Mitsugirlys STAR end of the world/pre-Christmas cruise detailed review & pictorial

mitsugirly

finding it takes time to learn how to navigate this site.

CHANKANABB reigns!!!

is there a pool? my son isn't really into the beach?

Yes, there is a pool. It's right in front of the building that is in front of the dolphin swim.

Swimming_pool.jpg

Not my picture. It's one found on the web, but that's what it looks like. :)

I watched your videos and have seen your pictures of Chankanabb. Your little girls is amazingly brave and adorable.

I had a really hard time with the physicality of snorkeling when I first tried it in Costa Maya in 2011 (post op 3 months).

I swear I'm not a stalker or anything but I feel like cruise critic "friends".

Now if I can just get you onto a Royal Carribbean cruise so we can meet.

As I'm sure you have seen we've never been on another cruise line. We LOVE RCCL.

Husband and I try to go on a cruise around Valentines' every other years. So that means in 2015 maybe??? LOL.

I was diagnosed with colon cancer just 4 months after (at 44 years old) our 2011 cruise which was incredible. Didn't realize how special that one was till I just looked back (must have been a premonition). . . hubby gave me a wonderful new wedding band, we snorkeled in Costa Maya, we rode Harley's in Cozumel and saw the east side of the Island (again another thing we do everytime), then since we had a late flight out of Tampa we went to Ybor.

I have so many links I can't keep them straight. Want to make sure I keep all the zip lines straight was it of Cozumel you relayed this story?

"Mosquitos on the trail as you walk can be voratious.

Once you reach the first tower a double winch is sent down where two persons are hooked into two slings and winched up to the platform for the first of your 4 zip line trips. The view is stunning and the staff is great on each of the 5 towers you will see. We viewed 5 parrots flying around us as we all zipped away. We had young and old, including my Dad who has a heart condition, but refused to not take part.

My mom did the I will walk, not zip and had to pay 35.00 (I think the cost was 35.00) to just walk and if we were to do this again that was not money well spent, not at all, she would have stayed at the bakery or in Bacalar and enjoyed the beautiful Fort and the Views of Lake Bacalar. Instead she walked to the end and had to fight the Mosquitos etc.

At the end of the fourth zip we did the tubes in the lake, some kayaked and some just swam. We loved the lake, we did not pull ourselves on the rope we just swam and had fun jumping in and swimming etc. There were at least 20 of us. We asked to please have the truck pick us up as the long walk through the jungle was way too mosquito filled for us to be able to enjoy the beautiful jungle.

I also would suggest to anyone to use Otto at Bio Maya, and do it prior to arrival through Otto not the ship you are travelling on.

A taxi would be better than the bus or a rental car, of which there are not many in Mahahual so the rental cars are pricey, all of the taxi's we used during our 2 weeks in Mahahual were fantastic. Enjoy the beautiful Mahahual as we did. Otto also offers many other tours and I would recommend him to any one, I used him for all of our family tours."

or have I also confused my sources as well??

Wow, excellent review! I was on the Star in 2005 (Alaska), and it looks like a lot has changed since then.

Thanks and glad you enjoyed it. :)

I watched your videos and have seen your pictures of Chankanabb. Your little girls is amazingly brave and adorable.

I had a really hard time with the physicality of snorkeling when I first tried it in Costa Maya in 2011 (post op 3 months).

Aww thanks. She is pretty daring and will do anything we do and not think twice about it. Did you see the one of her jumping from the 2 story deck at Little French Key in Roatan? We kept telling her to wait for us first. She just wanted to "go"!

I swear I'm not a stalker or anything but I feel like cruise critic "friends".

Now if I can just get you onto a Royal Carribbean cruise so we can meet.

As I'm sure you have seen we've never been on another cruise line. We LOVE RCCL.

Husband and I try to go on a cruise around Valentines' every other years. So that means in 2015 maybe??? LOL.

