Robbed at the banana plantation

kcscrapper

On December 18, 2012, my sister and I were on a privately guided tour which included the banana plantation outside Puerto Limon. We were set upon by 4 masked teenagers, wielding machettes and a pistol, and robbed of our cameras and my travelers neck pouch (containing my passport, 2 credit cards, my ship card and cash.)

We were not harmed beyond the welt across my neck from having the pouch violently tugged on before being cut off.

I understand your concern ... and I will write a full review. But, I believe that part of the review will be how our request for a refund is handled. A private operator can't always control everything that happens, but the response to a problem is illuminating about their business.

As of right now, the tour operator is having "difficulty" actually getting me the refund. The operator has indicted willingness to do so ... but it hasn't yet happened.

The guide was standing right between us, telling us about how bananas grow, when we were set upon.

On December 18, 2012, my sister and I were on a privately guided tour which included the banana plantation outside Puerto Limon. We were set upon by 4 masked teenagers, wielding machettes and a pistol, and robbed of our cameras and my travelers neck pouch (containing my passport, 2 credit cards, my ship card and cash.)

We were not harmed beyond the welt across my neck from having the pouch violently tugged on before being cut off.

Were you and your sister the only ones on the tour?

OkeyDokey (Charlie Soto) A-2 Tour – zip lining

We were met by Mr. Soto, who was also boarding another tour for which he was the guide. Mr. Soto waited with my sister and I while we waited for his "helper for the day" to appear, and then waited while Mr. Soto organized the guide. Mr. Soto requested the our cash payment in advance in order to give money to the guide for admission fees. We were bundled into a taxi and headed for the zip line. In route, since it was still early, we stopped at a local fruit stand partaking of two types of very small bananas, a couple of bites of pineapple, and tasting a cocoa bean. Our guide presented us with a bottle of water as we left.

We went to "Jungle Breeze" zip line. Since it was just my sister and me, we were attached to a larger group from Greenway Tours. After getting our gear on and a safety demo, the Greenway Tour guide, and the non zipline riders from their group, joined the tractor driver for the ride to the 1st platform. The Greenway Tour guide had the tractor driver stop several times to explain the jungle eco system, floral and fauna, even digging into research books he’d brought in his backpack for information.

The zip line guides were impressively safety conscious -- no one, not even themselves, failed to be linked to the safety equipment, except for the short seconds between unlinking and linking again. They were hard workers, getting all of us hooked to the cable system and off the cable system ... sometimes even having to go "fetch" those zipline riders who braked too conscientiously and ended up stopping short of the platform!

There was a "tip jar" for the zip line guides to which we contributed. They worked for it; they were cute and funny and took care of us.

The zip line was 9 platforms. The Greenway Tours guide met the whole group, with the non zip line riders, at the last platform, taking pictures as we zipped to the ground.

That became the end of our A-2 tour due to the armed robbery that occurred in the banana grove which was our next stop.

Differences from advertised tour description:

Fruit stand stop -- the one we had was extremely limited and very uncomfortable. It was a local place with locals just sitting around staring at us; the owner seemed unprepared, abrupt and pretty rude. The fruit offered was very limited -- but did include the two major Costa Rican crops - bananas and pineapple.

Cold water, soda and beer -- we received a bottle of water at the fruit stand. We could have used some cold water at the end of the zip line. No additional water was offered. Perhaps the soda and beer would have been made available at a later point in the tour. We don't know -- our tour abruptly ended.

13 platform zip line -- There were 9 platforms for the zip line -- less than 70% of what was advertised.

Notable for us - We like lots of information with our tours; we like a real guide showing us and telling us about their country. Our guide, who did not seem to be an actual employee of Mr. Soto, but more like someone he found for the day, was more a cab driver than an informational guide. He was very NICE; he was supportive and did what had to be done after the robbery (though there was quite a lot of dithering -- but he seemed upset and confused about the robbery) finally getting us to the municipal police station to make a report, helping with translation while there, and finally getting us back to the ship.

I have since learned that Mr. Soto, owner of OkeyDokeyTours, “sub contracts everything and owns only a cell phone.” (Information received from a certified ICT travel agent and guide). Okey Dokey Tours is not really even found on Trip Advisor but appears on Cruise Critic and offers the Cruise Critic discount (which is also offered by Greenway Tours).

Mr. Soto, in an email to me, asserted "i toll him that, i never stop there, there is no people, or a security guard, i tell him everytime we better take our people to the Packing plant there is all the people". Frankly, it didn't seem that Mr Soto had that extensive a conversation with the driver while he "organized" the tour details, (particularly since Soto had another tour already boarded and waiting for him to begin), but I don't speak the language well enough to say whether or not that statement is true. If true, then, our guide took us to a place with known "no security" and where he was directed to not take us. If not true, then Mr. Soto, is willing to throw his hired help "under the bus".

Mr. Soto has, since December 22, 2012, agreed to refund our cash payment – but has continuously failed to do so though I’ve suggested tmany different avenues . His latest promise is for payment January 2, 2013.

kcscapper ....

Once again, so glad you & your sister were not badly injured.

Think you were on Zuiderdam. While you were NOT on an excursion thru HAL, was HAL helpful to you in assisting with your missing passports, etc. ??

