Grand Cayman on a Budget

Ceriti

We're looking to lay on the beach, snorkel if the mood strikes us, and have a few drinks. I've seen that you can rent chairs and snorkeling equipment along 7 Mile Beach, but haven't seen any particular vendors or cost. Can someone provide some insight?

This is our first time to the Grand Caymans. We will be there 1 day with our cruise and it will be my hubby's birthday.

Also, can I get recommendations for inexpensive good local cuisine?

I've already seen the bus routes and plan on using that, but looking for other "cost cutting measures" as well. This is the last stop of our trip and the only port we don't have an excursion booked. So I'm sure we'll have blown through most of our budget by the time we get here.:o

Not much snorkeling around 7 Mile Beach. Smooth sandy bottom. If you want inexpensive snorkel, try Paradise Restaurant. Just a couple minutes walk from the dock. Snorkel is free with your own gear. If you need to rent gear, it is available. Stii free to snorkel. No beach though. There is a restaurant with food, drinks and chairs. I'm not sure there is a cheap place to eat in Georgetown. Figure $1 USD to $1.25 GCD.

Eden Rock Dive Center lists mask, fins, snorkel and safety vest $14 a day

if that price is $CI for $US figure plus 20% ... or about $17 . . .

just MFS is $11

http://www.edenrockdive.com/Equipment/default.html

Sunset House Dive Shop (a mile down the road south of town) is $10US for MFS per website today

http://sunsethouse.com/rates_dive.php

when I go to CI and want to avoid the excess I go to Sunset (a mile, I walk it) - do a shore dive and/or snorkel (very similar to Eden, same area, then hit "My Bar" for libations and lunch. You're not going to find 'cheap' food or drinks in CI, but at My Bar you'll have a GREAT view, friendly staff, surrounded by divers (if you see anyone else during the day) and if you buy lunch and ask nice they usually say OK to using the pool and loungers (no charge to jump in and snorkel and if you buy a coke you can occupy a table at the bar all day). No place south of the port (until you reach south shore) has 'beach' this is 'iron shore' country.

the bar menu is here

http://sunsethouse.com/images/Menus/Restaurant%20Snack%20Menu%20Nov%20%2010%208_5X11%202011.pdf

note prices are CI and 15% gratuity is automatic on food. So, to convert from US, just think of it as a 40% tip . . .

Not much snorkeling around 7 Mile Beach. Smooth sandy bottom. If you want inexpensive snorkel, try Paradise Restaurant. Just a couple minutes walk from the dock. Snorkel is free with your own gear. If you need to rent gear, it is available. Stii free to snorkel. No beach though. There is a restaurant with food, drinks and chairs. I'm not sure there is a cheap place to eat in Georgetown. Figure $1 USD to $1.25 GCD.

Check that conversion rate. It's worse than you think! Your $1 US only gets you 80 cents Cayman. So a menu item that costs CI$4 will set you back US$5.

Paradise Reef and the neighboring Eden Rock are good snorkel sites within walking distance of the port. Snorkel gear rentals are available at each location.

You can find Caymanian style local food at a reasonable price at the Champion House II location in the MacDonald Square building at the corner of Fort Street and Edward Street (near the library). Island residents flock there for lunch but I bet most tourists overlook it.

Thank you for all the good information! Especially about the exchange rate.

Is it better to get Cayman currency on the ship, at a local bank, or do the shops/restaurants give current exchange rate on US currency?

I know in Canada some shops give you better exchange rate to entice tourists, but I'm guessing they don't need to do that in GC.

what about swimming with the stingrays.. they provide free snorkel equipment, then you get a few hours on the beach, and there is a good resuraunt there plus souveneer shop too. I think it's about $59 a person?

There are many companies offering tours to Stingray City starting around $40 per person; just Google "Stingray City tours." Two companies that have been recommended on Cruise Critic are Captain Marvin and Moby Dick tours.

We're looking to lay on the beach, snorkel if the mood strikes us, and have a few drinks. I've seen that you can rent chairs and snorkeling equipment along 7 Mile Beach, but haven't seen any particular vendors or cost. Can someone provide some insight?

This is our first time to the Grand Caymans. We will be there 1 day with our cruise and it will be my hubby's birthday.

Also, can I get recommendations for inexpensive good local cuisine?

I've already seen the bus routes and plan on using that, but looking for other "cost cutting measures" as well. This is the last stop of our trip and the only port we don't have an excursion booked. So I'm sure we'll have blown through most of our budget by the time we get here.:o

Do you know if you can go all the way to Hell using the bus and how much it would cost and how long would it take? Also, where did you find the bus info?

