10-Day Island Princess - Panama Canal Partial Transit - Chistmas Cruise Photo Review

LittleMissMagic

F

Aft pool:

8336558434_1f310fea9a_c.jpg

Royal Loyal here, following you to see the canal sites and for future reference when we start checking out other lines - Love the aft pool, would be nice to have a pool with a view, we love the Cantilevered hot tubs on the Royal Freedom and Oasis class, but I also always like looking at the wake of the ship.

Great so far!! Love the new decorations...hardly sedate though;) of course I am a bad judge my DD (the one who has been accepted to Design school...yeah!) says I am a beige-a-holic:p

We haven't sailed Princess since Alaska...we enjoyed it, but also felt that the pools were out-of-control! Too many kids, some literally leaping from the upper balcony into the pool, pool staff was just completely ignoring them:eek: And I agree that the "adult pool" was open far to often to the kids, I thought that was just an Alaska thing because it's the only "enclosed" one, but that seems not to be the case on your cruise either.

We are doing the S Caribbean you did last Christmas next November on Jewel. I am really looking forward to those ports. We had a cruise on Adventure that included Aruba, and while I love voyager class and think I we would have loved AOS, I wasn't nuts about the idea of Aruba...just doesn't look like a place an active couple like us would like. Panama canal looks really interesting, can't wait to see the photos!

Loving the photos...your dresses are lovely as always. Must be a Southern thing...my girls and I end up in the MDR with a wet pony and a pair of capris...we just don't do dressy, except for Formal Night;)

Thanks for the review!

Edited by Familygoboston

Royal Loyal here, following you to see the canal sites and for future reference when we start checking out other lines - Love the aft pool, would be nice to have a pool with a view, we love the Cantilevered hot tubs on the Royal Freedom and Oasis class, but I also always like looking at the wake of the ship.

Bill, That pool did remind me of the cantelevered hot tubs on Oasis...This one looks lovely! Nothing like a pool with a view:D

Great so far!! Love the new decorations...hardly sedate though;) of course I am a bad judge my DD (the one who has been accepted to Design school...yeah!) says I am a beige-a-holic:p

We haven't sailed Princess since Alaska...we enjoyed it, but also felt that the pools were out-of-control! Too many kids, some literally leaping from the upper balcony into the pool, pool staff was just completely ignoring them:eek: And I agree that the "adult pool" was open far to often to the kids, I thought that was just an Alaska thing because it's the only "enclosed" one, but that seems not to be the case on your cruise either.

We are doing the S Caribbean you did last Christmas next November on Jewel. I am really looking forward to those ports. We had a cruise on Adventure that included Aruba, and while I love voyager class and think I we would have loved AOS, I wasn't nuts about the idea of Aruba...just doesn't look like a place an active couple like us would like. Panama canal looks really interesting, can't wait to see the photos!

Loving the photos...your dresses are lovely as always. Must be a Southern thing...my girls and I end up in the MDR with a wet pony and a pair of capris...we just don't do dressy, except for Formal Night;)

Thanks for the review!

There were definitely days when I was thinking, "Where the heck is the cruise staff to tell these kids to stop?" One evening around 5 PM, a lot of kids ages 4-10 (really, there were 4 year olds swimming in the pool with no parents watching) without adult supervision were being completely dangerous by the lido pool. They were running all around the pool (ahh, no running by the pools! Learned that lesson the hard way when I busted my knee open at 5 years old), chasing one another and shoving eachother in. It was completely dangerous, and I was watching on the edge of my seat, afraid I was going to have to leap up and save a drowning child or carry an injured kid to medical services. Not only was I shocked at the poor parenting, but I couldn't believe that there wasn't a crew member there to tell them to stop running. I'm really surprised that no one got hurt, and I felt responsible and obligated to watch because there were no other adults paying them any attention.

Aruba is a total beach/sightseeing port. Not much for the adventurous folk. But Rachel loves the beaches, and if Rachel ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. The Panama Canal was awesome. I can't wait to share it!

Dressing up is a total southern girl thing. We wear dresses to football games in the south!

I am really enjoying your review. DH and I just booked this itinerary for next year. It will be our first Princess cruise, and we are really excited about it. Looking forward to the rest of your beautiful pictures.

So our 20 minutes at the castillo were up, and we all got back on the bus... or so we thought. Apparently, there was one guy traveling alone who was sitting in the front seat, and he had gone and bought a ticket to go inside, even though he was told not to. We were annoyed that he was delaying our tour, so everyone was saying to leave him since he didn't follow instructions. However, the tour operator had a bigger heart and went inside to find him. It was good to know then that he wouldn't leave us anywhere, even if we didn't follow instructions.

8337800075_3b52257a0b_c.jpg

DSC_6000 by vshingl, on Flickr

8338860338_12f2d08cf2_c.jpg

DSC_6001 by vshingl, on Flickr

8337799339_ab720b4595_c.jpg

DSC_6002 by vshingl, on Flickr

8337798921_924dee3b92_c.jpg

DSC_6007 by vshingl, on Flickr

Our next stop was the monastery. We had to pay an extra $5/person here to go inside, but it was well worth it.