I was diagnosed with colon cancer just 4 months after (at 44 years old) our 2011 cruise which was incredible. Didn't realize how special that one was till I just looked back (must have been a premonition). . . hubby gave me a wonderful new wedding band, we snorkeled in Costa Maya, we rode Harley's in Cozumel and saw the east side of the Island (again another thing we do everytime), then since we had a late flight out of Tampa we went to Ybor.

It's fine. I have made a lot of "cruise" friends on here and some from roll calls that I still cruise with and plan things with. We send Christmas cards, gifts, call and text...we are friends for life. I like to call people on here my cruise "family". When I cruise with those on my roll call and we run in to them over and over on the ship, I'll wave hi and say "hello cruise family". :D

Oh you could get me on a RC for sure. I have always wanted to cruise on the Allure or Oasis, but every time I have looked at pricing for my dates, they are sold out (of the cheap-o interior rooms). There's a few others I wouldn't mine cruising on. It just never works out for us. Some day. I have only cruise with RC once before and had a great time.

When I FINALLY finish school, I'll be free to cruise whenever I want...maybe then. :D

Hate to hear about your diagnosis. I hope you are cancer free now and doing well.

I have so many links I can't keep them straight. Want to make sure I keep all the zip lines straight was it of Cozumel you relayed this story?

"Mosquitos on the trail as you walk can be voratious.

Once you reach the first tower a double winch is sent down where two persons are hooked into two slings and winched up to the platform for the first of your 4 zip line trips. The view is stunning and the staff is great on each of the 5 towers you will see. We viewed 5 parrots flying around us as we all zipped away. We had young and old, including my Dad who has a heart condition, but refused to not take part.

My mom did the I will walk, not zip and had to pay 35.00 (I think the cost was 35.00) to just walk and if we were to do this again that was not money well spent, not at all, she would have stayed at the bakery or in Bacalar and enjoyed the beautiful Fort and the Views of Lake Bacalar. Instead she walked to the end and had to fight the Mosquitos etc.

At the end of the fourth zip we did the tubes in the lake, some kayaked and some just swam. We loved the lake, we did not pull ourselves on the rope we just swam and had fun jumping in and swimming etc. There were at least 20 of us. We asked to please have the truck pick us up as the long walk through the jungle was way too mosquito filled for us to be able to enjoy the beautiful jungle.

I also would suggest to anyone to use Otto at Bio Maya, and do it prior to arrival through Otto not the ship you are travelling on.

A taxi would be better than the bus or a rental car, of which there are not many in Mahahual so the rental cars are pricey, all of the taxi's we used during our 2 weeks in Mahahual were fantastic. Enjoy the beautiful Mahahual as we did. Otto also offers many other tours and I would recommend him to any one, I used him for all of our family tours."

or have I also confused my sources as well??

Nope, not me. We have never zip lined in Cozumel. We did zip line in Roatan once (with Victor Bodden). The review is in my signature. :) I know how hard it is to keep things straight. I do a lot of research prior to cruising too and it gets confusing. :p

This was our first of five cruises that we started developing "cruise family". Poor husband couldn't get their names right (5 couples in all). LOL.

I see you are a nurse. I became a LPN at age 40 and was a stay-at-home Mom till I went to school in Spring 2006. I'm heading back to work now and am doing very well medically but the living life effects are hopefully never going away. Live baby, Live!!! Our new moto is no regrets.

Jenni

This was our first of five cruises that we started developing "cruise family". Poor husband couldn't get their names right (5 couples in all). LOL.

I see you are a nurse. I became a LPN at age 40 and was a stay-at-home Mom till I went to school in Spring 2006. I'm heading back to work now and am doing very well medically but the living life effects are hopefully never going away. Live baby, Live!!! Our new moto is no regrets.

Jenni

I'm really bad with names too. You can tell me over and over and I still don't remember. :o

I'm not a nurse yet (I wish). I'm still in school and will hopefully (fingers crossed) graduate in 3 months. It's a rough semester for me. There's a lot of things going on in my family (2 new grandbabies, 1 is sick and hasn't been released from the hospital yet), I'm moving...the list goes on. :(

All I know is I will be ready for a cruise real soon...graduate or not!

