Doubletree or Crowne Plaza in San Pedro

Nebr.cruiser

I'm trying to decide between these two hotels for our pre-cruise night. Any pros or cons for each? It seems like the Crown Plaze gets better reviews, but the location of the Doubletree right at the marina looks so great.

I'll probably use either Hotwire or Priceline, so it's a toss-up as to which I'll get, most likely. A 3 *, which I 'think' is probably the Doubletree, is going for $69 or Hotwire right now. Probably can save a few dollars using Priceline, but I hate the bidding process.

I have only stayed at the Crowne Plaza. It is classed as three star. You can see the ship from the hotel, there is a free shuttle.

There are several places to eat within normal walking distance, but as I have a mobility problem I use the dining room at the hotel. The room does have coffee making facilities, something that the more expensive hotels no longer have.

I travel solo, and I do not use either Hot Wire or Priceline, my cost for March as a solo is $157 which includes all taxes ,(these amount to about $20+).

I stayed at the Crowne in Feb of this year, and when I booked again a few weeks ago, they told me they would honour the price I paid in Feb.

I will be using private transportation from LAX to San Pedro I prefer that ot the LAX shuttle as it means I will be met at the luggage pickup, and will go direct to the hotel, the shuttle stops at various places en route.

Doubletree is further out, but not that far, I believe they do have a shuttle.

I'm trying to decide between these two hotels for our pre-cruise night. Any pros or cons for each? It seems like the Crown Plaze gets better reviews, but the location of the Doubletree right at the marina looks so great.

I'll probably use either Hotwire or Priceline, so it's a toss-up as to which I'll get, most likely. A 3 *, which I 'think' is probably the Doubletree, is going for $69 or Hotwire right now. Probably can save a few dollars using Priceline, but I hate the bidding process.

Both are nice...

Some folks seemtoprefer one, some the other...

Crowne Plaza:

Pros: Very convenient location...wide choice of restaurants within a very short couple of blocks

Cons: On urban city block

Doubletree:

Pros: More serene waterfront setting...

Cons: Not many restaurants within short walking distance

Both hotels are considered three star...but I'd say to the nicer side of three stars...both major chains...both have shuttles to the pier...

If you're using Priceline or Hotwire, it's not like its more than flipping a coin...but, it is a coin flip...you can't go wrong either way...

Thanks for your replies. You have kind of reiterated what I expected; both nice hotels, each with good and just ok points. I'll probably just go with the one that is on Hotwire and won't be disappointed either way, but kind of hoping for the Doubletree. The price (plus taxes) is good.

We are in our late 60's but we love to walk, so a little distance to the restaurants isn't a problem. We will probably use Super Shuttle to get to and from the ship.

Having stayed at both an number of times our choice would be the Double Tree Inn. There is nothing really wrong with the Crown Plaza but it is your typical downtown hotel where as the DTI's location in a park like setting and overlooking the LA Yacht Club and boat harbor is pretty special.

I just booked the hotel on Hotwire, and it turned out to be the Crowne Plaza, despite all indications that it would be the Doubletree.

Slightly disappointed but only a little; we got a great deal at $69 plus taxes. Getting closer to Hawaii-bound every day; since it is snowing and about 15 here, can't wait.

Having stayed at both an number of times our choice would be the Double Tree Inn. There is nothing really wrong with the Crown Plaza but it is your typical downtown hotel where as the DTI's location in a park like setting and overlooking the LA Yacht Club and boat harbor is pretty special.

Hello - we are booked at the DTI for our cruise in April (using reward points so not concerned about pricing!)- do you know if there are any little markets in the area so we can stock up on caffiene free diet coke (not avail on board) and wine? We are flying in from the east coast so can't "pack" it so hoping to hit a market before we board the next morning.

Hello - we are booked at the DTI for our cruise in April (using reward points so not concerned about pricing!)- do you know if there are any little markets in the area so we can stock up on caffiene free diet coke (not avail on board) and wine? We are flying in from the east coast so can't "pack" it so hoping to hit a market before we board the next morning.

The hotel's shuttle will take you to the super market, Vons, on Gaffey St. where there are also a couple of drug stores and C-stores. You will have to call the hotel to pick you up when you want to return to the hotel.

I just booked the hotel on Hotwire, and it turned out to be the Crowne Plaza, despite all indications that it would be the Doubletree.

Slightly disappointed but only a little; we got a great deal at $69 plus taxes. Getting closer to Hawaii-bound every day; since it is snowing and about 15 here, can't wait.

We will be staying at the Crowne Plaza Jan 18 for our cruise to HI. Haven't stayed at either so will report back. You got a great deal! We got ours on Priceline for $95 after they rejected several lower bids. This was my first time at bidding. Maybe, next time I will check out Hotwire.

Have a great cruise.

Cindi, we are traveling with you in April and are staying at the DTI also. We have stayed there several times before and have found the hotel's shuttle is very busy the morning of a cruise because they may have more than one cruise that day. In fact this last Oct. we had trouble getting them to take us to the store the night before because they had so many people wanting to go to dinner in town. We have used a cab and it's less than $10 including a tip to the port or the wine store.

