Princess Shows Getting Shorter

Nukesailor

To accommodate all the passengers who would like to see the nightly shows, Princess had two choices: shorten the times and have 3 shows each night, or expand the size of the theater. Scheduling three shorter shows seems the logical option.

There was definitely a third option—to keep things as they were with each show getting three playings over two nights. For those of you new to Princess or who can’t remember how well that schedule worked, I dug out my Patters from the Coral Princess 14 night Panama Canal in April 2009.

“What a Swell Party” Mon 8:15 & 10:15, Tue 8:00 (Princess Theatre)

Juggler Rick Novell Mon 8:15 & 10:15, Tue 8:15 (Universe Lounge)

Adrian Zmed in Concert Tue 10:15, Wed 8:00 &10:15 (UL)

Comedian (sic) Kevin Hughes Wed 8:15 &10:15, Thu 8:00 (PT)

Pianist Linda Gentille Thu 8:15 & 10.15, Sun 8:15 (UL)

“Motor City” Fri 8:00, Sat 8:00 & 10:15 (PT)

Hypnotist Erick Kand Fri 8:15, Sat 8:30 &10:15 (UL)

Classical Concert w/ The Ship’s Musicians Fri 10:15 (UL)

Ventriloquist Willie Tyler & Lester Sun 7:00 & 9:00, Mon 10:15 (PT)

Magician Garry Carson Mon 8:15, Tue 8:15 &10:15 (UL)

Kevin Hughes (new show) Tue 8:00 & 10:15, Wed 8:00 (PT)

“Tribute” Wed 8:15 & 10:15, Thu 10:15 (UL)

Comedian Lee Marvin Adams Thu 8:15 & 10:15 (PT), Fri 10:15 (UL)

Princess Orchestra—Big Band Salute Fri 8:15 (UL)

“Dance” Fri 8:15 & 10:15, Sat 7:00 PM (PT)

Movies were shown in either room when there were no late shows, other than the night of the Ultimate Deck Party and the Passenger Talent Show. To me this schedule was the best I have seen on any ship on any line (and as an aside, the CD was one who seems to be universally disliked on these boards). It pains me to have to repeat that I have heard the reason this was abandoned was too many passengers complaining that it was too difficult for them to keep track of what show was playing when and where.

They also seem to have reduced the number of headliners on a given route as well..

There was definitely a third option—to keep things as they were with each show getting three playings over two nights. For those of you new to Princess or who can’t remember how well that schedule worked, I dug out my Patters from the Coral Princess 14 night Panama Canal in April 2009.

“What a Swell Party” Mon 8:15 & 10:15, Tue 8:00 (Princess Theatre)

Juggler Rick Novell Mon 8:15 & 10:15, Tue 8:15 (Universe Lounge)

Adrian Zmed in Concert Tue 10:15, Wed 8:00 &10:15 (UL)

Comedian (sic) Kevin Hughes Wed 8:15 &10:15, Thu 8:00 (PT)

Pianist Linda Gentille Thu 8:15 & 10.15, Sun 8:15 (UL)

“Motor City” Fri 8:00, Sat 8:00 & 10:15 (PT)

Hypnotist Erick Kand Fri 8:15, Sat 8:30 &10:15 (UL)

Classical Concert w/ The Ship’s Musicians Fri 10:15 (UL)

Ventriloquist Willie Tyler & Lester Sun 7:00 & 9:00, Mon 10:15 (PT)

Magician Garry Carson Mon 8:15, Tue 8:15 &10:15 (UL)

Kevin Hughes (new show) Tue 8:00 & 10:15, Wed 8:00 (PT)

“Tribute” Wed 8:15 & 10:15, Thu 10:15 (UL)

Comedian Lee Marvin Adams Thu 8:15 & 10:15 (PT), Fri 10:15 (UL)

Princess Orchestra—Big Band Salute Fri 8:15 (UL)

“Dance” Fri 8:15 & 10:15, Sat 7:00 PM (PT)

Movies were shown in either room when there were no late shows, other than the night of the Ultimate Deck Party and the Passenger Talent Show. To me this schedule was the best I have seen on any ship on any line (and as an aside, the CD was one who seems to be universally disliked on these boards). It pains me to have to repeat that I have heard the reason this was abandoned was too many passengers complaining that it was too difficult for them to keep track of what show was playing when and where.

I think it worked better on ships with a better space ratio. Once the Caribbean Princess (with an extra deck/500 extra passengers) and later ships came out, it didn't work well.

I didn't really experience crowding issues in the theatre on Coral Class, Sun Class or the first few Grand class ships.

We have cruised Princess both before the change in show schedules and since the change. Our personal experience has been positive since the change. We now are able to do more than one thing in an evening. We find the evening schedule to have varied things to do and see. This helps in trying to please everyone with something they might enjoy. It isn't easy to please 2000 plus cruisers each night. :)

I used to love the string quartet that played in the atrium on evenings. They were very classy and it was wonderful to sit down there and listen to them or have them in the background while enjoying casual conversation.

On my last few cruises, there was a very loud and IMO annoying band that was just playing noise. No one was at Vines or Alfredos because it was too loud. The CD said people want this.

You would have enjoyed the 32 day Crown cruise we recently disembarked from with the wonderful La Bohemia string quartet performing often daily in the Piazza. :D

It hardly seems worthwhile to go to a show that is so short, which is what Princess wants, so that cruisers spend, spend , spend.

I may have another option. As I noted in a post last month, since Princess has made so many cut backs in the past year, it may sadly be time to say 'Good By'.

john

You would have enjoyed the 32 day Crown cruise we recently disembarked from with the wonderful La Bohemia string quartet performing often daily in the Piazza. :D

Good to know that type of music still exists, even if it is not on the ships I am on :)

I recently disembarked the Crown after 32 days with the shorter three show setup which for us worked better. We had early TD for the first 12 days & late TD for the 20 days & it was much easier for us to get seats and to not be rushed either to or from dinner.

It was no problem to arrive early enough to easily get a seat although like anything else on the ship from lectures to shows it doesn't completely prevent those who consistently show up in the middle of things & don't care about arriving on time. :(

I think I'm with you, Frank. I haven't experienced the shorter shows yet but think I would actually like it. I haven't gone to a show on a cruise for quite some time but I do like the idea of a shorter show and the schedule that seems to make it easier for everyone to see the shows.

No, that's definitely not the case. The orchestra does accompany I Got the Music, but, sadly, there is no string quartet on the ship to join them.

I stand (sit, actually) corrected. After reviewing the photos, the band is there for I Got the Music. They also played at the welcome aboard show, but I don't count that as a real show. But they were not there for the other production shows.

You did not miss much... we went to the last showing and the theater was only about 1/4 full. The show started late, stopped after 5 mins due to technical issues and then started again. Just a bunch of disco song strung together for 30 mins. It was OK but nothing to get excited about.

Entertainment was definitely not the best part of this cruise.

We saw about 15 minutes of the show before they cancelled. My opinion is that it seemed to be a random collections of songs with no cohesiveness. With the other shows being shortened, they, also, become just a bunch of songs with no substance. Consider - with an estimated average of 6 minutes per song, you only get 5 songs per 30 minute show. After they cancelled, we went up to the Adagio lounge and listened to the ship's band play jazz. They were excellent.

Art

We have always enjoyed the entertainment including production shows on all the cruiselines. Celebrity's entertainment on our most recent cruise was truly memorable. And we appreciated the shows before late seating for us late diners.

As a member of our local amature little theater, I would think that the shortened production shows affect the story, songs etc. It can't enhance the performance. However, it does allow for more to see the shows with the added show-especially with smaller theaters. Only, I hope the shows' quality isn't affected. I will soon find out when we sail to HI on the Sapphire in 3 weeks.

I don't quite understand why they now have three bands for dancing but no string quartet. It's obvious that games shows and reality TV-type entertainment are the future. And dancing. Lots o dancing. It's gotten so we count the number of times that word appears in the Patter every night. That's entertainment!

Maybe it's time for some dance lessons! :D

To be honest, most of the shows we have seen on Princess were basically musical reviews. Very little story other than to tie the songs together..

Given the type of show Princess tends to produce, I think 30 mins are just on the short edge of fine. The catch (and I haven't sailed since this was enacted) is offering enough options to fill the extra downtime.

If the 30 min shows means I can catch a show and a headliner who may only be on two nights, thats a plus. If it means I am back to the cabin 30 mins earlier, not so much.

We have always enjoyed the entertainment including production shows on all the cruiselines. Celebrity's entertainment on our most recent cruise was truly memorable. And we appreciated the shows before late seating for us late diners.

As a member of our local amature little theater, I would think that the shortened production shows affect the story, songs etc. It can't enhance the performance. However, it does allow for more to see the shows with the added show-especially with smaller theaters. Only, I hope the shows' quality isn't affected. I will soon find out when we sail to HI on the Sapphire in 3 weeks.

If the 30 min shows means I can catch a show and a headliner who may only be on two nights, thats a plus. If it means I am back to the cabin 30 mins earlier, not so much.

The problem is that there are less headliners in other venues. The headliners will have their 30 minute shows in the Princess Theater on the evenings that do not have a production show.

We actually like the new shorter shows. We were just on the CB last month and went to the 7:00 show each night. After dinner, we were able to catch the 9:00 movie. It worked well for us.

While we didn't have a string quartet, there was no shortage of live music. There was a great piano player, a steel drum/ marimba duo, as well as other bands around the ship.

I guess you can't please everyone, but we were just fine with it:)

Archived