Which beach in St Thomas

cartfan

We are going on the Carnival Glory in Feb and wondering which would be the best beach to go to. Just want to relax, soak up the sun (hopefully), and drink some beer. Are there bars on the beaches where you can get beer or rum drinks? How much are they?

All beaches except Lindquist/Smith Bay will fit the bill, just depends on how busy a spot you want. Magen's, Coki, and Lindherst are typically the busier beaches, Sapphire is the choice of most who have already experienced the others because there is room to spread out, is's a very nice beach with good snorkeling, pretty water, and nice island views, and there aren't alot of beach vendors as Sapphire is lined with condo resorts. There's a dive center renting chairs, etc, and Banana Cabana sells beers ($4 - 5) and rum drinks and painkillers ($8 - 10) as well as mahi mahi sandwiches and burgers and smoothies.

We like Emerald and it seems to suit your needs.

Emerald is actually Lindherst Bay, home of the BW Emerald Beach Resort in case you're looking for it on a map. Very nice beach closer to town and a cheaper taco than the East End beaches ($6 vs $9).

Thanks so much for the info. If we have never been to Magen's bay should we go there? How much is it to get on the beach - I have read somewhere there is a charge for the beach.

Also, do we need water shoes for any of the beaches in St Thomas?

Thanks so much for the info. If we have never been to Magen's bay should we go there? How much is it to get on the beach - I have read somewhere there is a charge for the beach.

Hopefully someone can confirm, but I believe Magen's is $4 per person.

Here is the information for the Magens Bay Authority: http://www.magensbayauthority.com/

Re: water shoes- There may be some shoally areas at some beaches, but you can see those and avoid them.

You generally don't need water shoes at the STT beaches but having said that we'll have ours when we stay on STT in 2 weeks. You won't see as many rocky areas as in Bermuda, for example, but we take them with us to beaches on both STT and STJ just to save "surprises". We stay on Sapphire and never needed to wear them there and I'm sure you'll be fine without them on Magens.

Regarding your question on Magens, that is one of the last beaches we would choose on a cruise stop only because so many of your fellow cruise mates are also going there. Nice bay and beach but it's just where most newcomers to STT go and there are other beautiful beaches that are less crowded. We would choose Coki for a livelier vibe, Lindquist/Smith Bay for a quiet experience, or Sapphire for in-between with great island views. These beaches are all within a short drive of one another so you can also visit 2 of them for different experiences very easily. But I'm sure you will enjoy your day on Magens, and you can walk further down the bay away from the amenities for more privacy of course.

Edited by blue_water

We stay on Sapphire and never needed to wear them there and I'm sure you'll be fine without them on Magens....

Funny, I would disagree and say the opposite. Just returned from Sapphire and found it quite rocky, with coral. Scratched my foot pretty good but didn''t break the skin. I wished I had brought mine. *shrug*

Funny, I would disagree and say the opposite. Just returned from Sapphire and found it quite rocky, with coral. Scratched my foot pretty good but didn''t break the skin. I wished I had brought mine. *shrug*

Yes, that is funny. We saw a few rocks like on almost every beach but nothing like you're describing in the sandy swimming area. Were you off to the right of that part of the bay? There are definitely rocks and coral there. In front of SBRM bldg D is all rocks (by Pretty Kelp Point) for example, but very (very) experienced swimmers/snorkelers will start there and follow the reef out.

Certainly doesn't hurt to bring your water shoes to any beach, many ppl wear them to and from the beach

We have recently spent two land vacations in St. Thomas. Our favorite beach is Sapphire. Beautiful water, views of St John and Jost in the distance, drinks, not too crowded and good snorkeling. The dive shop has chairs, snorkel equipment and other water sports available for rent. Magens is nice, but gets crowded with the cruise ships in port. Yes, there is a charge to get in to Magens, but it was not much. There is also a bar and chairs available to rent. Coki is very pretty, but I did not like the atmosphere around it--did not feel safe to me. Some of the vendors there are really nice and fun to talk to, others creeped me out. Secret Harbor is very pretty, but probably too far from port when you are just there for the day. Not crazy about Emerald, but it may have just been the day we were there-- to me it is just not as pretty as the others mentioned above.

Yes, we love the gorgeous views of STJ and Josts from the balcony, pool, or beach at Sapphire while enjoying a great baguette sub and a cold Carib from the market. And Red Hook is very close for nightlife.

Just doesn't get much better than that! :D

We have been to Megans and Emerald (Lindbergh) the last two times we have been to St. Thomas. Megahns was VERY scenic and VERY crowded. We loved Emerald the last time we were there. The water was warm and there was nice big roller waves every so often, but not a pounding surf (will depend on wind direction your day of visit however. There was 2 resorts on the beach that I remember, one newer looking and one older looking. We rented two chiars and umbrellas from the older looking place, then ate lunch and drank beers there while on the beach. The food was good and for me the best thing was the bar actualkly had local beers and I had 2 or 3 St Johns Brewery beers there.

We are going again this month on the Breeze, and thinking about Sapphire. Can anyone tell me if the beach bar there has St. John's brews also?

Exactly the thread I was looking for right now. :) We are thinking Sapphire beach (based on what I've read, confirmed above).

There are two groups of 4 of us, so I'm actually thinking that a car rental from the port vs Taxi's would make more sense - assuming the $10/pp taxi costs being quoted (and I'm confident that these are one-way rates) it'll end up being significantly less expensive to just rent cars and drive ourselves there and back, and that gives us the flexibility to ditch one beach for another if there's something we don't like.

Edited by Oshawapilot

oshawpilot it would be cheaper to rent if you have time for that, for 8 ppl you'll need a van or 2 cars of course.

I'm following a liveblog from one of CC's active members who was in St. Thomas today - he reserved a car ahead of time and picked it up literally steps from the gangway, so he was in the car and headed out in no time flat.

Taxi = $18/PP x4 in each group = $72. Car rental quoted to be ~$45 per car for a 4 seat compact for the day. Add to that the convenience factor and it seems like a no brainer to me. ;)

Edited by Oshawapilot

sometimes the car you reserved is there and sometimes it's just not. But yes it works well when it works well...

And $45 sounds right for a compact, we're paying $50/day for a full size next week but the weekly rates are a little better. And definitely an easy drive, just keep your shoulder to the shoulder and watch for goats and stopped cars around curves and you'll be fine.

When you get to Sapphire just park on the right near the lobby turn around and walk straight ont on to the beach and enjoy! I would take Rt 30 (through Red Hook) on the return and stop at Iggie's beach bar just a few miles this side of Red Hook for a great rum punch. Or any of the bars/restaurants in Red Hook (Fish Tails, Big Bambooz, Island Time, Molly Malone's, and Duffy's Love Shack) are good spots for a bite and a drink.

I was wondering if anyone knows if a taxi going to or from Sapphire to cruise port would stop at Drakes Seat for photos and seeing the view? I was thinking of going to Sapphire, then would like to see something on the way back. Does anyone have any ideas other than Drakes Seat? Thanks.