP, I would do a search for jewelry in Cozumel. There is one "trip" site that had "advice" on jewelry that is well worth reading. Under the search for jewelry in Cozumel, look for jewelry warning.

I went shopping with a friend who buys quite a bit and is known by one of the salesmen. We were offered anything to drink while shopping which included margaritas. He noticed my oval diamond and said he had a fabulous deal that even he couldn't believe. It was a 2 carat diamond that, if I remeber correctly, was around $20,000. First of all, I was not looking to replace my diamond and I surely was not paying $20,000. He kept coming down on the price, even though I kept refusing. He even offered his phone so I could call my husband to get the OK.

He had yet another price and I was NOT to tell anyone what it was. Kept telling me he just could not believe the price he was able to give me. It ended up being around $9,000. There's no way a 2 carat diamond of any quality would be only $9,000.

You didn't say what kind of jewelry you would be looking for but my point is you must be careful and are probably better off buying something at home. If you're just looking for something in sterling, according to some of the posts on that site I referenced, even though Mexico is known for sterling, much of it is NOT sterling.

Just look for the .925 mark, which is required by law for sterling silver. If you just see "Taxco" or "sterling" it probably isn't. There usually is a hallmark with the .925, also.

I hate to say it but that is not always reliable either.

Just look for the .925 mark, which is required by law for sterling silver. If you just see "Taxco" or "sterling" it probably isn't. There usually is a hallmark with the .925, also.

I hate to say it but that is not always reliable either.

I agree the .925 stamp is no guarantee.

It is so easy to make such a tool and for a less than honorable seller to implant the stamp on any piece.

When silver was a reasonably priced metal, most didn't bother. Today, given the price of silver, I would only trust a few 'known to be reputable' sellers.

i agree the .925 stamp is no guarantee.

it is so easy to make such a tool and for a less than honorable seller to implant the stamp on any piece.

when silver was a reasonably priced metal, most didn't bother. Today, given the price of silver, i would only trust a few 'known to be reputable' sellers.

yesssssss!

Something nice to get there is jewelry with an onyx stone.

As to the silver you can get it at low prices but be careful what you get because it might be the type that turns black.

Keith

real sterling does turn black

Archived