Cindi, we are traveling with you in April and are staying at the DTI also. We have stayed there several times before and have found the hotel's shuttle is very busy the morning of a cruise because they may have more than one cruise that day. In fact this last Oct. we had trouble getting them to take us to the store the night before because they had so many people wanting to go to dinner in town. We have used a cab and it's less than $10 including a tip to the port or the wine store.

Thanks Barbara! Good info to have - we will be arriving very late Friday nite (our flight lands at 10:30 pm so no time to shop that nite unless the Super Shuttle will make a stop for us LOL) We will probably get up and get a cab in the am to get our last minute items ( which would be nice to have but not worth worrying about - we do like our wine on the balcony and caffeine FREE Diet Coke which they NEVER have on the ship!) and then try for the shuttle - does the DTI have a sign up for the shuttle? They did in FLL and it was great - we had a assigned time to leave the hotel and it worked out great!

Our roll call has been sooooooooooooo quiet - hoping more people start chatting now that we are in 2013!

We will be staying at the Crowne Plaza Jan 18 for our cruise to HI. Haven't stayed at either so will report back. You got a great deal! We got ours on Priceline for $95 after they rejected several lower bids. This was my first time at bidding. Maybe, next time I will check out Hotwire.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks. I'm sure it is just fine for one night pre-cruise--I just liked the marina setting of the Doubletree better.

I have used Priceline quite a few times with good luck, but I do hate the bidding process and the chance of messing up. I only had a slight problem one time when a did get a great deal on the hotel, but it turned out to be much farther from the dock than I thought.

I use Hotwire quite often for some really good deals. I can usually figure out pretty well what the hotel is by going to a form that lists hotels people have gotten on either Hotwire or Priceline, though it is not perfectly accurate.

When will you be staying at the CP? Which ship? We will be on the Sapphire.

We selected CP because, from what others said, more convenient to restaurants etc.

I didn't realize that the Doubletree was in a marina setting. Well, as you said, it's only for 1 night. I will post on CC about our stay.

Enjoy your cruise and Happy New Year.

p.s. we too, are mid 60s (me) and late 60's (husband). We enjoy walking too..Have to burn calories to keep up with the cruise food!

When will you be staying at the CP? Which ship? We will be on the Sapphire.

We selected CP because, from what others said, more convenient to restaurants etc.

I didn't realize that the Doubletree was in a marina setting. Well, as you said, it's only for 1 night. I will post on CC about our stay.

Enjoy your cruise and Happy New Year.

p.s. we too, are mid 60s (me) and late 60's (husband). We enjoy walking too..Have to burn calories to keep up with the cruise food!

We're there the night of Feb. 12th, sailing on the Golden. Have a great New Year, and you enjoy your cruise too. It will be great to get out of the cold.

Thanks Barbara! Good info to have - we will be arriving very late Friday nite (our flight lands at 10:30 pm so no time to shop that nite unless the Super Shuttle will make a stop for us LOL) We will probably get up and get a cab in the am to get our last minute items ( which would be nice to have but not worth worrying about - we do like our wine on the balcony and caffeine FREE Diet Coke which they NEVER have on the ship!) and then try for the shuttle - does the DTI have a sign up for the shuttle? They did in FLL and it was great - we had a assigned time to leave the hotel and it worked out great!

Our roll call has been sooooooooooooo quiet - hoping more people start chatting now that we are in 2013!

Yes, you do sign up for the shuttle when you arrive at the hotel. We have used it twice going to the port and once returning to the hotel after a cruise. Another time we took a taxi because they had 3 ships in port that day and the shuttle (although available) was a mad house and they were running behind about 2 hours. They are a great hotel and do a great job, we just choose to avoid the hassle sometimes.

For those who have stayed at CP-do you sign up for shuttle to pier? Or is it just first come first serve?

Thanks.

There was no sign up. The bell captain got our luggage out there and made sure we did not have to wait too long to get a shuttle. There were two ships in port so they were organizing for each ship. When they say the crowd, they had bell guy get another shuttle running, so there were three running at the time. It was around 11:30 and we only waited about 10 minutes. We were at the port by 11:45.

There was no sign up. The bell captain got our luggage out there and made sure we did not have to wait too long to get a shuttle. There were two ships in port so they were organizing for each ship. When they say the crowd, they had bell guy get another shuttle running, so there were three running at the time. It was around 11:30 and we only waited about 10 minutes. We were at the port by 11:45.

Thank you....this is encouraging! You know how excited we all get the day of embarkation!!! We can't wait to get on the ship. So knowing that they would add extra shuttle to accommodate the crowd is great.

• 3 weeks later...
The hotel's shuttle will take you to the super market, Vons, on Gaffey St. where there are also a couple of drug stores and C-stores. You will have to call the hotel to pick you up when you want to return to the hotel.

I'm curious how close both of the hotels are to a wine store so we can pick up a few bottles to carry on the ship. Anyone have any info?

Crown Plaza is fine, we had 3 nights precruise there in 2007, yes good shuttles, also one night a week the hotel management put on a free harbour cruise for guests, drinks and nibbles, great that was. Not sure if they still do that, think it was Thursday evenings.

BarbaraP, cinbol

DW & I are also staying at the DTI in April. We fly in on the 22nd for a 23rd departure on the Star. cinbol, I don't know if we r on the same cruise but our roll call has been quiet also... It's good to hear of option to get to the ship. I was, eventually, going to ask but found this instead. Thanks to all for the info...

Archived