How do we handle travel insurance if we need to cancel?

treasure4two

Friends traveling with us have just found out the wife has cancer and will have her surgery about 1 month before a 18 day cruise and land tour in South America. They are waiting to talk to the surgeons, but if they are not able to go, do you all know what paperwork they need from her surgeons to give to Travel Guard? Any hints or stories with good or bad experiences people have had with Travel Guard? We have faith that she will be a survivor but not sure if she can make the trip. We are still going either way, but trying to help her with this issue, so less for her to worry about(even though this is so minor on the big scale and we know that!)Thank you for any help and positive help and hints.

They should call the Travel Guard customer service number that is on their trip insurance paperwork.

We were in contact with our trip insurance provider (Access America) 5 years ago when my Dad passed away. We had called them a few days before he passed, to find out what our options were, and they were extremely helpful. And after he did pass we called them again to find out what to do about filing a claim.

Friends traveling with us have just found out the wife has cancer and will have her surgery about 1 month before a 18 day cruise and land tour in South America. They are waiting to talk to the surgeons, but if they are not able to go, do you all know what paperwork they need from her surgeons to give to Travel Guard? Any hints or stories with good or bad experiences people have had with Travel Guard? We have faith that she will be a survivor but not sure if she can make the trip. We are still going either way, but trying to help her with this issue, so less for her to worry about(even though this is so minor on the big scale and we know that!)Thank you for any help and positive help and hints.

We had to cancel a cruise earlier this month ( work related issue), called Travel Guard, explained situatuin. They sent claim forms to us.

The key is to explain the reason fro cancellind as it is and everything will be ok, just ensure that you have all receips at hadn and proof of all payments.

JoanK

We had that situation in january, the insurance company said to call back when we had confirmed date from dr for procedures, since the date for surgery was one week past our cruise dates because the surgeon was backed up do to the holidays they didn't interfare with our plans, so we wouldn't be covered, so we took the cruise, although we certainly didn't enjoy ourselves do to our upcomping hardship.

When we canceled early this year I first called Carnival to tell them we were canceling. We had credits and pre-pads that needed to be handled. Then we called the insurance company to start the paper work process. Overall, the company (insurance) walks you through it. The paper work is pretty straight forward and the doctor got it back to us in about a week. We made copies of everything we submitted to the insurance company and we received payments when a couple of weeks. We did have a small error by Carnival, but that was cleared up quickly when both companies spoke to discuss the issue.

I am sad to report that we have had to utilize our insurance twice and the biggest delay were the doctors filling out the forms. They are so busy, you do need to stay on top of that part. But, the insurance part was very positive. Good Luck.

I currently have two claims pending for two trips I had to cancel in January and March for a health reason similar to your friend's. I sent the claims in a couple of weeks ago and the insurance company is processing them. For me the most complicated part was locating credit card statements showing payment for everything I was claiming (cruise payment, air fare, etc.) My doctor filled out his form right there in his office while I waited, so that helped speed things along. Good luck to your friend!

I can't speak for travel guard, as I had CSA on the cruise I had to cancel. They sound similar, though.

The insurance company will send out a claim form and instrucions. Mine was a short, two page form and the doctor had to fill in one small portion with diagnosis, reason I couldn't travel, and dates I couldn't travel. I also had to send with it credit card statements for initial deposit, final payment, and wait for the new one showing Carnival's refund of taxes/fees to send as well. Also a couple other small items like a copy of my booking showing the amount and booking #, who I booked with, and a copy of Carnival's cancellation policy. Once I submitted, I had a check just a few weeks later. It wasn't hard to do at all - I was able to scan and email all the documents needed.

I used Travel Guard and had to cancel our August cruise due to my husband's cancer. I had paid cruise, air, hotels, private tours, theatre tickets, and car. Call Travel Guard and they will open a claim and give you a claim number to use. They will sent the forms you need to fill out. You have a section to fill out and the doctor has his section to fill out. You have to provide the invoice/bill for example cruise/hotel, copy of cancellation/refund policy of that company and copy of credit card statement to show that the inovice/bill was paid.

I was told by them, it takes a month after they receive the claim. They will send you a letter (not email) if more information is needed.

• 1 month later...
I used Travel Guard and had to cancel our August cruise due to my husband's cancer. I had paid cruise, air, hotels, private tours, theatre tickets, and car. Call Travel Guard and they will open a claim and give you a claim number to use. They will sent the forms you need to fill out. You have a section to fill out and the doctor has his section to fill out. You have to provide the invoice/bill for example cruise/hotel, copy of cancellation/refund policy of that company and copy of credit card statement to show that the inovice/bill was paid.

I was told by them, it takes a month after they receive the claim. They will send you a letter (not email) if more information is needed.

Hope you read this and you do not mind answering here or on my e-mail

djdeshaies@carolina.rr.com

Did your husband have cancer when you booked and how much ahead did you book? Also, did they ask you if he was physically able to travel when you bought the insurance? Understand if questions too personal, but if you could answer, would be greatly appreciated!!:)

Hope you read this and you do not mind answering here or on my e-mail

djdeshaies@carolina.rr.com

Did your husband have cancer when you booked and how much ahead did you book? Also, did they ask you if he was physically able to travel when you bought the insurance? Understand if questions too personal, but if you could answer, would be greatly appreciated!!:)

I don't know if this will help as I am in Canada and used Travel Guard in Canada.

My husband was diagnosised in Nov 2010 and was being treated by one doctor. I booked the cruise (only deposit) in May 2011 and air (bought) in Sept 2011 for the trip in August 2012. I cancelled in April 2012 when he started chemo, final payment for the cruise was May 2012. Once I have bought the air I always purchase insurance at the same time.

I only took out trip cancellation and interruption insurance and did not have to fill out any medical questionnaire just the $ amount of the trip to be covered per person.

On the doctor's statement section of the Claim Form, there was a sentence "Did you advise cancellation/interruption of the trip".

I hope this helps.

Archived