The competition goes up a notch

kiawahdon

In case you missed it, FDR on Oceania's board just announced that Insignia is rejoining the O fleet in May of '14 and all three R ships will be getting substantial renovations during '14 dry docks. No matter how you parse his words, this news has got to put additional pressure on AZ to keep their ships updated IMHO.

FDR'sposting:

Insignia is indeed rejoining the fleet with her "maiden European voyage" scheduled for early May 2014.

Insignia, along with Regatta and Nautica, will all be dry docked in 2014 and will all undergo extensive refurbishments. The idea of installing Baristas in the space presently occupied by the Grand Bar is under consideration as is an expanded Terrace Cafe to include a grill. We don't see a feasible way to add a Bon Appetit cooking school. We are still very much in the planning stages but can confirm that the Owners and Vista bathrooms will get a total and remarkable re-do.

I think this will hurt Azamara if Azamara's prices continue to be higher than Oceania's and the A ships do not get a full dry dock.

Plus O is putting the incredible grill that is on the O class ships on its 3 R class ships -- lamb chops, filet, lobster tails EVERY NIGHT. There is nothing like it anywhere.

I booked my 2 Azamara cruises to expand my R ship options. One of the itineraries (Black Sea) is similar to Oceania's and I booked before the AZamazing feature, included alcohol (neither of which appeals to me) and price hike came into play. My goal was to give Azamara a try.

The second A cruise I booked has a unique itinerary -- pure Croatia -- so I might have booked that one anyway. It also plays well with a post cruise land vacation I have booked.

Now that O will have 3 R ships, I will have more options on O.

Should be interesting.

Plus O is putting the incredible grill that is on the O class ships on its 3 R class ships -- lamb chops, filet, lobster tails EVERY NIGHT. There is nothing like it anywhere.

Is this included, or an extra pay option? The only way in the past to get lobster on Azamara was at an extra pay restaurant. It is only odd because now Celebrity (mass market) has lobster tails on their last formal night (no formal dress required if in AQU and dining in BLU on that night).

Is this included, or an extra pay option? The only way in the past to get lobster on Azamara was at an extra pay restaurant. It is only odd because now Celebrity (mass market) has lobster tails on their last formal night (no formal dress required if in AQU and dining in BLU on that night).

On Oceania all of the specialty restaurants are included in the price of the cruise and Terrace cafe where the grill is, you can eat in every night (a lot of people do) it is a lovely incredible buffet.

Jancruz1

Maybe in the past that was correct, but not now. Lobster tails were served in Discoveries on our last Azamara Journey cruise in October. In addition, I understand they were also available on the seafood buffet which although we did not attend, wished we had after the rave reviews from many other guests

Maybe in the past that was correct, but not now. Lobster tails were served in Discoveries on our last Azamara Journey cruise in October. In addition, I understand they were also available on the seafood buffet which although we did not attend, wished we had after the rave reviews from many other guests

Hi Uktog,

Thanks for the update. Can you tell us more about the seafood buffet ? Is it a nightly occurence ? When I was on Journey last year, Azamara was featuring a stir-fry at the buffet, where a different item was offered (I believe) every night. One evening, there were huge Lobster tails. What a treat that was !!!

Happy New Year !

ON THE O class ships you can have lobster every night at no charge because they have this amazing grill at the buffet. That grill is NOT currently on the smaller R ships but it appears that when the 3 R ships are overhauled it will be. It is truly spectacular. On our transatlantic on Marina we never went to the GDR -- we ate at the buffet every night -- it was packed and for good reason.

And this is EVERY night -- not just for a special dinner or special buffet.

Hi Uktog,

Thanks for the update. Can you tell us more about the seafood buffet ? Is it a nightly occurence ? When I was on Journey last year, Azamara was featuring a stir-fry at the buffet, where a different item was offered (I believe) every night. One evening, there were huge Lobster tails. What a treat that was !!!

Happy New Year !

Hi Andy

On Journey they had themed buffet each night, one night it was Italian, one Chinese, the Indian one was outstanding and on another they featured seafood, prawns and lobster cooked to order, other fish etc etc. They also offered stir fry every night.

The Azamara buffets are excellent, a different league to what we had seen on Celebrity

Hi Andy

On Journey they had themed buffet each night, one night it was Italian, one Chinese, the Indian one was outstanding and on another they featured seafood, prawns and lobster cooked to order, other fish etc etc. They also offered stir fry every night.

The Azamara buffets are excellent, a different league to what we had seen on Celebrity

this is the one cruise line I enjoy the buffet. in Norway they stop for fresh fish and it is served-cooked in front of you- the next night. yummy!

my favorite night is Indian. they also do Greek night.

I had read about the wonderful seafood buffet before we cruised. I watched for it every night but they did not serve a seafood buffet on our cruise in September. :mad: :mad:

Azamara will still excel in one area which is the atmosphere of the ship. That can't be built into a ship. We enjoyed Oceania but loved Azamara. I was blown away that the captain actually knew my name. Never saw him on the Marina.

Azamara will still excel in one area which is the atmosphere of the ship. That can't be built into a ship. We enjoyed Oceania but loved Azamara. I was blown away that the captain actually knew my name. Never saw him on the Marina.

I agree completely with the remark about ship atmosphere. We liked the grill on Oceania--but it was the only place we got hot, decent tasting food. And I couldn't eat lobster or grilled food every single night--got bored eating the same food day after day. That was another thing--A's variety and creativity in their salads and main dishes is much better than O's.

And there are so many little "extras" that the staff does on Azamara that is never done on Oceania.

Azamara had me hooked when we left the ship overnight and came back to find big home made cookies in our room with "Welcome Home" iced on them! The individual attention provided on our cruise was wonderful.

Azamara had me hooked when we left the ship overnight and came back to find big home made cookies in our room with "Welcome Home" iced on them! The individual attention provided on our cruise was wonderful.

Got the same cookies--except reading "welcome back"--as part of a very nice basket of goodies on the first day of leg two of a back-to-back.

• 2 weeks later...

While I am impressed that the Azamara captain knew your name, I wonder if that might be because the Azamara ships carry fewer passengers than does the Marina. Last year on the Marina, we shared an elevator ride with the captain nearly every morning & on several other occasions. We found him to be humble and quite sweet. He spoke to us just like any other friendly passenger would.:)

I can't offer any comparisons since Azamara was our first and only cruise. But one day Tom and I were eating lunch at the buffet and Captain Johannes asked if he could join us...and of course we said yes and a bit later the physician joined us...can't remember his name...Leif or something like that. We had a very pleasant visit. Later, I'd thought maybe I should have gotten a picture...but in hindsight, I'm glad I didn't impose on him.

Even when I told some passengers on the ship, they were surprised by my story.

Another neat thing happened....we regularly met with some of the people who put on the shows for the ship....one afternoon we were invited by Fabio, the head chef, to tour the galley. Fabio and a couple of the guys who helped with the shows were good friends since they do some of the shows on a regular basis. Let me tell you....I thought it was fantastic that we were able to be a part of this.

Oh my goodness, I just read that Oceania and Regent are bringing back those awful art auctions. Sounds like a giant step backward to me.

So has Celebrity. I saw only a couple of people in attendance in December. Apparently the auctioned pieces are now by request.

So has Celebrity. I saw only a couple of people in attendance in December. Apparently the auctioned pieces are now by request.

Hi Jade,

I noticed they were back on Eclipse in November. Interesting to see, but there's a lot of $$$ in this. So glad Azamara does not offer it. One of the very few things I truly dislike on a cruise, but it can easily be avoided.

Archived