Best snorkeling/beach excursion for solo female traveler?

bluegirlum

I'm going to be stopping in Cozumel in February on my cruise. I've been there twice, but was with other people (walked around the first time, chartered a deep sea fishing boat second time)--I'll be solo this time. I would like to do some snorkeling and have a relaxing beach day. I was thinking of doing the ship's excursion to Chankanaab, but now I'm reading that people don't love it.

Should I just go to Nachi Cocom and forget snorkeling, or should I still try Chankanaab? Is there some where else anyone would recommend? I don't have a ton of money to spend, but since this is the only port we stop at, I'd like to do something fun--while being safe.

Thanks!

I'm going to be stopping in Cozumel in February on my cruise. I've been there twice, but was with other people (walked around the first time, chartered a deep sea fishing boat second time)--I'll be solo this time. I would like to do some snorkeling and have a relaxing beach day. I was thinking of doing the ship's excursion to Chankanaab, but now I'm reading that people don't love it.

Should I just go to Nachi Cocom and forget snorkeling, or should I still try Chankanaab? Is there some where else anyone would recommend? I don't have a ton of money to spend, but since this is the only port we stop at, I'd like to do something fun--while being safe.

Thanks!

Try Playa Uvas. It is near Chankanaab but not as crowded. Offers good snorkeling, good service, massages, food and drink. They offer different packages.

When in doubt, Google.;)

The Money Bar offers great snorkeling from the shore (you enter the water via steps) as well as a sandy area for sunning/relaxing, good food and drinks, and is only a $9-10 cab ride from the pier area.

Chank offers good shore snorkeling but the admission fee and large number of families may not make it ideal for a solo cruiser.

Nachi is a great option for a quiet, relaxing, all inclusive day on the beach but unless you sign up for their snorkel excursion there's not much to see there except for sand. Good luck! :)

Yes - Money Bar is not that far from the piers and is a popular spot. Taxis in Coz are well regulated (unlike my recent experience in Philadelphia! :mad:) and relatively safe. There will be a price list for cabs posted by the cab line near your pier -- the posted price covers 1-4 passengers in the same cab, so join up with some others heading to the Money Bar and save $$ for more DODs! ;) Good luck! :)

I've been researching a similar topic for our cruise in February...I'll be traveling with my husband and our 3-year old, but I'll be the only one snorkeling. For the costs - and convenience for all of us - I've decided on Money Bar as well...

For the same costs (maybe even a little cheaper) check out Playa Uvas. It's just down the beach a little ways from the Money Bar so snorkeling will be similar, but it has a bigger beach area for your 3 yo. Also, they have a small, shallow pool that he/she could swim in with some floaties.

For a single person or a couple, you migh consider Playa Corona. My wife and I catch a cab there every year from the International cruise port. Only about $10 each way. Good snorkeling. Small beach area for sun bathing. Good food. Not crowded.

I've been researching a similar topic for our cruise in February...I'll be traveling with my husband and our 3-year old, but I'll be the only one snorkeling. For the costs - and convenience for all of us - I've decided on Money Bar as well...

Money bar does not have a beach only a rocky stairway into the water. Not ideal for a 3 year old. In fact, in the 3 times we've been there I've never seen a child under 12. You might want to look for somewhere more kid friendly.

@OP I would feel perfectly safe going to Money Bar by myself.

Thanks for the feedback...I think you've changed my mind! I just checked out Playa Uvas and it looks great...! :)

I'm thinking Playa Uvas too! I don't think I can go wrong at either one, but I like that there's a little more of a "beach" than just a drop off.

I'm thinking Playa Uvas too! I don't think I can go wrong at either one, but I like that there's a little more of a "beach" than just a drop off.

Playa Uvas has some good amenities that are not at Playa Corona. The snorkeling is good in this area. Chank, Uvas, and Corona are within a 1/2 mile of each other and share the rocky shore.

Thanks for the feedback...I think you've changed my mind! I just checked out Playa Uvas and it looks great...! :)

I think you've made a wise choice. It will make a much more relaxing day. The retaining wall that is 8 ft above the water line would be very nerve racking with a 3 year old.

@OP if you like beach, you too have made a good choice. Just for the record, it doesn't actually 'drop off' at the money bar. There is a railing with rock stairs under the water, at the bottom of the stairs you are in waist deep water before starting to snorkel.

One of the reasons we love it there is that there aren't any kids.

Contact Deanna Campbell in Cozumel... www.2dsdivingandtours.com

She has different tours and is a great hostess. We have been with her before, and are booked again in November. You won't be disappointed!

She's also on Facebook.... Two D's Diving and Tour Adventures

Email2dsdivingandtours@gmail.comWebsitehttp://www.2dsdivingandtours.com

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone been to any Cozumel tours? I am debating tours not offered through the Ship because I want to see a lot of Cozumel and snorkel (Dzul-Ha Reef) and the cruise does not offer such a package.. I have these three I am looking at. Has anyone tried these? If so - your thoughts? I would be travelling alone (female)..... Safe?

I would check with Eagle Ray - often suggested on these boards for scuba and snorkel tours. We had a great time with them a couple of years back - very safe and reliable. Good luck! :)

At Playa Uvas can you snorkel by yourself?

Can you take more than one of the guided snorkel tours is you wanted?

I love snorkeling and could do it all day.

Yes. They will give you the gear when you first arrive if you ask for it. Then you can snorkel on your own both before and after the tour.

They work with you on the time you want to do the tour and you can choose to do it right off the bat if you wish (and there are other guests that are ready).

I'm not sure, but I got the impression that the guide works for tips.

Yes. They will give you the gear when you first arrive if you ask for it. Then you can snorkel on your own both before and after the tour.

They work with you on the time you want to do the tour and you can choose to do it right off the bat if you wish (and there are other guests that are ready).

I'm not sure, but I got the impression that the guide works for tips.

Okay, this sounds just perfect and what I'm looking for. I booked with them and reserved my spot.

Thank you for the information.

Not good for snorkling, however, I saw solo when I took a taxi to Nachi cocom. They took very good care of me all day and I enjoyed the beach and food. When it came time to leave, they called a taxi and would not allow me to walk down the path to wait. They were adamant they would make the driver walk in to get me. You could tell they were concerned about my safety.

Archived