I know on the first day of school they told us it would be the hardest thing we do. I laughed because they had no idea what I had already survived. They weren't far off though. The great thing about tough things in life is you can always look back and say, I can't believe I made it. The human capacity to survive is incredible.

did you ever hear back about Cruises for this from NayRN? LPN's are not required continuing ed credits but I LOVE to learn. I was a really poor student who tried really hard in the early years and now I think I'm a better student than nurse.

the thread is hard to follow but it appears this is your review of Almaplena, Costa Maya???

So do all nurses have the addictive personality disorder that makes them research hogs????

Maybe if someone would have told me 20 years ago it would have saved me a lot of time figuring out what I wanted to do. (My youngest was only 4 or 5 when I made a decision to be a nurse and she'd tell everyone who would listen. . . that her Mommy was going to be a nurse when she "grew up". We let it go because what I really meant is it was what I would do when she grew up. LOL)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=36475277#post36475277

Thought I would try to compare mitsugirly's awsome reviews of three places to go in Costa Maya in order to plan my next trip but also to help others who might not have the time to piece them all together. not trying to nitpick but rather letting her help me to plan my next cruise. (Please by all means tell me if I have misinterupted you?!)

Nohoch Kay, Maya Chan, Almaplena

I believe she said MAYA CHAN is her second choice because of the water. "For the price they charge and everything that is included…you can’t beat this place!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30654861&postcount=12

In response to princess Jen about NOHOCH KAY

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1851647&page=19

"has a beach (which is were the snorkel tour launches from) but the water is nicer and free of grass at Almaplena." Not a fan of snorkeling along the malecon i.e. Nohoch Kay. There's some nice things but lots of traffic. We love NK because we know Jaime the owner and his staff treats you with great respect and attentive service. But if you want to avoid seagrass and any malecon crowds and beach vendors. There really wasn't much snorkeling to be done at Nohoch. You can walk on the water way out and it's still at your feet/ankles/knees. There are areas that drop in a round "pool like" area, maybe 5' across here and there. But it was hard to "swim" in. So unless you are paying more on top of the AI access to do a snorkel tour away from the malecon, I don't see much snorkeling to be done. It's mostly sea grass there. Also, if you just planned on snorkeling there at the beach, you would still need your own equipment. I never seen them renting any there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1995283

head to Almaplena and hang there all day.

ALMAPLENA is another 10+ minute taxi ride from Nohoch Kay. It is south of the malecon. Both are A.I.s. I personally prefer Almaplena. It is just so gorgeous there and the water is an amazing blue and very clear. I just don't care for the water at the malecon. It isn't too private either since you are on a beach on a strip with other beach clubs and people walking around. But that's just my opinion on how I felt about the place.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1995283

IMO, the snorkeling at Almaplena might be better.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846&page=10

I tried posting under your Maya Chan review where you talk about being unsuccessful with starfish.

We went to Uvero Beach '11 on RCC excursion and you won't have any problems finding them there. It was my first time snorkeling and it wasn't from the water's edge. They were awsome.

Once I get done scrapping four cruises perhaps I'll do a review. On line now planning our next couple cruise for Costa Maya. I owe it all to you. You are making it easier.

I know on the first day of school they told us it would be the hardest thing we do. I laughed because they had no idea what I had already survived. They weren't far off though. The great thing about tough things in life is you can always look back and say, I can't believe I made it. The human capacity to survive is incredible.

I completely agree. It is by far the hardest thing I have ever done in life. Seriously! I spent 2 years doing pre-reqs and LOVED school. Then after starting nursing school...it has slowly went downhill and I can't wait to no longer be in school. I have lost my thrill for school. It's been a little over 4 years and I'm so ready for this to be over with. :(

even though I only went two years (I also spent several years doing what wasn't pre-requs before hand to lighten the daily load) probably 2 months before finishing I was going to drop out because I no longer felt like nursing was my "calling". The director went the extra step to keep me there.

the minute I graduated I got asked if I was going back for my RN and then I said "no" and still I say "no" but now it's NO WAY JOSE.

great job my daughter is in her junior year for her bsn rn and she tells me how hard it is

Definitely believe her when she says that! :D Good luck to her.

even though I only went two years (I also spent several years doing what wasn't pre-requs before hand to lighten the daily load) probably 2 months before finishing I was going to drop out because I no longer felt like nursing was my "calling". The director went the extra step to keep me there.

the minute I graduated I got asked if I was going back for my RN and then I said "no" and still I say "no" but now it's NO WAY JOSE.

Here there really isn't any jobs of LPN's unless you want to work in a retirement home or palliative care. I work at the local hospital in the emergency room and absolutely love the fast paced, non-stop excitement. I got to do my clinical in MY ER tonight and boy was it amazing. :D I got to do my first ng tube placement and I rocked it. I have yet to miss an IV on the first stick and I hope to keep that going. hehe

• 4 months later...
Carlos greeted us when we arrived and said he would be our waiter. I remember A LOT of comments on people saying if you go here, make sure you get Carlos because he is WONDERFUL…and he was. He took us out to the beach area to show us where we were going to sit. Hmm, I didn’t realize that we had “assigned seats” and no one had ever mentioned that. I mean I’m sure we could have moved if we wanted (and we eventually did).

So we step down off of the pool area and in to the sand…sink, step, pull, sink, step, pull….Um ok. This was some hard sand to walk in. It’s the kind you really struggle to walk in and you sink with each step. We went on the other side around the pool (in front of the pool area) where the papalas where located facing the ocean and we put our things down. Carlos asks us what type of drinks we would like to get started. The hubby ordered a beer and I ordered a strawberry daiquiri to get me going and prepared for the world to end.

This would be our campsite for the day...or would it?

PC200829-M.jpg

What do you think my daughter did as soon as we arrived at the “camp site” ?

PC200827-M.jpg

I walked down after her to check out the water:

PC200828-M.jpg

Once I got to the water, I noticed first that the waves were a little rough (I assumed because it was also windy out too) and then, as you can see in the picture) the sand in the water quickly went down right as soon as you get in. Hmmm, this was going to create a bit of a problem. Even though our daughter can swim, I do not trust her in the ocean unless it is calm (without her floaties). The water was rough. I looked at my husband and told him I really didn’t feel too safe letting her play here by the water because of the drop off. I guess that was one thing I had not asked about prior to going was if there was a gentle decline in the water or a quick drop in the sandy bottom. DARN. This now deemed the beach as pretty unusable to us. Remember me saying we do not go to the ocean to go to a pool? Well, this would be the exception for the day. We really didn’t have much choice. I knew that I wouldn’t feel that she was safe and I also knew that the sand was next to impossible to walk in and I wasn’t going to pull a muscle chasing after her in that stuff.

PC200830-M.jpg

This picture was taken later in the day when I attempted once more to walk down the beach and try to snorkel from one end to the other. I turned around to take a shot of the sand to show just how difficult it was to walk in because I knew this would be included in my review:

PC200852-M.jpg

Can you tell how deep the foot prints are everywhere here? This is right beside the water. My legs were aching by the time that I made it to the end of Nachi and it's NOT a big place at all if that tells you anything.

I love everyone one of your reviews. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your adventures. . I have a question. I just recently booked a cruise on the Carnival Legend. WE will be leaving in 20 days and I have no idea where to begin with excursions. Then I remembered the amazing reviews I have read. I have a few questions concerning our ports. We have been to Cozumel once and went to Chankanaab Park... LOVED the Royal Dolphin swim and the Snuba. My daughter would love to snumba again, but we would also like to try a different beach area. Any suggestions? I saw your beautiful pics of Playa Mia, Nachi Cocom and Mr Sanchos. Our kids are 19 and 16. Love the water. We love beautiful beaches, lounge chairs, decent food, clean restrooms, water toys. lol