LuLu

~~~

Wow! So glad you weren't hurt worse than you were. What a terrifying experience. I've been on an Okey Dokey tour before. Charlie Soto did not lead our tour - 12 from our ship in a van - but he did show up at several stops including to refill when the beer was getting low. The cooler in the van was full of water, soft drinks, and beer. We paid him at the end of the tour. After hearing this, even though it wasn't Soto's fault, I don't think I'd want to go on one of his tours again.

kcscapper ....

Once again, so glad you & your sister were not badly injured.

Think you were on Zuiderdam. While you were NOT on an excursion thru HAL, was HAL helpful to you in assisting with your missing passports, etc. ??

LuLu

~~~

Thank you. Yes -- we walked away. That is the best part.

You are correct -- this was a private arrange excursion. The staff of the Zuiderdam were wonderful. We couldn't have asked for kinder, more supportive treatment.

We were in line at the front desk to get my cruise card reissued. The young woman asked a couple of questions to ensure her understanding and without further ado, kicked in their procedures - the security staff was notified, the port agent appeared, her supervisor came and inquired whether we'd made a report with the local authorities. Once we were finished with the front desk, the head of security had already appeared and asked for a moment -- he was very kind and supportive. He assured us that we weren't leaving the ship and later assured me that customs/immigration wouldn't be a huge problem in FLL; the nurse came up to make sure we were okay (she checked my neck and gave me some super antibiotic ointment samples); everyone needed to make reports. The Captain showed up - making sure we were okay and being taken care of. Again very supportive -- that they knew who I was and that I had had a passport and they weren't putting us off.

I saw the head of security in the Lido the following day and stopped to thank him, again, for the kindness and courtesy of the staff -- he remembered me on sight, and immediately brought me up to date with the latest information -- who in FLL had been notified and what was going on.

HAL couldn't have been more supportive and genuinely kind -- or made getting back to the ship a safer place for us to be! I will always be impressed!

Sorry -- I think I might have misread the question! HAL didn't do anything with regard to reporting the stolen passport, credit cards, etc. But they let me back on board with the information contained in their files AND with a copy of the incident report from the local police. (That report was very important to get!!) And while they were wonderful there ... we haven't heard from them since then .... nor would I have expected to hear from them. All of the running around in regard to my passport is on me!

Going through customs in FLL wasn't "bad" either -- I did still have my driver's license ... and we had the copy of the all important incident report from the municipal police. It took 3 agents talking to me and clicking on their computers, but they let me back in the US. The HAL staff didn't have anything to do with all of that either -- unless there was some advance note in the computer from the HAL port agent -- which is what I understood would happen, but no custom's agent said anything about. The customs agent just said the computer had not been noted that my passport had been stolen and that I would need to make the report since the Costa Rica authorities had not done so.

Sorry to hear about the robbery ..glad you were ok

We did a tour with Okey Dokey & indeed went to a larger plantation than what you mention, lots of people around

I never carry my passport ashore unless required by the Country we are visiting

Glad you are OK

I just heard about this.

Glad you both are all right.

So sorry that this happened to you.

We never take our passports ashore with us unless we are told we have to like in certain countries.

I just carry colored photo copies of our passports.

We prefer to take the ship's excursions for most of our tours.

I never carry my passport ashore unless required by the Country we are visiting

We never take our passports ashore with us unless we are told we have to like in certain countries.

I just carry colored photo copies of our passports.

We prefer to take the ship's excursions for most of our tours.

Thank you for the kind well wishes.

Yes -- too late smart, I guess. We were told by the ship to be sure to have government issued ID on shore -- since the US is going to passports more and more, I took that to be our passports.

And, yes -- some people prefer ships excursions. We, generally, do not. And I've read that a Carnival cruise line excursion was set upon and robbed -- so violence can happen even on a ship's excursion.

Thank you for the kind well wishes.

Yes -- too late smart, I guess. We were told by the ship to be sure to have government issued ID on shore -- since the US is going to passports more and more, I took that to be our passports.

I too carry a photo copy of the passport & my D.L as government I.D. much easier to replace

We also prefer private tours ..you were just in the wrong place wrong time

Even ship's tours have been mugged at some destinations

Those neck pouches are a dead giveaway though ..we have the waist one that you wear under your clothes ;)

Those neck pouches are a dead giveaway though ..we have the waist one that you wear under your clothes ;)

Yes -- again -- too late smart! The customs agent at FLL said the same thing. My sister had a collared shirt on so the neck strap on the one she was wearing couldn't be seen. The head security officer on board said they they were probably after the camera -- my neck pouch was a bonus.

Sorry to hear about your experience, kscrapper. I visited the Del Monte plantation on the cruise BEFORE the drydock. This plantation was in Beverly; I presume it is the same place.

To confirm, where did the tour operator actually stop at the Del Monte plantation property? Did the incident occur at the parking lot/cluster of buildings among all the workers?

UPDATE: I see you mentioned in the thread in the HAL board that the tour operator pulled over in front of the plantation but didn't drive inside. For what it's worth, I took Your Lucky Tours and we went directly to the plant.

Sorry about your incidnet. Now I am really happy that we booked with Green Way Tours in December. We were approx. 20 people and our bus drove in the middle of the DEL MONTE plantation with employees and other visitors around us. We felt very safe. I have a feeling that your driver stopped outside the plantation.

PS. We never, never take our passports on shore excursions, but the driver license, sometimes a copy of our passports and only one of our credit cards.

Archived