yet another tipping question

ckr31

If I give a Bartender who has taken good care of me say like $30 does he/she have to share it with other crew members or is that theirs to keep

or what do I have to do to assure the tip I give the person is theirs to keep?

If I give a Bartender who has taken good care of me say like $30 does he/she have to share it with other crew members or is that theirs to keep

or what do I have to do to assure the tip I give the person is theirs to keep?

The tips are generally pooled amongst the staff. If you personally hand someone a tip and say it is for them only, it is then their conscience that has to deal with whether they pool the tip or not. I do not know if there is anyway you can be sure what someone would do in any situation.:D

The separate tips are generally pooled amongst the staff. If you personally hand someone a tip and say it is for them only, it is then their conscience that has to deal with whether they pool the tip or not. I do not know if there is anyway you can be sure what someone would do in any situation.:D

On second thoughts, perhaps a gift instead - an i-tunes card or something like that may be more personal and cannot be shared.:D

Stick with cash..

Bartenders are a special case. 15 percent is added to every drink automatically and that tips out the bar service team. Unlike the hotel charge, that's not optional. So anything you give to the bartender direct is theirs.

That said, a good bartender can and should tip out a portion to their servers if applicable and the support staff that handles them. When I tended bar back in my college days, servers and I split tips 50/25/25 where the 50 went to to the server, 25 to me and 25 back of house, and anything direct to me at the bar I tipped out 25 percent to back of house.

Here is what I was told on our most recent cruise from the passenger service desk. If you keep the auto tip function on your bill then any tips above hat amount the individuals get to keep, otherwise they go into the pool. When I asked how they knew if we had that option on or not she said they report the tips to their supervisor and they will advise them.

Not sue how true this is, but that's what we were told.

Here is what I was told on our most recent cruise from the passenger service desk. If you keep the auto tip function on your bill then any tips above hat amount the individuals get to keep, otherwise they go into the pool. When I asked how they knew if we had that option on or not she said they report the tips to their supervisor and they will advise them.

Yes. That's true. The one small detail missing is that the waitstaff or stewards turn in all tips. Their supervisor checks and if the tipper has left the auto-tip on, they get it back.

However, this doesn't apply to those not in the tipping pool, such as bartenders, bar staff, spa staff, etc. If you tip a bartender or bar waitstaff, whether in a bar, lounge or International Cafe, they get to keep the tip without turning it in. They often share with their fellow bar staff. All of the automatic 15% tips from beverages (everything from water to soda to beer, wine and alcohol) are pooled between all bar staff. Some bars or lounges are far busier than others so it's fairer for those in less busy lounges to participate.

I would be surprised if they would be checking which passengers had auto tipped and which did not but I suppose if the service desk said it maybe it does happen. :D

hi,on diamond in october we asked 2 waiters in wheelhouse bar and they said the 15% goes to them individually and they are rotated between busy and quiet bars.the staff behind bar are apparently on a hotel shared scheme.this was from horses mouth,so to speak,cheers brian.

hi,on diamond in october we asked 2 waiters in wheelhouse bar and they said the 15% goes to them individually and they are rotated between busy and quiet bars.the staff behind bar are apparently on a hotel shared scheme.this was from horses mouth,so to speak,cheers brian.

Them individually as the bar tenders or them individually as themselves? What about the waiters/servers? :D

It has always been my understanding that the automatic tip of 15% is pooled among the bar staff, however any additional tip that they receive is theirs.

That is what I thought, however, someone has implied that they still pool the extra tip.:D

That was my understanding as well. I was never sure if it was pooled per bar/night or shipwide however.

It has always been my understanding that the automatic tip of 15% is pooled among the bar staff, however any additional tip that they receive is theirs.

That may have been me, but I wasn't implying a pool. Many cases, the front of house people will voluntarily 'tip-out' a portion of the extra to the specific people who helped back of house that shift, if applicable (for example, if the same person is pulling and restocking barware or supplies). But this is a personal decision (although there tends to be a norm in a given establishment, I would suspect ships have their own culture). It's enlightened self interest - people with a stake in the outcome are more motivated to make sure the bartender has what they need to earn more tips...

That is what I thought, however, someone has implied that they still pool the extra tip.:D

That may have been me, but I wasn't implying a pool. Many cases, the front of house people will voluntarily 'tip-out' a portion of the extra to the specific people who helped back of house that shift, if applicable (for example, if the same person is pulling and restocking barware or supplies). But this is a personal decision (although there tends to be a norm in a given establishment, I would suspect ships have their own culture). It's enlightened self interest - people with a stake in the outcome are more motivated to make sure the bartender has what they need to earn more tips...

Personally, if you want to tip someone extra for their good service, why should you care if they share or not.:D

"taken good care of me", can you elaborate ? all I've experienced he/she makes me a drink, reaches over the bar and and a little small talk.

Tonya

Well Tonya. Personally, "taken good care of me" has meant things like personal attention which includes a cheerful disposition, knows my name after the first visit, knows my preferred drink, provides me with complimentary 'cheddar straws' and 'stuffed olives' (YUM!) without me asking for them. Talking with the cocktail stewart beyond the small talk. But, then I am a really likeable guy too. :D:D Often the bartender will come over and talk with me a bit as well. A lot of it is attitude from me and from the bar staff.

Well Tonya. Personally, "taken good care of me" has meant things like personal attention which includes a cheerful disposition, knows my name after the first visit, knows my preferred drink, provides me with complimentary 'cheddar straws' and 'stuffed olives' (YUM!) without me asking for them. Talking with the cocktail stewart beyond the small talk. But, then I am a really likeable guy too. :D:D Often the bartender will come over and talk with me a bit as well. A lot of it is attitude from me and from the bar staff.

It is these extra bits of service and with a smile that makes it all worth while. Of cousre they should be rewarded for going above and beyond. If they share it with someone else, who cares, you have still rewarded them.:D

I don't drink anymore, but I can think of many examples. A bartender who has your favorite drink ready before you sit down at the bar. Or if you have a special preference like brand of spirits remembers it 2 days later. That sort of thing.

"taken good care of me", can you elaborate ? all I've experienced he/she makes me a drink, reaches over the bar and and a little small talk.

Tonya

My best experience was, six months after our first cruise. We were on the same ship, and the bar tender from Lido bar who was now at another bar, I stopped to talk to someone just prior to sitting on a stool, when I did seat myself, there was my drink, with a smile of recognition. That is what I call service, and deserves an appropriate tip!!;) :D

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07Jun.0212 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 31 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24thh cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

25thcruise - Emerald Princess, 01 Oct. - 16 Oct. 2013, 16 Day Cruisetour, Toronto Via Quebec City to New York City

26th cruise - Royal Princess, 14 November - 01 December, 2013, Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

Archived