BART San Francisco

donh1

We are arriving on the Grand Princess Saturday March 16. My intention is to have the cruiseline transfer our luggage to the SF airport. My question is how far is it from the cruise terminal to the BART station.

Weather permitting, our intention is to walk from the pier to the BART station. Is this reasonable. We have used the new Canada Line in Vancouver and hope to do similar SF. Thanks

We are arriving on the Grand Princess Saturday March 16. My intention is to have the cruiseline transfer our luggage to the SF airport. My question is how far is it from the cruise terminal to the BART station.

Weather permitting, our intention is to walk from the pier to the BART station. Is this reasonable. We have used the new Canada Line in Vancouver and hope to do similar SF. Thanks

It is an easy, flat and picturesque walk. Google maps shows 1.3 miles from Embarcadero Bart to Pier 35. It is popular walkway - nice and wide sidewalk right along the waterfront with world class views. Here is a link to map showing the route.

Incidentally, you will go right by the new cruise ship terminal at Pier 27 which will be in use for Americas Cup in 2013 before phase II to complete it as a cruise ship terminal for 2014. I saw it the other day and it is shaping up nicely.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=bart&daddr=37.7952054,-122.3940615+to:Pier+35,+1454+The+Embarcadero,+San+Francisco,+CA+94133&hl=en&ll=37.799883,-122.402287&spn=0.017803,0.035663&sll=37.799917,-122.401557&sspn=0.017803,0.035663&geocode=FQGrQAIdEV60-CGcwWhdBzXfISnVaTfkY4CFgDGcwWhdBzXfIQ%3BFYW1QAIdM2q0-CnlDY-WZoCFgDG3vAs-ZEK8pg%3BFTPlQAIdTzq0-CltgbFw-YCFgDHKpXZvpRVtlg&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dvme&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&z=15

Just make sure you have the exact amount for your Bart tickets. The machines don't make change.

Interesting, the machines at my station definitely give change. Mind you, it will be in quarters ... so don't put large bills in.

Better yet, use your credit or debit card. You can charge the exact amount you need.

More info here:

http://www.bart.gov/tickets/sales/index.aspx

Just make sure you have the exact amount for your Bart tickets. The machines don't make change.

Yes they do! You put in your money, and then you can used the subtract button to adjust the dollar amount of your ticket. Once the proper ticket amount is shown on the machine, push the issue ticket button and collect your change below. You can do this on every BART ticket machine.

Your plan sounds interesting. I would, however, double check to make sure that Princess offers the service of schlepping your luggage to and checking your bags in at SFO while you take BART. If you pack light (and with luggage that rolls) walking to BART is plausible from Pier 35 and would be easier than taking the F line (not luggage friendly.) The trek itself is flat. Another alternative would be to take a cab to the Hyatt Regency (5 Embarcadero Center) which is next to the Embarcadero BART station.

As far as the machines making change, they will only give up to $4.95 in change. There are also change machines that break $20 bills, but you have to look for them:confused:.

Of course, the machines also take credit and debit cards which resolves the change issue:p.

My understanding is that it works like Fort Lauderdale which was great. So long as if your flight is later than noon and it is a domestic flight Princess Cruises charges $20 per person to transfer the bags from the Pier to the airport. We simply claimed our bags and cleared customs then handed them off to transportation people at the pier. Next time we saw the luggage was in Syracuse. We have used the Princess transfer before but waiting while they load and unload 50 passengers is something we prefer to avoid. We've used the Canada Line in Vancouver to go from the pier to the airport and thought it was great. I really believe the Cruise Critic is a great place to acquire "insider knowledge" that enables people to travel more efficiently.

Archived