I love everyone one of your reviews. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your adventures. . I have a question. I just recently booked a cruise on the Carnival Legend. WE will be leaving in 20 days and I have no idea where to begin with excursions. Then I remembered the amazing reviews I have read. I have a few questions concerning our ports. We have been to Cozumel once and went to Chankanaab Park... LOVED the Royal Dolphin swim and the Snuba. My daughter would love to snumba again, but we would also like to try a different beach area. Any suggestions? I saw your beautiful pics of Playa Mia, Nachi Cocom and Mr Sanchos. Our kids are 19 and 16. Love the water. We love beautiful beaches, lounge chairs, decent food, clean restrooms, water toys. lol

I have never done the snuba "yet". :D I haven't felt like my little one is quite ready for it, but hopefully we'll try it in Bermuda next year. So I can't comment on where you can actually do the snuba at in Cozumel. Hopefully someone else can give you that answer.

As for the places (and ages of the kids)...Mr Sanchos has the water toys out in the ocean and a big pool. It's ok there. We enjoyed ourselves, but liked Playa Mia better.

The day we were at Playa Mia, they didn't have the water toys out in the ocean, so I can't comment on it first hand. However, they did upgrade them and it looks like a lot of fun from the pictures I have found online. They might be interested in that. They also have a huge pool and 2 water slides as well. They have canoes and water bikes as well. I think they would enjoy it. :)

085626_130710030818.jpg

I have never done the snuba "yet". :D I haven't felt like my little one is quite ready for it, but hopefully we'll try it in Bermuda next year. So I can't comment on where you can actually do the snuba at in Cozumel. Hopefully someone else can give you that answer.

As for the places (and ages of the kids)...Mr Sanchos has the water toys out in the ocean and a big pool. It's ok there. We enjoyed ourselves, but liked Playa Mia better.

The day we were at Playa Mia, they didn't have the water toys out in the ocean, so I can't comment on it first hand. However, they did upgrade them and it looks like a lot of fun from the pictures I have found online. They might be interested in that. They also have a huge pool and 2 water slides as well. They have canoes and water bikes as well. I think they would enjoy it. :)

085626_130710030818.jpg

Thank you for the info. Did you book Playa Mia on line? What was the cost of the taxi one way?

Thank you for the info. Did you book Playa Mia on line? What was the cost of the taxi one way?

I actually booked, what was suppose to be with Playa Mia itself. I went to their website and it ask if you are arriving via cruise line. When I clicked on which cruise line, it basically took me to the Carnival website and booked it that way.

I'm now hearing that Carnival no longer has a contract with Playa Mia, so if the ship you are on doesn't have a contract with the place, it will probably just let you book directly with them.

There is another 3rd party place to book with online (I didn't find this out until after I had returned) that could possibly save you some money. But I don't recall who it was with. You can probably just do a search online and it will pop up.

Taxi cost depends on which pier you are coming from but should range about $15-16 one way for up to 4 people. (That's 4 people costing $15, not $15 each person). The more people in your party, the cheaper it gets pp if you split it. :)

The setup of the pool area leading up to the Bier Garten reminded me of the back kiddie pool area on the Spirit. There are rows and rows going up decks of lounge chairs. Plenty of room for people to sit and layout. I NEVER ONCE encounter or seen ANY chair hogs on this cruise. There was ALWAYS some place to sit. ALWAYS.

Here's a shot while we were walking up the multiple layers of steps, there's a lot of steps and levels, so this shot doesn't begin to show how many there is, but you get the idea right?

bier-garten-pool-deck-M.jpg

YES! I remember this! Everyone had a straight view of the pool. Sigh....wish the. Breakaway was more like this!!:(

YES! I remember this! Everyone had a straight view of the pool. Sigh....wish the. Breakaway was more like this!!:(

I wish all ships had this. I absolutely LOVE when they do this. The Spirit had it also in the back of the pool and we hung out there a lot. :)