Does anyone Know anything about Varig??

jezzdogg

Looking at tickets for Feb. to Santiago, Chile. Then Buenos Aires to Rio and then home to JFK. There prices are the lowest around 1000pp. Anyone know anything about this airline and who ae their code share partners

Mike

Many thansk, Do you know who they codeshare with so I can get miles???? Going to be a long trip

Jfk to Chile

Buenos Aires to Rio

Rio to JFK

might as well get miles under their us partner

VARIG is indeed a member of Star Alliance. However, that doesn't guarantee anything. Star Alliance has not been having much luck recently. Ansett Australia ceased operations. Air Canada went bust and is now back on its feet. United and US Air - well, you know about them.

VARIG used to be excellent. They have been losing buckets of money recently. Will they survive till February? Will the Brazilian government let 'em go or prop 'em up? It's your money, sport!

I traveled extensively to South America for Business, and on Varig several times. Nice, Clean, Comfortable airline. Good food, good service. They are a partner with United and I recieved United Miles, including the bonus miles for being a Premier member with United. I wouldn't hesitate flying with them. Hoe this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I also flew LAN Chile. Between Sao Paolo and Peru, and once from Lima to JFK. Again, a clean, organized, VERY GOOD food...enjoyed the wine on the flight so much that I attempted to find it in the US. The Business Class seats were also a little more comfortable than those on Varig.

I fly LAN at least 3 times per year, generally between LAX/Santiago, but once in a while, JFK/Lima. I am pleased with their service. And, as you stated, easy AA miles. I have flown Varig a couple of times. Nothing wrong with Varig, but if I had my choice, it would be LAN.

Well, well. On June 17th, VARIG filed for bankruptcy protection. Apparently, payments were due on 11 leased aircraft. I guess they couldn't make the payments and to prevent the aircraft being re-possessed, they filed.

Archived