8337798921_924dee3b92_c.jpg

DSC_6007 by vshingl, on Flickr

8338858762_49df827220_c.jpg

DSC_6013 by vshingl, on Flickr

The view from up here was amazing.

8337797633_050f474a16_c.jpg

DSC_6014 by vshingl, on Flickr

8337796997_4fb44ebac6_c.jpg

DSC_6018 by vshingl, on Flickr

8338857278_ae503136b9_c.jpg

DSC_6021 by vshingl, on Flickr

8337795837_f98671ee0e_c.jpg

DSC_6026 by vshingl, on Flickr

The tour guide took a real liking to my dad, despite a big language barrier with the tour guide not so great at English and my dad's terribleness with accents. So they walked all around the monastery together, the tour guide telling my dad all sorts of things.

8337795357_fc119ab9f9_c.jpg

DSC_6027 by vshingl, on Flickr

Interior courtyard -

8337794507_c311227e96_c.jpg

DSC_6028 by vshingl, on Flickr

8338855004_5a15983db9_c.jpg

DSC_6030 by vshingl, on Flickr

8337793669_aa9c15007f_c.jpg

DSC_6031 by vshingl, on Flickr

8338854084_4d216f6960_c.jpg

DSC_6032 by vshingl, on Flickr

8337792643_e16c7b8f5a_c.jpg

DSC_6034 by vshingl, on Flickr

8337775225_b8bcdc89c9_c.jpg

DSC_6076 by vshingl, on Flickr

8337774737_9b6eb40ae6_c.jpg

DSC_6077 by vshingl, on Flickr

8338835194_ca39c79ff3_c.jpg

DSC_6078 by vshingl, on Flickr

Rachel bought a little purse. She had heard they were only $1, but when she got there, the guy wanted $20. No thanks. He lowered it to $7 and wouldn't let Rachel give it back to him.

8338834754_40944753dd_c.jpg

DSC_6081 by vshingl, on Flickr

Thank you! :)

My camera is the Nikon 1 J1. My father's camera is the Canon EOS Rebel. And then my sister's camera (which hasn't appeared yet and won't until we get to port) is the Nikon AW100. If you're curious about which camera was used for a particular photo or even the settings used to take them, if you click on the filename link, Flickr will tell you what camera and the exact shutter speed, aperature, etc. for each photo. It's pretty !

Thanks for the camera and Flickr info! Especially cool is the Flickr info! I need a new website for my pictures....was using Webshots which changed to Smile. Don't care for Smile at all...Flickr may be it for me. Thanks again. :) And...I continue to enjoy your photo/review. Love your style!

We left old town and headed into the newer development.

8338831346_f8bcf9cb25_c.jpg

DSC_6099 by vshingl, on Flickr

8338830926_f97c50de16_c.jpg

DSC_6106 by vshingl, on Flickr

Our next stop was a museum. Rachel wanted to stay on the bus. "Oh, come on!" As soon as we got in, we realized it was an Emerald museum. Rachel loves jewelry. "And to think you were going to stay on the bus!" "I didn't know what kind of museum it was!"

8337769613_e6f34d8d47_c.jpg

DSC_6107 by vshingl, on Flickr

We got paired with a tour guide who showed us around. At the end of the tour, I saw a sign that said no photos. Oops. I wasn't the only one, though. Normally I check on these things, but everyone else was clicking away, so I didn't question it.

8337769301_5d0bc22fa6_c.jpg

DSC_6108 by vshingl, on Flickr

8337768797_6e80d01cda_c.jpg

DSC_6110 by vshingl, on Flickr

8338829216_c0b95b2bbf_c.jpg

DSC_6111 by vshingl, on Flickr

8337765775_72d7d543de_c.jpg

DSC_6112 by vshingl, on Flickr

8337765365_848c47d7d7_c.jpg

DSC_6114 by vshingl, on Flickr

Cleopatra's necklace. Rachel told me to take a photo of this.

8337764865_9b94d76d28_c.jpg

DSC_6115 by vshingl, on Flickr

8337764419_f11337d8f9_c.jpg

DSC_6116 by vshingl, on Flickr

Like Disney dumps you from rides into gift shops, they strategically dumped us from the museum into the jewelry store where our tour guide then attempted to sell us $24,000 jewelry. There were more reasonable pieces, but there simply wasn't enough time for us to decide to make a purchase. So we looked around for a bit, then left to get back on the bus.

Edited by LittleMissMagic

Like Disney dumps you from rides into gift shops, they strategically dumped us from the museum into the jewelry store where our tour guide then attempted to sell us $24,000 jewelry. There were more reasonable pieces, but there simply wasn't enough time for us to decide to make a purchase. So we looked around for a bit, then left to get back on the bus.

We took a Princess excursion in Cartagena and we also ended up at the tour guide's relative's jewelry store. Seems to be the way things are done there... :rolleyes: