arranging for dining room food in cabin on bad evenings?

Virga

I'm a big Carnival fan - my last six cruises have been with Carnival. I like their food, I like their small ships (though the colors are not really my style!) and I especially like their prices. Unfortunately, I'm not having a lot of luck finding out if/how we would be able to sail on them with my dad.

He lost his wife this year, and I've been taking care of him. He isn't old - barely 60 - but he's pretty 'limited' in his mobility. Short walks can sometimes be completely exhausting, and long walks are nearly always out of the question. Sometimes even getting showered and dressed to go out is just not worth it, which is why we're going with an accessible balcony stateroom and will be using a wheelchair for the first time.

/stuffyoudon'tcareabout, sorry

Anyway, he's a food guy - really enjoys good meals. He's looking forward to the dining room and thinks that with open dining he can make it every night. I am... less than sure that will actually be the case, especially given the other cruising activities I imagine he'll want to see / participate in. Unfortunately, Carnival has been less than helpful.

I called in asking if there are cabin classes or maybe a for-fee program that allow us to order off the dining room menu either for pickup or room service if he's having a rough night - they gave me the number for Special Needs at Sea. Obviously an error, right? OK, fine, I emailed instead - and all they could tell me was that it's not normally done and we'd have to talk to the Maitre'D when we got onboard. Heh. The special needs department should damn well know that EVERYTHING requires extra planning when dealing with issues like this!

So, anyway, given that... Is there a decent chance that the Maitre'D would be willing be able to arrange for us to have dining room food available on a night-by-night basis? Would a well-tipped stateroom attendant be able to do this at his discretion? Surely a butler would, if we sprung for a suite?

I'm not thrilled about the idea of going to HAL or Celebrity - the lines that always do this - or springing for a grand suite on Royal or Princess or NCL, but I wouldn't be able to book Carnival without being fairly sure we'd be able to make this work. I'm sure he'd enjoy anything I brought him from the buffet, but it really would be a shame for him to miss out on one of his favorite vacation indulgences just for my lack of planning.

Thanks guys!

We had a window suite on the Caribbean Princess that wasn't all that much more than a regular balcony cabin (we did not have a balcony, but tons more room and perks). You could order anything off the MDR menu for room service to deliver.

Carnival doesn't have butlers nor MDR food thru room service.

Special needs told you correctly that MDR food isn't sent to the rooms. Sometimes things are decided on a case-by-case basis onboard.

For other question related to your father's requirements check out the Disabled Cruising Board.

When we were on the Breeze last month my husband wasn't feeling well one evening and missed dinner. As soon as the waitstaff heard this they immediately asked me if I would like to order something to take back to the room for him. So based on this it sounds like it would be possible.

On our first cruise, we saw lots of plates heading out of the dining room on one particularly rough sea day (night). I assume it was for people who were seasick, even though I doubt they were in any mood to eat. But based on this, I'm thinking you could take a plate of food back to your room. Good luck.

We had our toddler with us on our cruise in November and they allowed us to take food back to our room on bad nights. We had to go in and sit down to order, but as soon as the food was ready we were able to carry it out and down to our cabin. The wait staff even wrapped up some silverware for each of us so we wouldn't have to go to the Lido for some.

I sailed with my sister a few years back & she gets sea sick pretty easily. A couple of nights she was too queasy to make it to the MDR. I went to dinner in the MDR, as usual. Both nights I ordered for my sister and took her covered plate back to her. Just let the waiter/waitress know ahead of time and they will bring dinner, keep it covered & set aside until you leave. At least, in my experience, it wasn't an issue at all.

I hope you all have a wonderful cruise ;)

I know you mentioned a wheelchair, but have you considered renting a mobility scooter? Carnival's Special Needs department can give you a list of authorized rental agencies. We did this for my grandmother who had limited mobility when we cruised Carnival with her in 2008. It was an absolute lifesaver. She, too, got tired out from even short walks, and we knew there was no way she would be able to walk the length of the ship to go to dinner, or to go to a show, or anything else she might like to enjoy. The scooter was waiting for us when we embarked, and she used it everywhere. It really saved the cruise and allowed her to participate in anything she wished to do. Very seamless process and they do it all the time. You don't even need an accessible cabin for them.

I can't believe I didn't know/realize Carnival doesn't have butlers for their suites! Although, really, I feel like a decent stateroom attendant provides all the services I'd ever care about from butlers and I imagine the suite attendants are particularly good.

Regardless, it sounds like even if I can't get any help from the Maitre'D , my waitstaff will likely be understanding - and who knows, maybe the sea air will do my Papa a lot of good and he'll listen to the pool band all day and always make it to dinner =)

you could certainly accomodate this easily is a full suite on NCL with a butler.

I do think with some effort, though, you can on Carnival.

Email the maitre D' on your ship in advance. Have in mind what you want - would the rest of the family eat in the MDR, and want to bring something back?

Last resort, but not a bad option, is the family bringing back trays from the buffet and eating together in his room. Choose wisely, and you can get some very nice food options - I'm sure your Dad would love them, and the company! This might be easier than relying on special options.

SO, easiest, and loveliest, NCL suite with butler. Pricey.

But see above re Carnival, surely it will work!

your best bet would be to go ahead and email the maitred on the ship you are going on and addressing your concerns with them directly before you go

And this is BRILLIANT - feel silly for not thinking of it myself. Thanks!

Also, I had considered John Heald, but honestly if it were something that took those kind of connections, I don't think Carnival would be the line to choose for him.

As for the scooter... He has some mental block against assist devices of all types - wouldn't use a cane for sooo long, I finally got him using a trekking pole =P Regardless, he is (grudgingly) willing to use a wheelchair (walking behind it himself when possible) but I am fairly sure I can't sell him on a scooter yet. Actually, that's part what this is about - to show him how much more he can do when he's in a place with accessibility built in and uses some 'crutches' to make things easier.

I know someone who is also an avid cruiser and a travel agent. She travels frequently with another cruise line. She cruised with family one cruise and became ill during the cruise. Her family went to the dining room still. the Matri D noticed she wasn't at dinner one night and fixed a order and sent it back with her family for her. So maybe if you go order it you can take it back to the room.

I went to dinner in the MDR, as usual. Both nights I ordered for my sister and took her covered plate back to her. Just let the waiter/waitress know ahead of time and they will bring dinner, keep it covered & set aside until you leave. At least, in my experience, it wasn't an issue at all.

Agreed, it can be done. Our waitress did this for one of the people at my table on the last cruise as I heard her ask the person: "Shall I get that dish ordered from the kitchen now?", when we were reaching the end of the main course. Normally they want to order all food at one time, but if you speak nicely to your waiter then he/she might accommodate you and delay that one order. It will likely not be feasible for liquid dishes like soup, but meat/deserts probably would be agreed to.

Just one thing to remember - the food arrives in the dining room warm (NOT hot) at the best of times, so if your dad would be unhappy with cold food, then:

- you might have to take his food to him immediately and come back to finish your plate; or

- you might want to get the food from the buffet instead - at least that way you can take food from the bottom of the tray (which is closest to the boiling water underneath the trays. (Not suggesting fingers in the food servers - before I get flamed :p ).

Agreed, it can be done. Our waitress did this for one of the people at my table on the last cruise as I heard her ask the person: "Shall I get that dish ordered from the kitchen now?", when we were reaching the end of the main course. Normally they want to order all food at one time, but if you speak nicely to your waiter then he/she might accommodate you and delay that one order. It will likely not be feasible for liquid dishes like soup, but meat/deserts probably would be agreed to.

Just one thing to remember - the food arrives in the dining room warm (NOT hot) at the best of times, so if your dad would be unhappy with cold food, then:

- you might have to take his food to him immediately and come back to finish your plate; or

- you might want to get the food from the buffet instead - at least that way you can take food from the bottom of the tray (which is closest to the boiling water underneath the trays. (Not suggesting fingers in the food servers - before I get flamed :p ).

I think I'm going to ask (via email) the Maitre'D about the possibility of my BF and I going to open dining, placing the whole order, enjoying a little private time with wine and appetizers, and then taking all the remaining food immediately to the room to eat with him. Does that sound like an excessively forward request? We're usually the world's least picky vacationers, but I'm trying to really make this first 'family vacation' special and particularly enjoyable for us all.

NCL , Celebrity and others have Butler Class (suites)

some lines like HAL will bring HOT dining room food to your cabin

The "to go" idea (ie, you and hubby eat in dining room and take a meal back) probably works best on Carnival

I would NOT trust them to actually deliver hot meals...sometimes they don't even deliver room service or forget it and sometimes a meal in the dining room takes really long and they forget stuff. You are better off taking it back yourself

*and you might wish to go up to the buffet and take anything else you want/need from there....the food up there is pretty good and sometimes better than some of the stuff in the dining room on my last few Carnival cruises.

I'm a big Carnival fan - my last six cruises have been with Carnival. I like their food, I like their small ships (though the colors are not really my style!) and I especially like their prices. Unfortunately, I'm not having a lot of luck finding out if/how we would be able to sail on them with my dad.

He lost his wife this year, and I've been taking care of him. He isn't old - barely 60 - but he's pretty 'limited' in his mobility. Short walks can sometimes be completely exhausting, and long walks are nearly always out of the question. Sometimes even getting showered and dressed to go out is just not worth it, which is why we're going with an accessible balcony stateroom and will be using a wheelchair for the first time.

/stuffyoudon'tcareabout, sorry

Anyway, he's a food guy - really enjoys good meals. He's looking forward to the dining room and thinks that with open dining he can make it every night. I am... less than sure that will actually be the case, especially given the other cruising activities I imagine he'll want to see / participate in. Unfortunately, Carnival has been less than helpful.

I called in asking if there are cabin classes or maybe a for-fee program that allow us to order off the dining room menu either for pickup or room service if he's having a rough night - they gave me the number for Special Needs at Sea. Obviously an error, right? OK, fine, I emailed instead - and all they could tell me was that it's not normally done and we'd have to talk to the Maitre'D when we got onboard. Heh. The special needs department should damn well know that EVERYTHING requires extra planning when dealing with issues like this!

So, anyway, given that... Is there a decent chance that the Maitre'D would be willing be able to arrange for us to have dining room food available on a night-by-night basis? Would a well-tipped stateroom attendant be able to do this at his discretion? Surely a butler would, if we sprung for a suite?

I'm not thrilled about the idea of going to HAL or Celebrity - the lines that always do this - or springing for a grand suite on Royal or Princess or NCL, but I wouldn't be able to book Carnival without being fairly sure we'd be able to make this work. I'm sure he'd enjoy anything I brought him from the buffet, but it really would be a shame for him to miss out on one of his favorite vacation indulgences just for my lack of planning.

Thanks guys!

Anything is possible. Just talk to the maitre d'.

Obviously, after committing to your cruise.

There is always the possibiry the sea air will do something, or you can always make a plate/meal from the Lido.

my grandfather had mobility issues so we always booked on smaller cruise ships when he could go with us. there are some really good lines who sail with less than a thousand passengers, very few children, and are all about providing service to those who may need assistance, which is often half the passengers. room service is very much about hot meals in the privacy of your own cabin.

i would book one of these before i would have ever taken my granddad on carnival. just like with kids and teens, i think you should cruise where the person you are going with will have at their disposal what they need to make their experience terrific. if your dad is a foodie and wants to be wined and dined i really don't think carnival should be on his agenda.

I think I'm going to ask (via email) the Maitre'D about the possibility of my BF and I going to open dining, placing the whole order, enjoying a little private time with wine and appetizers, and then taking all the remaining food immediately to the room to eat with him. Does that sound like an excessively forward request? We're usually the world's least picky vacationers, but I'm trying to really make this first 'family vacation' special and particularly enjoyable for us all.

I would not even hint (at this point in time) that it is your plan for them to plate up something like 3/4/5/6/7 plates of food for you to take out of the dining room, because when he hears that you want to take your food out too, then he may get a bit stuck-up over the issue of you carrying a large mountain of domed plates out with the risk of you dropping them along the way, leaving a trail of mess for his people to clean up. All I would ask for at this point is:

- open dining for your group at a private table as your dad is not well (so as not to look rude when you get up from a huge group table every evening after the first course),

- approval that if he is not well at all (to the extent that he can't leave the cabin), that you could then take him a plate of food. (Don't go into detail).

Also, what size cabin(s) are you getting? Even with 2 cabins, there will not be much space for 3 people to sit and have a comfortable dinner. Perhaps the suites have a dining-sized table and chairs, but anything from balcony down could mean someone is sitting on the bed eating their food. Not exactly relaxed dining.

Not nix-ing your idea - but just want to give you all practicalities here.

The OP said that her father has limited mobility but will have a wheelchair and he wants to go to the dining room for his meals as he is a foodie. My suggestion, like some others, is why not do YTD so he is not rushed and can go when he is rested and able to handle it. Give it a try and see if he can manage then they won't have to try and arrange to take food back to him. If he can only handle two or three outings a day make the MDR one of the outings. I have seen people with almost NO mobility out and about and having the time of their lives - having limited mobility does not mean he has to stay in his cabin just can't do taxing activities (even going to dinner can be taxing for some people). It is awesome you want to make this as enjoyable as you can. I am sure he will tell you what he wants to do, can do or prefer not to do.

Why risk taking a chance on you vacation. Celebrity has full in room dining for any meal for any cabin; balcony or inside. You don't have to get a suite. Their other free amenities are nice too. Shop and you'll find a price equal to Carnival.

Archived