Thank you for all the good information! Especially about the exchange rate.

Is it better to get Cayman currency on the ship, at a local bank, or do the shops/restaurants give current exchange rate on US currency?

I know in Canada some shops give you better exchange rate to entice tourists, but I'm guessing they don't need to do that in GC.

The exchange rate is fixed between the CI$ and US$. It does not vary from day to day. Shops pretty much all use the same exchange rate with very little variance.

All shops will accept US cash. Change is almost always given only in CI$.

The merchant will calculate the US$ amount for all credit card charges and post the charge in US$. (Unless you have a debit card from a Cayman bank linked to a CI$ account.) Your credit card company does not do a conversion but be warned that some cc companies will still hit you for a fee for using your card outside the US.

Do you know if you can go all the way to Hell using the bus and how much it would cost and how long would it take? Also, where did you find the bus info?

Bus fare from George Town to Hell is CI$2 (US$2.50) per person, each way. Catch the bus at the depot next to the library on Edward St, a two block walk inland from the port. The ride should be about 20 minutes, allowing for stops by the bus to pick up and drop off passengers. Ask the bus station dispatcher which bus you should get on.

If you haven't been to CI before, keep in mind that the buses are not buses like in the US. They are minivans that are barely marked as such. They zip around and pick up/drop off. Just let the driver know where you are going. Seems like everyone is used to dealing with US $, so give you prices in US if you ask, and change will be in US too.

We took a bus from by post office to Hell - $2.50 US per person (each way) and took about 15 minutes. Coming back we zipped past Seven Mile Beach and could just ask him to stop along the way for us to get off. We didn't spend more than 20 minutes in Hell - just a souvenir store and a view of the rock formations that gave the area its name (with cheesy devil figures around). The shop will even stamp your passport for a donation (to prove you've been to Hell).

When we go to grand cayman we also do the same thing. We go to Eden rock and park our stuff at the restaurant. We have a 8 or 9 US dollar drink and then use the access area to get into the water and snorkel with our own gear. They are strong drinks so watch out! There is a sandy area but I wouldn't call it a beach where you can rent chairs, but no umbrellas that I saw. Also a dive locker where snorkel equipment and I think even towels can be rented. We stay for a few hours and then go shopping. It is a short walk to the right of the pier and you can hit the shops as you walk back. Out that way when we were there there was an outdoor market that had better souvenir deals.

Can anyone give me any information about taking a bus to 7 mile beach? We will be on the Carnival Legend, so where do we catch the bus? And what is the cost? Is it a lot cheaper than taking a taxi. We are a family of 5 and are on a tight budget. THANK YOU

Catch the bus at the depot next to the library on Edward St, about two blocks inland from the cruise piers. Cost is CI$2=US$2.50 per person, each way. You can pay in US$ cash but any change is likely to be in CI$.

Either route #1 or route #2 go to West Bay, and pass the entire length of Seven Mile Beach.

If you know what to look for, they are actually labeled with a coloured circle containing the initials of their destination. It's just more subtle than most Canadians or Americans are usually used to... :grin:

Does anyone know if you can catch a bus out to Rum Point to snorkel, or do I need to rent car?

Buses don't run that far. Rental car or excursion are the only feasible ways of getting there. (Too far for taxi - $$$.)

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back and had a great day in Grand Cayman. We walked down to Eden Rock and rented our snorkel gear there ($14US/pp for snorkel, mask, fins and lifevest). Some of the best snorkeling the whole trip was right out in front of Eden Rock.

After snorkeling we went to Paradise for a drink. Just keep track! 2 pina coladas and a beer set me back $32 with the included gratuity! It was cheaper to drink on the ship.

The last time I was in GC took the bus to Hell with my son ( he was 14 at the time) then also took the bus to Black Pearl- we felt very safe riding the bus- many locals on the buses and they were very friendly and helpful. I am going again next week and got a good deal on a tour booked through the ship that gives an island tour( inlcuding a stop in Hell) and trip to Tiki Beach ( along 7 mile) for $48.

Shirley

The last time I was in GC took the bus to Hell with my son ( he was 14 at the time) then also took the bus to Black Pearl- we felt very safe riding the bus- many locals on the buses and they were very friendly and helpful. I am going again next week and got a good deal on a tour booked through the ship that gives an island tour( inlcuding a stop in Hell) and trip to Tiki Beach ( along 7 mile) for $48.

Shirley

I'll be interested to hear about your tour next week. Please come back with a review. I'd like to know if the tour portion is worth it and how long you get at Tiki Beach?

Archived